(Topic ID: 155964)

Yet another gameroom build thread

By amkoepfer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3190 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0312 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0311 (resized).JPG
    andy_toilet (resized).png
    20170605_212447 (resized).jpg
    20160917_160529 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122704 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122732 (resized).jpg
    20160916_164726 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175337 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175343 (resized).jpg
    20160820_213941_(resized).jpg
    20160813_140622_(resized).jpg
    20160819_193753_(resized).jpg
    DSCF0002_(resized).JPG
    DSCF0001_(resized).JPG
    There are 603 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
    #301 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

"Insurance covers stupid".

They do but they could drop you after that.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:They really just want you to pull permits so they can reassess your house and jack up your property taxes. Eff them.

You will need them if you ever want to sell.

#302 7 years ago

Guess i cant sell! I bought afci outlets today for the first outlet off of each circuit down there to protect me if a staple is in too tight or anything, plus i got gfci for the kitchen area and bathroom.

#303 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Guess i cant sell! I bought afci outlets today for the first outlet off of each circuit down there to protect me if a staple is in too tight or anything, plus i got gfci for the kitchen area and bathroom.

In my garage I had to put Tamper Proof outlets on all the walls. Tamper Proof in a garage??? Did you have to put those in your gr?

#304 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

not in most areas. You just say you bought the house like that/with the work done.

No permits needed to sell.

#305 7 years ago

Tamper proof? I havent put any of those in, just regular 20a outlets (15a where its on a 15a circuit)

#306 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

not in most areas. You just say you bought the house like that/with the work done.
    No permits needed to sell.

As i said, shhhhh this build never happened!

#307 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Tamper proof? I havent put any of those in, just regular 20a outlets (15a where its on a 15a circuit)

I'm working on remodeling my basement and decided to be a good citizen and get the permit. Now I'm stuck buying over $300 of expensive AFCI breakers and have to put tamper proof outlets (which I hate) everywhere!!

#308 7 years ago

I sold my house recently near to Andy's with a finished, unpermitted basement and had only one problem: $70k over tax appraisal sales price.

#309 7 years ago

Why are these tamper proof outlets the norm?

#310 7 years ago

Howie, the appraisal from the bank passed though right? I dont think this area cares at all. My last house had a partially finished area and they never had to show permits or anything when we bought it

#311 7 years ago

I just read up on them a bit. 2400 kids a year get shocked or burned from non tamper resistant recepticles. I still will not be using them unless the ones i bought for some reason already are

#312 7 years ago

One positive of Tamper Proof receptacles beyond child safety is that cords are in tight and will not fall out. I replaced every outlet in my home with them when I switched everything over to my Wink system and put in Decora style stuff which I believe is a worthwhile upgrade for better looks.

#313 7 years ago

Since im getting close to paint, whats the best way to clean the drywall dust off the walls before paint? Shop vac? Rags?

#314 7 years ago

Is the answer not Novus 2?

#315 7 years ago

That does fix everything!

#316 7 years ago

Evaporust?

#317 7 years ago

The bank appraisal came through right on the number. Tax appraisals and many real estate agents just base the price on square footage, land area and local comparables (if any). Hardly anyone looks at things like finished basements, quality of build, etc. Thank God the bank assessor did.

#318 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Since im getting close to paint, whats the best way to clean the drywall dust off the walls before paint? Shop vac? Rags?

I would think shop vac everything and everywhere, constantly removing the filter, taking it outside and blowing it out. Rinse and repeat MANY times till almost nothing blows out of the filter. Also get those shop vac bag liners for it, they catch alot of bigger stuff so you filter does a better job. Or a big exhaust fan with an attached hose that could be run out a basement window, open an opposite wall window then grab your electric leaf blower and go nuts blowing towards the exhaust fan.

#319 7 years ago

According to my real estate agent, no one cares about permits when you go to sell and I won't have any issues.

Quoted from jathomp22:

I'm working on remodeling my basement and decided to be a good citizen and get the permit. Now I'm stuck buying over $300 of expensive AFCI breakers and have to put tamper proof outlets (which I hate) everywhere!!

I'm so glad I didn't have to go that route. They take up so much space in the panel, are so expensive and according to my electrician can cause all sorts of issues. He said they like to false trip for no reason at all. I would have had to add a sub panel if I went the AFCI route because of not being able to use the double pole breakers.

#320 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Bucket of water and a sponge wipe whole wall down with a light pass. My dad did drywall and this is how he prepped wall before he spraid texture.

#321 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

According to my real estate agent, no one cares about permits when you go to sell and I won't have any issues.

In my town I could not sell my last house until I got a permit for my back deck. It was get a permit and inspection or tear it down. And you are correct in one aspect that a permit is nothing its the CO that counts. When the square footage of your living space doubles from when you purchased it and there is no explanation of where it came from and your mortgage lender wants to see COs on all the areas that are finished in your house it could cause the lender to refuse the buyer a loan. In your area gas milage may vary.

#322 7 years ago
    Quoted from 80stoonpin:

Bucket of water and a sponge wipe whole wall down with a light pass. My dad did drywall and this is how he prepped wall before he spraid texture.

Thanks! That may be easier since im sweeping and mopping the floor over and over anyways

#323 7 years ago

Not too wet, or you'll "raise the grain" of the wallboard paper. This method also helps as a final pass to smooth any remaining lines/imperfections in the plaster.

#324 7 years ago

You're from New York. Don't you need a permit for everything there? In Michigan and Ohio, finished basement square footage doesn't count unless you have a walkout.

