(Topic ID: 155964)

Yet another gameroom build thread

By amkoepfer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3190 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0312 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0311 (resized).JPG
    andy_toilet (resized).png
    20170605_212447 (resized).jpg
    20160917_160529 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122704 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122732 (resized).jpg
    20160916_164726 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175337 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175343 (resized).jpg
    20160820_213941_(resized).jpg
    20160813_140622_(resized).jpg
    20160819_193753_(resized).jpg
    DSCF0002_(resized).JPG
    DSCF0001_(resized).JPG
    There are 603 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
    #51 8 years ago

Definately no on the popcorn, hate the look of it. Jhanley, i could see that being me if you saw my texturing! I may practice a bit and see if i can do it, but ill probably hire someone for it

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Definately no on the popcorn, hate the look of it. Jhanley, i could see that being me if you saw my texturing! I may practice a bit and see if i can do it, but ill probably hire someone for it

Believe me ,you won't be sorry.I can do most things but I know when I'm licked.

#53 8 years ago

We went with a rough, knock-down texture. Skim coat, then randomly whacked it with the trowel. When dry, knocked off any excess and rough spots. My contractor suggested. I think looks pretty good in my basement.

3-28-2016_2-12-35_PM_(resized).png3-28-2016_2-12-35_PM_(resized).png

#54 8 years ago

That looks pretty cool, its nice and random which makes it look awesome

#55 8 years ago

If I was in your area I would come do the drywall in trade for a pin!

#56 8 years ago

Haha, take a trip to toledo! Ill put you up

#57 8 years ago

Andy, are you going to need a beer fridge? I have one from the old house?

#58 8 years ago

I have a small one, about dorm room sized, maybe a little bigger, it fits around 60 beers (always keep it full!!) Is yours a full sized fridge? Im not sure i could fit a full size one.

#59 8 years ago

My new house came with a full sized garage fridge that I won't be needing. It's works, but it's dirty and needs to be cleaned up. If you want it, you can have it for cheap.

#60 8 years ago

No thanks howie, ill pass. I built my kitchen area around a mini fridge and a full size one wont fit. Thanks though!

#61 8 years ago

What Pin?

drywall does suck

but here is a tip don't let your wife do work on the walls no matter how minimal.

I learned the hard way and had to fix the mistakes when we bought a house last year.

#62 8 years ago

Ya she wont touch it. I already have some touchups on an outlet and a light or 2 from the rotozip getting away from me. Those things will melt plastic gang boxes fast!!!! I dont know if i could bring myself to trade a pin for drywall work! I am probably going to sell one though to cover about half the cost of the carpet. Possibly strange science. I do also pay in beer for drywall work!!!!!

#63 8 years ago

Can't do drywall, but I'll help set up your games when it's time

#64 8 years ago

Always need help setting up games, and testing games, cleaning games, and most importantly....drinking my beer! Hows your room coming along?

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Consider putting in some pvc pipe in the ceiling with some access in case you want to run more wire down the road.

You have lots of pot lights there. Most of them can come apart to give you access above. Looks like you could easily refit some long runs.

There are stores that sell only drywall stuff. Go there and ask for references to local contractors and guys that do side jobs. Promise them some cash if there reference pays off. A few years ago I gutted my kitchen and laundry. The guy I found this way just wanted $300 which amounted to $50+ per hour for him. I did have to hang the board but he did sand when he was done. He was good enough that it barely needed sanding...

#66 8 years ago

Games are all up, but no decorations. Waiting on electrician to change out 2 prong 15 amp circuit for two 20 amp circuits. My games and beer supply need testing. No cleaning needed.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

This will be my em room and music room

Don't think you'll be able to hear any music with all the bells and chimes going off.

#68 8 years ago

Im sure i can get in through the pot lights if i really need to, where theres a will, i can find a way! Howie, ill have to make it over someday when things calm down with the build! Once its done ill be inviting you all over for the grand opening party!

Pomc, half stacks and drums will drown them out! At least until my em collection gets really out of hand that is

#69 8 years ago

Last nights work. The soffit over the bar somehow moved out of level so it took awhile to get that bit of drywall up

20160402_211045_(resized).jpg20160402_211045_(resized).jpg

20160402_222427_(resized).jpg20160402_222427_(resized).jpg

#70 8 years ago

You shouldn't have the sheetrock meet at 4 corners .It's supposed to be staggered. Just a suggestion I was told by sheetrock workers.

#71 8 years ago

Yeah your suppose to stagger the spacing

#72 8 years ago

Ya, realized that too late. Alcohol and drywall dont mix! Todays work.....

20160403_140123_(resized).jpg20160403_140123_(resized).jpg

20160403_140142_(resized).jpg20160403_140142_(resized).jpg

#73 8 years ago

looking good, what a great space

#74 8 years ago

You'll be alright. When you start your taping job just do your base coat with fiber tape and durabond, you'll improve your odds on cracks not developing.

#75 8 years ago

Everything looks great, I just did my basement about a year and a half ago really glad I did. Do you know what u are doing for floors? if u get a chance do you think u could sketch a blue print it's a little hard to tell layout from pics.

#76 8 years ago

Thanks flato, ill be doing carpet down there, and tile in the bathroom and in front of the kitchen. I have my original sketch, its been changed a bit, work room got shrunk and the room with the skeeball (em room) got extended, the bar is now a kitchen area and ill use the kneewall seperating the main room to the theater room as a bar, all the rectangles are how many pins i can fit.

