Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rom (resized).PNG
and gates (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
849ECB1F-7299-4DA0-9AEB-56DB19042749.gif
F-14 Tomcat Retrofittinig the Proto-Flasher.pdf (PDF preview)
f (resized).PNG
20220420_191114 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider homeslice666.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

The four flashers in F14's backbox are supposed to light when you "lose" the game, correct? None of the four light on mine.

All of the flashers work in my game except Flasher #7 and #10. My machine is a regular production machine and I only have two flashers on the ramp, so #7 should do nothing as far as I know.

When running through the diagnostics for Flasher #10 the two backbox bulbs faintly flash and the two ramp bulbs (white and blue) faintly glow. Pulling one backbox bulb makes the other bulb brightly flash during test. Jumping the ground terminal to the drive terminal on the backbox resistor board causes all four bulbs to illuminate. I have already replaced any faulty dropping resistors throughout the game and inspected all of the warming resistors. I also replaced the header pins at 1J11, 12, and 19.

Anyone have a hunch as to what might be causing this? Thanks in advance!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

A bad transistor.

Any suggestions as to which one? One of the lamp matrix transistors?

#5 1 year ago

I did not realize the solenoid table listed the associated transistor. So it is Q14 I need to inspect/replace. Thank you Grumpy and Slochar!

Flasher #7 was pulled by Williams. I'd like to reinstall this in the future.

#9 1 year ago

I replaced Q14 before I saw your post, sorry Grumpy.

Replaced Q14 with a TIP102. Lights now on full time. Then replaced Q10, ran test, lights flashed as they should although dim. I started a game to see if the lights lit at the end. Halfway through the game the lights locked on full brightness. Pulling 1J12 causes the lights to go out. Perhaps the faulty Q10 fried my new Q14? I also used a 2N4401 for Q10 and did NOT change any pinouts on either transistor.

The only hackery I can find on the board is this array resistor hack. I'm hoping to replace this with a new array resistor after (or if) I fix this flasher.

20220420_191114 (resized).jpg20220420_191114 (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago

Pin #8 on U17 is .19V

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This seem normal, now check SR5 pin 9 in attract mode. Should be 0.0 volts.

Assuming that pin #1 is the one closest to the white dot printed on the pcb, pin #9 is .008 volts

#23 1 year ago

Replaced Q14 again. During test mode flasher #10 backbox flashers flash dimly. After game ends no backbox flashers light at all. Two are supposed to light when game ends, right?

I did notice one of the filaments had a very slight orange glow when the game was in attract mode. Could the warming resistors be on their way out?

#25 1 year ago

Flashers light britely when tab on Q14 is grounded. For reasons unknown the bulbs started flickering then stayed lit during game play.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is there any alkaline damage to CPU board?

Board is acid free. Only obvious issue I see is that resistor hack I posted above.

#29 1 year ago

Is it worth replacing U17 at this time? I need to order more TIP102s so I don't mind buying a few.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Please keep your terminology correct to avoid misunderstandings.
There is NO ACID on the main board. Any leakage is from ALKALINE batteries (usually) and alkaline is the exact opposite of acid.

I cannot observe any corrosion on the MPU

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Since you know SRC-6 is bad, then replacing this first might be the way to go for now. I would purchase some AND gates just to have on hand anyway. Also some chip sockets too.

...what are AND gates? Sorry I have my tech limitations!

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:There are many TTL logic gates used on the CPU board. U-17 in the circuit you are working on is an AND gate. It has a part # 7408 under the label.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/7408
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7408
[quoted image][quoted image]

Got it, thank you. I understood ICs, but AND gates were above my head.

I also tried googling first

#42 1 year ago

I'm still waiting on parts to arrive, btw.

Can anyone confirm when the four backbox #89s are supposed to illuminate? On mine two of them fire during game play. I thought two or four of them were supposed to illuminate (or flash/flicker?) during the end scene.

I played another machine in an arcade today and they were always on, so now I'm unsure of how they're supposed to work.

1 week later
#44 1 year ago

Grumpy, I replaced SRC-6 and Q14. Bulbs on full time again. Attract mode normal. After idling a few minutes the game began acting very erratic, various solenoids firing rapidly and random in-game sounds going off. This lasted a second or two before I killed power.

Pulled board, no shorts or obvious damage.

My next course of action is to replace U17 and Q14 again. Probably Q10 for good measure since I bought spares. If you do not suggest this please let me know.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You either have alkaline damage or you have bad game rom sockets. If your board looks good maybe you should change sockets if your able.
[quoted image]

I can change sockets.

Do you believe that the sockets are experiencing intermittent connection issues - which caused the erratic behavior, and the flasher issue is something separate?

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have seen this before, but not very common. The flashers could also be part of the erratic behavior.

The erratic behavior only occurs when a good Q14 is installed, it seems. The previous owner was using this game as-is, and I played a crap-ton of games with Flasher #10 not working.

I'm thinking the erratic behavior is related to a good TIP102 installed at Q14 and not faulty sockets. Please keep in mind this is just my thoughts and I don't claim to be any sort of expert. If I'm full of it please let me know!

There is no visible alkaline damage to the board.

I'm thinking about replacing the AND gate at U17 because I have them on hand, testing, and seeing where that goes. Please let me know if this is reasonable or if I shouldn't waste my time.

3 weeks later
#51 1 year ago

Another stupid question time.

Can anyone confirm that this is an adequate replacement for U17?

https://www.newark.com/texas-instruments/sn74hc08n/ic-quad-2-input-and-74hc08-dip14/dp/29AH1484?CMP=e-email-sys-invoice-NA-Product

2 weeks later
#53 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The 4 flashers in the backbox, alternate back and forth in pairs during the game and at the end of the game.

These four flashers flicker during the game at times, two of them flash at end of game when one defeats Yagov and the cheery music plays, and none of them light at end of game when you don't defeat Yagov and he taunts you. Does that sound correct?

So, I eventually had my board sent out for repair. Interestingly enough, during the diagnostic mode Flasher #10 fires very faintly. The white and blue playfield flashers glow faintly when the test is ongoing and the backbox flashers barely flash. The original setup had a single white playfield flasher and two backbox flashers on #10. I wonder if Flasher #10 isn't working correctly as it should have three bulbs on it, not four.

I'm going to restore Flasher #7 and the two omitted bulbs nonetheless.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I'm not sure what you mean by "The original setup" ? None of the flashers should glow dim. And they should fire very bright during solenoid test.
When you restore the missing bulb sockets I recomend you use heat shrink on both the sockets and the switch stacks next to them. You don't want 30 volts touching the switches which are 5 volts.

I was referring to early F14s when I said "original setup"

Should these flashers flash at the end scene when one does not defeat Yagov?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider homeslice666.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-f14-flashers-not-working-thread?tu=homeslice666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.