Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rom (resized).PNG
and gates (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
849ECB1F-7299-4DA0-9AEB-56DB19042749.gif
F-14 Tomcat Retrofittinig the Proto-Flasher.pdf (PDF preview)
f (resized).PNG
20220420_191114 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Homeslice666:

Anyone have a hunch as to what might be causing this? Thanks in advance!

A bad transistor.

#8 2 years ago

I did not realize the solenoid table listed the associated transistor. So it is Q14 I need to inspect/replace. Thank you Grumpy and Slochar!
Flasher #7 was pulled by Williams. I'd like to reinstall this in the future.

So if you were to ground the metal tab of Q-14 with a jumper connected to the ground braid, does the flashers light now?

#10 2 years ago

I replaced Q14 before I saw your post, sorry Grumpy.

No big.

Perhaps the faulty Q10 fried my new Q14?

Maybe?

I also used a 2N4401 for Q10

This is a correct part.

and did NOT change any pinouts on either transistor.

???

f (resized).PNGf (resized).PNG

I would use a logic probe or DMM and test the output of U-17 pin 8. In attract mode pin 8 should be a low/0.8 volts.

#16 2 years ago

Pin #8 on U17 is .19V

This seem normal, now check SR5 pin 9 in attract mode. Should be 0.0 volts.

#18 2 years ago

Assuming that pin #1 is the one closest to the white dot printed on the pcb, pin #9 is .008 volts

Correct the white dot is pin #1.

This would indicate that Q-10 is still good. So this just leaves Q-14. Now the question remains why Q-14 went bad? Are you running standard #89 bulbs or leds? After replacing Q-14 I think I would do a current test manually on this circuit before turning on Q-14. This can be done by using your DMM in series with this circuit. Set DMM to DC current, move red lead connection to correct spot, hook black lead under ground braid, turn on game, then touch red lead to Q-14 metal tab. Read meter and disconnect red lead. What do you get?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

. Touching metal tab of Q-14 reads .73 in both

That seems fine too. Maybe you just got a bad TIP 102. It happens.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangernade:

Could a loose bulb socket cause these issues?

The wire solder tabs can sometimes spin around and touch each other, this will be a short circuit. If this happens it will pop the transistor the first time it turns on. You may have inadvertently spun the wire tabs apart when you changed the bulb removing the short, but the TIP was already damaged. This is something I always check when I bring home a new game for the first time.

#26 2 years ago

For reasons unknown the bulbs started flickering then stayed lit during game play.

Is there any alkaline damage to CPU board?

#28 2 years ago

Only obvious issue I see is that resistor hack I posted above.

Well as SRC-6 goes, that was a very good temporary repair. I don't think that this is the cause of your flasher issue, but you never know. Either you have a part that is randomly acting up (U-17) which is smoking the driver transistor or maybe this Hack is causing erratic switch closures causing the driver transistor to lock on. Replacing SRC-6 with a non capacitor resistor pack is well documented on System 11s. Try that with a new TIP102 and retest.

#35 2 years ago

Is it worth replacing U17 at this time?

Since you know SRC-6 is bad, then replacing this first might be the way to go for now. I would purchase some AND gates just to have on hand anyway. Also some chip sockets too.

#39 2 years ago

...what are AND gates? Sorry I have my tech limitations!

There are many TTL logic gates used on the CPU board. U-17 in the circuit you are working on is an AND gate. It has a part # 7408 under the label.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/7408

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7408

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#43 1 year ago

The 4 flashers in the backbox, alternate back and forth in pairs during the game and at the end of the game.

1 week later
#45 1 year ago

After idling a few minutes the game began acting very erratic, various solenoids firing rapidly and random in-game sounds going off. This lasted a second or two before I killed power.

You either have alkaline damage or you have bad game rom sockets. If your board looks good maybe you should change sockets if your able.

rom (resized).PNGrom (resized).PNG
#47 1 year ago

Do you believe that the sockets are experiencing intermittent connection issues - which caused the erratic behavior

I have seen this before, but not very common. The flashers could also be part of the erratic behavior.

#50 1 year ago

I'm thinking the erratic behavior is related to a good TIP102 installed at Q14 and not faulty sockets.

I understand that something on the play field could be miss wired/shorted and be causing damage to Q-14, but this can't set off random sounds. Now if U-10 was to be acting up it could set off some coils( solenoids 9-16) and some sounds. But bad sockets on the CPU chips could cause this also. U-10 isn't socketed from the factory so you can't swap in a different one for easy testing. Williams did use cheap sockets that are @ 35 years old now. I can't tell you which is the best direction to go, from my couch. But you know what your options are.

3 weeks later
#52 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm that this is an adequate replacement for U17?

It has only a 5 ma current limit.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Fairchild%20PDFs/DM7408.pdf

This one has 16 ma current limit.

2 weeks later
#54 1 year ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "The original setup" ? None of the flashers should glow dim. And they should fire very bright during solenoid test.

When you restore the missing bulb sockets I recomend you use heat shrink on both the sockets and the switch stacks next to them. You don't want 30 volts touching the switches which are 5 volts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-f14-flashers-not-working-thread?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.