20151107_040635_(resized).jpg20151107_040635_(resized).jpg

#77 8 years ago

Damn how big is this basement!!?!?!?!?!?!

#78 8 years ago

About 2000 sq ft, itll be 1700 or 1800 finished

#79 8 years ago

Have thurs and friday off this week, hoping to get a lot done!

#80 8 years ago

Make sure there's room to pull the glass on those games!

#81 8 years ago

That original design is me figuring out how many i can put in max. Have to leave myself room to expand the collection!

#82 8 years ago

Does anyone know if they sell extensions for heating vents or if ill have to make my own? I didnt see any at lowes, so i bought sheet metal to make some, but havent gotten to it yet

#83 8 years ago

They put some in my house when they put on an addition. It is a circular, flexible duct like you would see exposed in a restaurant.

#84 8 years ago

Go to your local HVAC supply house and they will have just about anything you will need. They could also make it if you can't.

#85 8 years ago

Awesome. I didnt want to use the circular since it already has rectangular holes. Ill check out my hvac store, they can probably do in 5 min what it would take me a day and a lot of bad language to do

#86 8 years ago

Havent done much the last few days, but vent extensions are easy! Took about 10 min each to bend and hang

20160411_114734_(resized).jpg20160411_114734_(resized).jpg

20160411_114727_(resized).jpg20160411_114727_(resized).jpg

#87 8 years ago

Quick note - that "duck" tape will likely fail over time. You'll get better long term performance using a foil tape.

31_(resized).jpg31_(resized).jpg

#88 8 years ago

Ya, that was temporary to make sure it held in place while i run to the lowes for foil. Thanks for the tip!

#89 8 years ago

Drywall and mudding is not hard. Tip with drywall is to make sure you line up your joints nicely. Tip with mudding is to mix it to the consistency of sour cream. Put it on thick then scrape it off. Use a very wide knife, I prefer a 12 inch for what I have been doing lately. Go slow with the project. Start with just down the center of the seam. After that dries put mud above it and then after that dries below it. Then sand with 150 after completely dry. Will look great.
    Also do not cross mud. If you are not a professional I cannot stress this enough. Just wait and let it dry. I am currently doing my office and am about 3/4 done with the mudding. Down to 2 more painful butt joints and a little more sanding. Let me know if you need tips.

#90 8 years ago

Thanks sysco, im sure ill need some advice when i get there. Im getting burned out on working down there so im taking a day or 2 off. Its a lot of work when youre doing 90% of it alone. I just wanna play some pinball! Fiending for a game of gladiators!!

#91 8 years ago

I’m a bit late jumping in with this post, so just my two cents…..for others going to do a basement remodel, here are a few ideas and my personal thoughts.

Why do so many think they have to box in the venting and duct work with 2 x 4’s and to then drywall and/or wood panel the four inch round/vertical support posts the same way, thus making these obstructions so large? …There is not a support issue with any of these objects at all, so make the boxing as small as possible is what I do, and I think is best.

I make the most of all space regarding all existing basement obstacles by just wrapping the post/s with vertical wood strips, there really is no need to make a 1 foot by 1 foot box around a stable steel post, and I kept my steel support beams as small as possible by mitering wood to fit…. I even panned my return round pipes/air return venting, (using sheet metal fastened to “just” 2x2’s) to eliminate those obstacles. Shit I would glue ¼ inch drywall to the square supply venting if I could figure out how to do that without it looking uneven or bad…..

Just my personal experience from doing a few basement builds/remodels and hopefully just some important input for others…

IMG_8280_(resized).jpgIMG_8280_(resized).jpg

#92 8 years ago

Themickster- i agree that that would be the way to go, the only reason i am making them so large and framing them is that they arent even with the wall and it would be very noticeable. In the other room the post im wrapping will be framed to accomodate an outlet. I do like the look of the wood the way you have it

#93 8 years ago

I understand....plus you do have a lot of room down there and I can see some potential for hanging "stuff" on the wall areas around the bar....

Great work....

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Quick note - that "duck" tape will likely fail over time. You'll get better long term performance using a foil tape.

I was going to say the same thing. Danger Will Robinson.

#95 8 years ago

I have flyers from every game i own and have owned framed and ready to go on my wall over there. Itll be nice to be able to hang arcade and gameroom themed things all over when its done!

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Thanks sysco, im sure ill need some advice when i get there. Im getting burned out on working down there so im taking a day or 2 off. Its a lot of work when youre doing 90% of it alone. I just wanna play some pinball! Fiending for a game of gladiators!!

When you get there shoot me a PM and I can help explain it. Or even do a call. What ever. A lot of people acrew up mudding and it just makes a sanding nightmare.

#97 8 years ago

I agree, the one other time i did drywall i think all the mud wound up on the floor as dust

Thanks!

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Thatd be convenient. Itd be kind of cool to do something odd to turn on the power.

Have you looked into Amazon's Echo? You can use it to control switches using your voice. "Alexa, turn on the pinball machines please" Boom. They all light up, like straight out of a science fiction movie.

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Have you looked into Amazon's Echo? You can use it to control switches using your voice. "Alexa, turn on the pinball machines please" Boom. They all light up, like straight out of a science fiction movie.

That sounds absolutely awesome! Looking that up now

#100 8 years ago

That is amazing. Its expensive, but itd be worth it

There are 603 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-gameroom-build-thread/page/2?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.