• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

white.jpg
yellow.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi first time posting so if i'm in the wrong category please don't be too hard on me , i've been looking for over a year for a pair of yellow lightning bolt flippers for my fishtales pinball machine. i know there's several people looking to buy them actually, so i guess they don't make any reproduction ones, i have the white lightning bolt flippers on machine now and am almost ready to attempt to dye the white flippers to as close to yellow as original ones since no one sells them. guessing it's a trademark otherwise someone would be making a killing selling these things. anyways was just curious about others thoughts on attempting to dye the flippers myself. good or bad idea? thanks yellow.jpgyellow.jpgwhite.jpgwhite.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Repos are Rumored to be one the way.

#3 10 years ago

ok thanks for advise i really apprechiate it, and will cross my fingers

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

Repos are Rumored to be one the way.

If they Repo them (repo = repossess) that means there will be even less of them out there, which actually would be a good thing.

OP - put the regular sized flippers on your game as that was what the game was designed with.

#5 10 years ago

So someone DID try to repro these a few years ago, but they ended up being garbage, and breaking within games of installation.

Rick has said he is currently working on these a few months back, so hopefully they will appear soon.

It took me about a year or so to get the 3 I needed to complete my set for DW. Bought a couple off of a pinsider here, and was very lucky to have another person send me one.

Keep posting WTB posts, and you will get em!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

If they Repo them (repo = repossess) that means there will be even less of them out there, which actually would be a good thing.
OP - put the regular sized flippers on your game as that was what the game was designed with.

Fish Tales, Dr Who, Bram Stoker's Dracula...several others were designed to have lightning flippers. Sadly on my BSD I have 1 lightning & 1 regular.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Fish Tales, Dr Who, Bram Stoker's Dracula...several others were designed to have lightning flippers. Sadly on my BSD I have 1 lightning & 1 regular.

That is not true at all. I worked with all those people who designed those games and NONE of them were designed with them, they were put on after the fact. The story is well documented throughout the years. It was a marketing decision to try and shorten ball times with the thought that it would increase revenue. It failed. The idea came from the largest EU distributor of pinball at the time used to put those on all his games overseas claiming it made the ops more money. All it really did was make good games play shitty.

#8 10 years ago

Ft should always be played with lightning flippers IMO. They make the game brutally tough. I will admit that I have thought about replacing them with normal ones jsut so I can do better.

#9 10 years ago

MXV +1

IMO... I don't think the shorter flipper matters much on DW. It's usually the outlanes that get me. Hopefully, I'll get a BSD some day...tough to find at a reasonable price.
faz

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

MXV +1
IMO... I don't think the shorter flipper matters much on DW. It's usually the outlanes that get me. Hopefully, I'll get a BSD some day...tough to find at a reasonable price.
faz

I actually find DW easier with lightning flippers. Not sure if it is because I am used to them or not, but I can hit my ramp shots all day long with them. Standard flippers.....not so much.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

That is not true at all. I worked with all those people who designed those games and NONE of them were designed with them, they were put on after the fact. The story is well documented throughout the years. It was a marketing decision to try and shorten ball times with the thought that it would increase revenue. It failed. The idea came from the largest EU distributor of pinball at the time used to put those on all his games overseas claiming it made the ops more money. All it really did was make good games play shitty.

Sold with != designed for

I stand corrected. Somebody ask Mark Ritchie just in case...wasn't FT the first one to have those? Maybe I'll get those blood red flippers for my BSD now instead.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

MXV +1
faz

The short ones make shooting the center targets, especially the lock one, much riskier than it was designed to be but I agree, the outlanes in DW are BRUTAL. They are big gaping wounds that swallow pinballs. Great game though!

2 weeks later
#13 10 years ago

Lightning Bolt Flipper bats now on the store (YELLOW, WHITE, BLACK, RED (regular red, not blood red) 20-9734-X

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FB

These are injected parts, so there should no issues as had experienced with a previous incarnation of them.

[email protected]

#14 10 years ago

Great news! Thanks Rick!
faz

#15 10 years ago

Does regular rubber fit these or are they a different size?

#16 10 years ago

regular flipper rubber fits fine.

#17 10 years ago

Lighting flippers do change the dynamics of the game for sure. I was tempted to remove them several times, I am glad I left them. To me it is similar to STTNG outlanes, the extra bit of challenge forces you to step up your game and learn play with the disadvantage, over time improving your overall game. It suck at first, but with time you won't even remember it has shorter flippers, you just play it

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Only a few games, though, were routed with lightning flippers (whether it was designed for that or not). I have to say, playing BSD without lightning flippers just feels cheap. The game is significantly harder and more satisfying with them on. Out of curiosity, I ran a poll to see how people set-up their BSD. 68 pinsiders responded... 82% have lightning flippers. That's a fairly significant push in one direction...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Lightning Bolt Flipper bats now on the store (YELLOW, WHITE, BLACK, RED (regular red, not blood red) 20-9734-X
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FB
These are injected parts, so there should no issues as had experienced with a previous incarnation of them.
[email protected]

Interesting, are those made with a new tool that you own or one that originally was owned by WEG/WMS?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Ft should always be played with lightning flippers IMO. They make the game brutally tough. I will admit that I have thought about replacing them with normal ones jsut so I can do better.

