Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Bonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F9D033A2-95B5-4324-A8E3-3DB485C21475 (resized).jpeg
    D9B4055B-793D-449A-B766-AB44A4C8081F (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I have suspected that the playfield glass on one of my games was plain plate glass and not tempered safety glass for a while.
    It was too sharp and not rounded on the edges. It had a few chips along the edges. When I tried to see "waves" in it with polarized sunglasses, I could not see any.
    But it was in pretty good shape with only a few minor scratches, and I didn't feel like replacing it unless I had to.
    I finally got paranoid enough to replace it.
    Since I didn't know if it was tempered, I wanted to get rid of it instead of keeping it as a spare.
    I took it out into the driveway, put it inside a thick plastic trash bag, and gave it a single light tap with a hammer.
    (Wearing long sleeves, heavy gloves, and safety glasses. I'm not THAT stupid.)
    BAM!
    It broke into multiple deadly sharp shards.
    I am so relieved that did not happen accidentally while I was working on the game.
    The shards basically shredded the durable trash bag. So happy that was not my fingers or other body parts.
    PLEASE get rid of any glass that you are not sure about!

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I have suspected that the playfield glass on one of my games was plain plate glass and not tempered safety glass for a while.
    It was too sharp and not rounded on the edges. It had a few chips along the edges. When I tried to see "waves" in it with polarized sunglasses, I could not see any.
    But it was in pretty good shape with only a few minor scratches, and I didn't feel like replacing it unless I had to.
    I finally got paranoid enough to replace it.
    Since I didn't know if it was tempered, I wanted to get rid of it instead of keeping it as a spare.
    I took it out into the driveway, put it inside a thick plastic trash bag, and gave it a single light tap with a hammer.
    (Wearing long sleeves, heavy gloves, and safety glasses. I'm not THAT stupid.)
    BAM!
    It broke into multiple deadly sharp shards.
    I am so relieved that did not happen accidentally while I was working on the game.
    The shards basically shredded the durable trash bag. So happy that was not my fingers or other body parts.
    PLEASE get rid of any glass that you are not sure about!

Typically tempered glass will not chip on edges. Chips are a tell all sign it’s not tempered. Glad you got it out safely.

#3 4 years ago

Unfortunately, I’ve had this happen 5 or 6 times on games I’ve picked up. People replace with plate glass because it’s cheaper and more accessible, even at HD or Lowe’s.

Very dangerous, and I get rid of it right away considering I have a 6 year old daughter, and she and her friends play the games frequently.

Even a rogue airball that whacks the glass could shatter it while you’re playing. Glad you got it out of there finally.

#4 4 years ago

Having over 600 machines pass through my hands in the dozen (or so) years I have been in the hobby my experience with glass is about 20% is not tempered. So as stated above it is a good idea to replace your glass if you are not sure. Something else I have learned is almost 100% of woodrail machines will have plate glass in them - so they are the worst.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

almost 100% of woodrail machines will have plate glass in them

Up until 1964 the playfield glass wasn’t tempered according to Wayne Neyens.
    Pg 162 The Pinball Compendium 1930s-1960s, by Michael Shalhoub

A few taps on the glass with your fingernail should tell you. If it rings it’s not tempered. If it thuds it’s tempered. After you check known samples side by side the difference is obvious.

#6 4 years ago

Whew!!!!!

#7 4 years ago

Was this off the apollo i sold you?

#8 4 years ago

Next time I'd suggest using a large box to "shatter" it.

Glad nobody was impaled!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Up until 1964 the playfield glass wasn’t tempered according to Wayne Neyens.
    Pg 162 The Pinball Compendium 1930s-1960s, by Michael Shalhoub

I remember reading that somewhere also. Plate glass really wasn't all that bad on older machines because flippers were not as strong anyway. Not saying it was a great idea just saying it didn't matter as much. Most people would be surprised how much plate glass is around them everyday. The one that amazes me the most is the thin glass in storm doors is typically plate (or at least it was until just a few years ago).

Modern pinball machines should never have plate glass in them but logic says lots of other stuff shouldn't use plate glass either!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Unfortunately, I’ve had this happen 5 or 6 times on games I’ve picked up. People replace with plate glass because it’s cheaper and more accessible, even at HD or Lowe’s.
    Very dangerous, and I get rid of it right away considering I have a 6 year old daughter, and she and her friends play the games frequently.
    Even a rogue airball that whacks the glass could shatter it while you’re playing. Glad you got it out of there finally.

A good friend of mine works at Lowe’s and he tells me lots of crazy stories of people who wanna replace all sorts of shit with some cheapo thin glass they have. They often ask questions and will try to determine if it’s a situation where plate glass is dangerous, like home windows or coffee tables and such. People get pissy and write bad reviews cuz they won’t let them possibly kill themselves with huge chunks of glass

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Was this off the apollo i sold you?

It was, but I wasn't going to mention it. I know you well enough to know that you hadn't realized.
    It was amazing how easily it broke.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

It was, but I wasn't going to mention it. I know you well enough to know that you hadn't realized.
    It was amazing how easily it broke.

Ya, never even thought to check! Now im going to check all my older games!

#13 4 years ago

I have a Bally em with a replaced glass that is 2 sandwiched sheets. A feeling of plastic like, still the same thickness .

6 months later
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Typically tempered glass will not chip on edges. Chips are a tell all sign it’s not tempered. Glad you got it out safely

Anyone have an example photos?

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

A good friend of mine works at Lowe’s and he tells me lots of crazy stories of people who wanna replace all sorts of shit with some cheapo thin glass they have. They often ask questions and will try to determine if it’s a situation where plate glass is dangerous, like home windows or coffee tables and such. People get pissy and write bad reviews cuz they won’t let them possibly kill themselves with huge chunks of glass

They sell raw glass that the consumers cut at home at Home Depot and Lowes?

These people are the same idiots that should also not use a chainsaw.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Typically tempered glass will not chip on edges. Chips are a tell all sign it’s not tempered. Glad you got it out safely.

Really?

Oh damn. And we get a fair few airballs...

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

They sell raw glass that the consumers cut at home at Home Depot and Lowes?

He means that store staff will cut glass to customer requested sizes. Hopefully after suggesting plexiglass for most dangerous uses.

#18 3 years ago

Thanks for the warning. Working on a project I just got and saw the glass was chipped in a couple spots. Will replace with a tempered sheet before I put the game back together.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Anyone have an example photos?

Here's the glass I have. Using the fingernail test posted by YeOldPinPlayer this one does have a ring to it versus a thud.

F9D033A2-95B5-4324-A8E3-3DB485C21475 (resized).jpegF9D033A2-95B5-4324-A8E3-3DB485C21475 (resized).jpegD9B4055B-793D-449A-B766-AB44A4C8081F (resized).jpegD9B4055B-793D-449A-B766-AB44A4C8081F (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-caution-about-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.