"In my town I could not sell my last house until I got a permit for my back deck. It was get a permit and inspection or tear it down. And you are correct in one aspect that a permit is nothing its the CO that counts. When the square footage of your living space doubles from when you purchased it and there is no explanation of where it came from and your mortgage lender wants to see COs on all the areas that are finished in your house it could cause the lender to refuse the buyer a loan. In your area gas milage may vary.

#325 7 years ago

Here on the mi/oh line we like our guns concealed, or openly carried, our beer cold, and our buildings illegal!

#326 7 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

You're from New York. Don't you need a permit for everything there?

It sucks here in NY. It will soon be time to get out of this state when my kids finish college.

#327 7 years ago

Come on over to the toledo side of the world!

#328 7 years ago

Drunk. No updates besides my liver hates me

#329 7 years ago

Today is 6 months since i started this project. 153 pieces of drywall (more scrap than i care to admit), 3 harbor freight rotozips later, drywall is done!!!

#330 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Today is 6 months since i started this project. 153 pieces of drywall (more scrap than i care to admit), 3 harbor freight rotozips later, drywall is done!!!

Congrats on the drywall being done.

Only six months??? Had I done my own....I might have only gotten the framework done in that time. Got to feel good to see your hard work come to fruition.

#331 7 years ago

Oh ya it does. I keep waiting to hear a huge crash and find all of my walls on the ground! Now i get to clean up and focus on paint

#332 7 years ago

Congrats!!

#333 7 years ago

In my town I could not sell my last house until I got a permit for my back deck. It was get a permit and inspection or tear it down. And you are correct in one aspect that a permit is nothing its the CO that counts. When the square footage of your living space doubles from when you purchased it and there is no explanation of where it came from and your mortgage lender wants to see COs on all the areas that are finished in your house it could cause the lender to refuse the buyer a loan. In your area gas milage may vary.

In my part of ny, finished basements cannot add to the Sq footage of the house when trying to sell.

#334 7 years ago

I believe its the same here, since no house we ever looked at with one added it to the sq footage

#335 7 years ago

I remember the same being true in Michigan when we were house-hunting a couple years ago.

#336 7 years ago

If you shop vac the drywall dust, keep your ears open for a pitch change on the motor. It's easy to burn it out if the filter is clogged with drywall dust...which will happen a lot if you don't clear frequently.

#337 7 years ago

Cleaned up a bit and started mopping tv riom (well the kid did)

20160615_141937_(resized).jpg20160615_141937_(resized).jpg

20160615_141947_(resized).jpg20160615_141947_(resized).jpg

20160615_141955_(resized).jpg20160615_141955_(resized).jpg

20160615_142004_(resized).jpg20160615_142004_(resized).jpg

20160615_142040_(resized).jpg20160615_142040_(resized).jpg

20160615_142045_(resized).jpg20160615_142045_(resized).jpg

20160615_142056_(resized).jpg20160615_142056_(resized).jpg

20160615_142108_(resized).jpg20160615_142108_(resized).jpg

20160615_142116_(resized).jpg20160615_142116_(resized).jpg

20160615_142132_(resized).jpg20160615_142132_(resized).jpg

#338 7 years ago

20160615_142140_(resized).jpg20160615_142140_(resized).jpg

20160615_142149_(resized).jpg20160615_142149_(resized).jpg

#339 7 years ago

Recessed lights for the win!

Got them on dimmer switches?

#340 7 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Recessed lights for the win!

No. Child slave labor for the win!

#341 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I believe its the same here, since no house we ever looked at with one added it to the sq footage

Different areas have different rules usually walkout you can add Sqft to listing even if you can't the agent will list liveable above ground space the add a comment like bonus sqft in basement. In the end if done right you will add value if you sell.

#342 7 years ago

I'm at basically the same spot with my game room build as you are. You are motivating me to work faster! What I did after some research was to brush off as much dust as I could with my hand. I did this at the same time I was blending in the mud edges, starting with the ceiling. I then vacuumed out all the boxes and the base of the walls using a drywall vacuum bag so I wasn't spreading dust around. Then I mopped like you did. I'm currently debating if I want to put up another coat of paint due to some roller marks that are visible due to a window.

Didn't know that permitted basement space couldn't be added to the homes square footage. That sucks, I was planning on that when I go to sell. Thanks for the other random ideas too that I hadn't thought about

#343 7 years ago

No dimmers yet, im waiting until finishing is completely done but they will all be on dimmers! Definately child labor. He couldnt wait to help me mop for some reason

#344 7 years ago

With where im at i can already tell theres a lot id do differently if i did it again. For one id cut the outlets in about half. I will not want for outlets down there. I do still have to vacuum out the boxes and some other random stuff, and mop more, but he really wanted to help me mop so i let him

#345 7 years ago

Send him to my house when he's done there. My floor really needs mopped of all the drywall dust too.

#346 7 years ago

Haha. I figure 150 an hour and you get his dads help!

#347 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Definately child labor. He couldnt wait to help me mop for some reason

That's great. I think he has earned a trip to the DQ for a malt or something.

#348 7 years ago

He got something better. His dinner tonight! Haha. He got a frosty from wendys. His favorite

#349 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Didn't know that permitted basement space couldn't be added to the homes square footage. That sucks, I was planning on that when I go to sell.

I wouldn't want it included just so I didn't have to pay taxes on it. I mean, if I go look at a house, I can figure out fairly quickly that the basement is livable space and would be happy that I wouldn't have to pay extra taxes for it.

Now, getting the bank to approve a loan for it (if you are financing most of it) might be a challenge.

#350 7 years ago

Started doing a little painting with a good paint sprayer, got one part of the ceiling done and it quit working. Guess it wasnt so good. Took it apart, and it blew a fuse

There are 603 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-gameroom-build-thread/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.