Yes I cleaned a playfield with Lysol!

By Tighe

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I got this Jungle Lord for free, and it is everything you could expect from a free game. Lots of mouse poop and bits of nests.

The playfield has plenty of wear so I didn't feel bad at all when I wiped the whole thing down with Lysol (Walmart brand)

It's too bad this is so rough, it looks like a great pin. My goal is to get it clean and working first.

Any tips on cleaning the plastics when the are this dirty?

#2 5 years ago

I use Novus 2 on the plastics.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I use Novus 2 on the plastics.

Which I've done on other tables, but what about precleaning? Just dish detergent? I can't start with Novus.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

Which I've done on other tables, but what about precleaning? Just dish detergent? I can't start with Novus.

I’ve never tried it but why not toss them in the dishwasher?

#5 5 years ago

For my pre-cleaning I used the yellow all-propose dollar store cleaner. It's great on dirt, grease, and nicotine.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Plastics are really light...so they will end up in the bottom of the dishwasher.

Robert

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

Yes you can, Novus 1.....

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dishwashing detergent has fine sand in it to scrub off food. It will scrub off the printing on plastics.

Just wipe the top side with Novus1, leave the back side alone.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dishwashing detergent has fine sand in it to scrub off food. It will scrub off the printing on plastics.
Just wipe the top side with Novus1, leave the back side alone.

The back side has mouse nastiness on it. I'm goin to need to clean it in some manner.

I looked when I first got this machine and there isn't any reproduction plastics or playfield overlay that I could find, please correct me if I'm wrong.

#10 5 years ago

heat from dishwashing may warp the plastics

#11 5 years ago

I meant hand dishwashing soap, like Joy brand which I'm 99% certain does not have any abrasives in it.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

The back side has mouse nastiness on it. I'm goin to need to clean it in some manner.

Clean the backside as little as possible.

Maybe with a q-tip and Novus1 - but don't be surprised if the ink starts coming off. Those old plastics stink and shrink, and once they shrink the ink is easy to mess up

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

I can't start with Novus.

Why not? I've had some plastics with horrible residue and just squirting some novus 2 on they turned out fine

#14 5 years ago

Becasue cleaning plastics with a plastics cleaner makes too much sense these days

#15 5 years ago

I've posted this more than a few times here. I've been using spit on the front AND back side of plastics for 4 decades now. Works great and will not harm them in any way. (No. You do NOT lick the plastics!)

https://centerofthewest.org/2015/07/06/spit-cleaning-conservations-dirty-little-secret/

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020407&slug=wcleanpaintings

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I've posted this more than a few times here. I've been using spit on the front AND back side of plastics for 4 decades now. Works great and will not harm them in any way. (No. You do NOT lick the plastics!)
https://centerofthewest.org/2015/07/06/spit-cleaning-conservations-dirty-little-secret/
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020407&slug=wcleanpaintings

Dennis,

Perhaps you can bottle your spit for sale in the Marketplace?

#17 5 years ago

I have hand washed with simple green with great success to get initial grime off and then moved on to novus 2 with no damage.
-Mike

#18 5 years ago

Automotive wax works good for me.I used it on about 25 machines with no problems.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

The back side has mouse nastiness on it. I'm goin to need to clean it in some manner

If it was me, I'd take the worst plastic and put it in a tray of dish soap and water and let it sit for a minute or 2. Then take it out and see if the stuff you want to remove is less and if there is any damage to the plastic, which I doubt.

If no damage to the plastic I'd just repeat the soaking part of 2 minutes of so...until it's fairly clean. Then you have a benchmark on how long it takes to soak the stuff off and them I'd put the rest of the plastics in the tray.

After the soak, rinse them off and touch them up (as necessary) with a spray of simple green and a wipe with a soft rag.

Robert

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Dennis,

https://www.facebook.com/dennis.spit.7

#22 5 years ago

I just use Dawn or Ivory dishwashing soap on plastics. Put them in the sink with some warm water and dishwashing soap and gently wipe them with a soft cloth front and back, rinse and pat dry. They have always come out looking very nice. You don’t have to scrub hard at all. I even use the same method on all the circuit boards to give them a first cleaning before working on them but for those I scrub pretty good with an old tooth brush, and of course then give them an alcohol bath to displace all the water.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Dennis,

The Mill Wax trademark owner would be a good bidness partner for this.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

dawn dishwashing liquid just like you're washing dishes by hand. gets all the dirt grease and dust off, before novus.

#25 5 years ago

I just give the plastics a quick spray of Mean Green and immediately rinse in water.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I just give the plastics a quick spray of Mean Green and immediately rinse in water.

Mean green is the best all around used for years. Harder to find but dollar stores carry it and at $2 per gallon this stuff can remove cabinet smoke stains and everything else. It will beat up your hands if you use to much but just the best for pinball. love this stuff. I also put mean green in the ultrasonic cleaner to clean jewelry etc and it cleans everything.

#27 5 years ago

That back glass looks pretty good! Congrats, those are hard to find in decent shape.

#28 5 years ago

4.99 everywhere in my area.

blockquote cite="#4456144">Mean green is the best all around used for years. Harder to find but dollar stores carry it and at $2 per gallon this stuff can remove cabinet smoke stains and everything else. It will beat up your hands if you use to much but just the best for pinball. love this stuff. I also put mean green in the ultrasonic cleaner to clean jewelry etc and it cleans everything.

#29 5 years ago

dont let them soak . i have killed ore than one set by soaking them for more than a few minutes, reds go first.

#30 5 years ago

I would first clean the fronts and then scan them before cleaning the backs just in case cleaning the mouse ick off ruins them. At least that way you have a base from which to make diy repros. For what it's worth, I agree with Vid's approach to cleaning. Good luck.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yes-i-cleaned-a-playfield-with-lysol?hl=whizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.