By amkoepfer

2 years ago

Stats

• 602 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 210 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3190 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0312 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0311 (resized).JPG
    andy_toilet (resized).png
    20170605_212447 (resized).jpg
    20160917_160529 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122704 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122732 (resized).jpg
    20160916_164726 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175337 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175343 (resized).jpg
    20160820_213941_(resized).jpg
    20160813_140622_(resized).jpg
    20160819_193753_(resized).jpg
    DSCF0002_(resized).JPG
    DSCF0001_(resized).JPG

There are 602 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 2 years ago

I decided to stop muddying up the gameroom pics thread and just start my from scratch build thread. I started the build a few months ago shortly after moving in, and its taking awhile since i only work on it a few hours a week. It will be around 1700 sq foot of finished space with a smallish work room and a closet for the wifes holiday decor. I had to gut all the old electrical and start over. It now has around 60 recessed lights (sounds like a lot, and it is, but they are on dimmers). There will be around 80-85 outlets as well on 5 20a circuits. Im sure ill be asking plenty of questions while i finish this build. After 3 months im finally doing some drywall and have 1 wall up. Pics to fillow

#2 2 years ago

These are the before pics

l96e95f45-m16o_(resized).jpg

l96e95f45-m15o_(resized).jpg

l96e95f45-m17o_(resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

The games in need of a home

20151208_210840_(resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

First room and bar framed out

20151222_195909_(resized).jpg

20151222_195900_(resized).jpg

20151223_173947_(resized).jpg

20151224_114713_(resized).jpg

20151228_151229_(resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Demo pile from the previous owners workshop

20160101_195428_(resized).jpg

20160101_195440_(resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

This will be my em room and music room

20160109_142745_(resized).jpg

20160109_142757_(resized).jpg

20160109_142801_(resized).jpg

20160109_142814_(resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

Games are sealed up until the dust is done

20160109_173204_(resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

Temp kitchen area setup. Only building it to house the beer fridge. Door on the right is for the bathroom, unpictured door on the left is garage access. Stairs to the upstairs is next to the bathroom door

20160129_195415_(resized).jpg

#9 2 years ago

Nevermind, i guess garage door is pictured

#10 2 years ago

20160221_091010_(resized).jpg

20160221_090957_(resized).jpg

20160221_091017_(resized).jpg

20160221_091035_(resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

Extra dryer flex duct equals robot kid

20160221_210837_(resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago

Finally some drywall up! Now im caught up with pics, ill post more as i do the work. Any thoughts or ideas on how to make it better are appreciated!

20160323_195041_(resized).jpg

20160324_112653_(resized).jpg

20160324_161239_(resized).jpg

20160324_213154_(resized).jpg

#13 2 years ago

looks great so far

#14 2 years ago

Don't forget to wire in some switches for the game outlets. And consider a built in surge suppressor at the panel.

#15 2 years ago

Great idea. I was going to put surge in at the outlet but at the box would be better. Switches for games may be difficult for moving games around and rearranging, but at least a few key outlets will always be used so that will work in a few spots. Thanks for the tip!!!

#16 2 years ago

You could wire some split receptacles where only one of the outlets is switched, the other always hot.

Split is the third option shown here:
    http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/outlet-switch-electrical-diagrams.html

#17 2 years ago

Thatd be convenient. Itd be kind of cool to do something odd to turn on the power. I know ive seen someone with a frankenstein like switch to turn on the games

#18 2 years ago

Looks great so far. I didn't have the patience to do mine so I worked a bit of overtime to pay someone to do it. Keep at and it will be awesome when done.

#19 2 years ago

I wish i would have paid someone to do it. I considered hiring drywallers, but when you do the framing mostly drunk, 16 on center kind of turns into 16 here, 18 there, etc. Id be embarrassed to bring someone in now! So im stuck with drinking more and doing the drywall

#20 2 years ago

I made that mistake. Thought I'd frame and hand off the drywall. Well my frame job made my drywall expense increase so I didn't save anything.

That room is big! Have fun filling it up. Only suggestion would be to make the EM room larger.

#21 2 years ago

Haha i will have fun filling it! I left myself plenty of room to grow! I dont even own an em game right now. I do have a 14 foot skeeball to go along one wall, i figure i can fit 7 or 8 comfortably in there, and maybe 40 in the main room if i pack them in pretty tight. Em room will also have a drum stage built just because i have extra wood, about 6 inch high. I dont even own drums! I have a set but they are my cousins. Ill have half stacks, pa system, lighting rig all set up as well. For music i have 12 in wall speakers throughout the basement on a selector so i dont blast music under bedrooms when fam is sleeping

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Thatd be convenient. Itd be kind of cool to do something odd to turn on the power. I know ive seen someone with a frankenstein like switch to turn on the games

image_(resized).jpeg

#23 2 years ago

Hahaha, i wonder if a knocker would trigger it

#24 2 years ago

Presqueisle, i just looked at your gameroom pic, very nice! What did you do for your floor?

#25 2 years ago

Looks nice, big job. I tried to find someone to do drywall and the prices were outrageous so I did it myself. I just expanded my basement a bit, finishing off a 12x12 space. Took me about 4 days. Only used one 20 amp circuit for that room, my main box and sub panel are completely full now. Took down a wall i previously had put up. The expansion came at the expense of some workshop/woodworking space...amazing how priorities change. Look in the mirror on the far wall and you can see more pins...up to 9 right now and now I can add two more...funhouse anyone??