I had the chance to chat with Python about this when he signed my Fish Tales. He told me to "rip those damn things off and throw them in the trash" I didn't, but have thought about it.

#21 10 years ago

I looked for months for these stupid things, just paid double for a dirty crusty pair of them and now this. Figures.

#22 10 years ago

I swapped the lightnings with the standard flips back and forth in my BSD for two weeks straight, trying to decide what to keep in the game. I don't care what the game was designed for, BSD is more fun to "me" with Lightning flippers. I hope Rick can get the "Blood-Red" color sorted out so I can put a set in my game soon

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I looked for months for these stupid things, just paid double for a dirty crusty pair of them and now this. Figures.

Karma for wanting to ruin your game with those little pieces of crap

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Do you have an rss feed on threads discussing lightning flippers? You're the definition of vocal minority.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

Do you have an rss feed on threads discussing lightning flippers? You're the definition of vocal minority.

But that doesn't make what I say any less true. I don't care if the sheeple want to ruin their games with those crappy little flippers and pretend we still live in a time when marketing ruined perfectly good games but I do have issue with incorrect information being spread around like when people start spouting off nonsense like "they were designed to have those lightning flippers on them" when in fact they were not.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

But that doesn't make what I say any less true. I don't care if the sheeple want to ruin their games with those crappy little flippers and pretend we still live in a time when marketing ruined perfectly good games but I do have issue with incorrect information being spread around like when people start spouting off nonsense like "they were designed to have those lightning flippers on them" when in fact they were not.

+1. I'm not seeing the benefit of these and wont be adding them.

#27 10 years ago

I have them on sorcerer.. and think they are great.

#28 10 years ago

I like them for the raised lightning bolt. The longer flippers don't look as cool.

faz

#29 10 years ago

I'm simple. I like my games how they shipped. If lightning flippers are too hard, I'd rather just get better at pinball.

Quoted from MXV:

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

+1. I'm not seeing the benefit of these and wont be adding them.

If you ever find it in the wild or in a tournament, it will have lightning flippers on it. To me it's like moving the outlanes all the way closed, if you ever discuss a high score, there will always have to be an asterisk next to it.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

If you ever find it in the wild or in a tournament, it will have lightning flippers on it. To me it's like moving the outlanes all the way closed, if you ever discuss a high score, there will always have to be an asterisk next to it.

Well said.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'm simple. I like my games how they shipped. If lightning flippers are too hard, I'd rather just get better at pinball.

Do you have any LED's in your games?

#33 10 years ago

I like lightning flips on FT because that is how I grew up playing it (yes the exact game which I bought from the bar a bit back and restored). It also make it super challenging.

#34 10 years ago

I do in a couple. Like Family Guy and Guns N Roses. Yes, it's not exactly how they shipped, but it doesn't change the play at all. The lightning flippers do.

But, I have LEDS in a small percentage of my games.

Quoted from MXV:

Do you have any LED's in your games?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I do in a couple. Like Family Guy and Guns n Roses. Yes, it's not exactly how they shipped, but it doesn't change the play at all. The lightning flippers do.
But, I have LEDS in a small percentage of my games.

So then you don't like your games as shipped. You like them to play crappy and look that way too. I rest my case.

#36 10 years ago

Yah, you're right. I'm a hypocrite. I hate 99% of the mods out there, but that 1%, that'll really ruin a game from how it was meant to be played.

Quoted from MXV:

So then you don't like your games as shipped. You like them to play crappy and look that way too. I rest my case.

#37 10 years ago

Is the upper flipper (3rd) on Black Rose a lightning bolt as well or just the lower flippers? I would think not as I don't see the purpose with that flipper.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Is the upper flipper (3rd) on Black Rose a lightning bolt as well or just the lower flippers? I would think not as I don't see the purpose with that flipper.

That one was regular

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Fine, you convinced me, now where do I buy blood red fulls?!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Fine, you convinced me, now where do I buy blood red fulls?!

That's a very good question! I think they've been unavailable for some time which is a real crime! I thought that PPS was going to be remaking them though so maybe they will have some soon?

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

That's a very good question! I think they've been unavailable for some time which is a real crime! I thought that PPS was going to be remaking them though so maybe they will have some soon?

oh man, what a kill joy!

#42 10 years ago

Why the hate for lightning flippers again? Is it just because the designers didn't design the game with them? Added difficulty?

#43 10 years ago

If a game comes with them, leave the dMn things on! Lightning flippers rock

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 169.00
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yellow-lightning-bolt-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.