20160327_102811_(resized).jpg

20160318_200406_(resized).jpg

20160308_210123_(resized).jpg

20160305_180403_(resized).jpg

#26 2 years ago

Nice! I may hire someone to finish the drywall, or at least texture it, but i hope my room turns out that nice!!

#27 2 years ago

I see you are going with a drywall ceiling...it looks nicer, but man that's tough work. Mudding and sanding overhead is about as bad as it gets. I went with a drop ceiling, mainly because if you get a leak or want to run more wire, it's relatively simple to address.

#28 2 years ago

I went back and forth with it, but i chose drywall to make it look more like a room than a basement. My excuse for the access is...how often do i actually need to get to the pipes and how often do they break. I will be putting in access panels (fake vents) for gas valves and other necessary things. Im not looking forward to mudding and taping it! Im sure itll be horrible

#29 2 years ago

Consider putting in some pvc pipe in the ceiling with some access in case you want to run more wire down the road.

#30 2 years ago

I dont think i should ever need to run more wire, outlets every 3 to 4 feet, thick enough guage wire, plenty of lights, and enough speakers to have a rock concert, wired for tv in wall wire system in 2 locations, but i see what you mean, you never know!

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I dont think i should ever need to run more wire, outlets every 3 to 4 feet, thick enough guage wire, plenty of lights, and enough speakers to have a rock concert, wired for tv in wall wire system in 2 locations, but i see what you mean, you never know!

I ran 4 sets of CAT 6 cable from my gateway to every possible TV location in the house. Every device you buy is web enabled these days and I only wanted 1 switch on the network for maximum speed.

#32 2 years ago

Good point. Thanks for the tip!

#33 2 years ago

Looks awesome! So much space! Super jealous!

#34 2 years ago

Thanks! Ya its a pretty big area. Im hoping to get a lot of work done this weekend, except for saturday when i go to the ohio pinball show!

#35 2 years ago

Saw this from my old game room. He was pretty mad i inturrupted his game for a picture! He and i both cant wait till i finish this so we can go back to playing

IMG_20140909_180104223_(resized).jpg

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Nice! I may hire someone to finish the drywall, or at least texture it, but i hope my room turns out that nice!!

I would definitely have a professional do the drywall finishing and texturing if you have never done it before.I used to work in construction and did everything else including the painting.It's an art to do it well.Money well spent and not that expensive.

#37 2 years ago

Post a CL add for some cheap drywall finishers. I'll never mud/tape again....

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I would for sure hire someone to finish the drywall ......i see so many people try this themselves and get frustrated and hire someone ....and could of cost less then what it will after they have spent 2 weeks working on it.

And FYI ....if not to far ahead i would glue the drywall on to walls with Dsa/20, Liquid nails or pl200 and just put 2 screws in the field of ceilings is all you need.
    Will be less work for you or taper and less room for error especially if you are doing painted ceilings

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

I would for sure hire someone to finish the drywall ......i see so many people try this themselves and get frustrated and hire someone ....and could of cost less then what it will after they have spent 2 weeks working on it.
    And FYI ....if not to far ahead i would glue the drywall on to walls with Dsa/20, Liquid nails or pl200 and just put 2 screws in the field of ceilings is all you need.
    Will be less work for you or taper and less room for error especially if you are doing painted ceilings

Very good idea. I have a friend that does construction and hes been helping me, he wants to do the tape and mud ourselves, and me hire someone to texture. Hes pretty unreliable though so if he doesnt come through when im ready ill hire someone!

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Presqueisle, i just looked at your gameroom pic, very nice! What did you do for your floor?

It's a Polyaspartic / metal epoxy concrete finish. Google some images! I really like it.

#41 2 years ago

Looks really nice. Im pretty sold on carpet for some reason, but i may have to reconsider!

#42 2 years ago

I just had a smaller basement room (concrete floor and walls) that I needed to have 'POP'. Yours won't need that I think.

#43 2 years ago

No it wont, but it looks good!

#44 2 years ago

Spraying texture is so easy a caveman can do it.

Just get a 60 dollar hopper gun to attach to an air compressor.

#45 2 years ago

I hear its easy, but since ive never done it i dont want to screw it up.

#46 2 years ago

Just practice on some bigger drywall scraps to get the gun dialed in.

What type of texture do you want? I like the spatter coat style, just like knockdown but you don't scrape with the shield, if you spray the spatter style really light it's orange peel, that looks great too...

#47 2 years ago

I've had people tell me they could do their own texturing but when I saw it in person,Holy Shit!

#48 2 years ago

Splatter is what im going for i think, like orange peel like you said. Im sure ill have plenty of scrap laying around, maybe ill give it a try. I know people that have the equipment

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Splatter is what im going for i think, like orange peel like you said. Im sure ill have plenty of scrap laying around, maybe ill give it a try. I know people that have the equipment

I also like to buy premixed 5 gallons of texture spray from any real paint store....best of luck!

#50 2 years ago

Splatter is not as easy as one would think especially a true orangepeel but it easier then knockdown.... a regular small compressor will not do the the job properly ...it wont keep up...you will starting and stopping and will be very hard to keep it even. Pay the $40 or so dollars(whatever it costs down there) and rent a texture machine.
    Mixture and gun setting and even spray is the key to what kind of texture you want? But dont forget another important step.....use the right primer/sealer....up here we use Synko Quickdry is the main industry product but others will use Hamilton
    Im not a fan of the texture at all but easiest to to do for a beginner or DIY is sno-tex(popcorn as some call it)....something to think about

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 269.00
    $ 63.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 24.50
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 63.00
    There are 602 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 265 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside