(Topic ID: 226487)

Yellow Dot Gottlieb flipper coils on a Williams?

By phil-lee

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Is there any reason Gottlieb yellow Dot flipper coils wouldn't work on a Williams EM? I'm looking at several early Williams that could seriously use the flipper power. If they could be utilized it would help me make a decision on a purchase.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Is there any reason Gottlieb yellow Dot flipper coils wouldn't work on a Williams EM? I'm looking at several early Williams that could seriously use the flipper power. If they could be utilized it would help me make a decision on a purchase.

Which ones?

If the coils are the same length (I think they are?) then technically they're the same voltage so they could be used, as long as the resistances aren't too out of whack

#3 5 years ago

What machines do you want to try this on? Early Williams used 50 volt coils.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks Ken, its a 1968 Pit Stop. I should know this but its hard to retain everything I read. Do you know what years roughly they used 50 volts? I inquired at Pinball Resource and was told hotter flipper coils were unavailable (as in do not exist) for Williams, hence the possible conversion.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I thought it was later 70's Williams that were 50 volts

Williams 70s through mid 80s are all 25V iirc.

It looks like pit stop uses 21-375 flipper coils. You could also try a pair of FL-20-300/28-400 williams coils, used by later williams EMs. They'll give a noticable strength boost.

#6 5 years ago

50 volts ended in 1962 and I believe the Gottlieb coils are a tad shorter than the Williams.

I thought the dotted coil was to give the Gottlieb the same strength as a regular Williams anyway. No need for any additional power on mine as I prefer to keep those impossible to get plastics intact. Especially the clear lane guides.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks zacaj and Odin, you are both right and with complete information. It looked like a loop-di- semi-loop racing game and would be uninteresting unless the balls could fly, I didn't think about plastics, maybe those polycarb protectors?

#8 5 years ago

My Pit Stop was on high tap when I first got it and I didn't even know it. It wasn't until I fully shopped it out and rebuilt the flippers that all the sudden it was just too much and balls flying. I took it off high tap and it has been great ever since

You break that point off the left lane guide that takes the ball back to the top and you will be sorry.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yellow-dot-gottlieb-flipper-coils-on-a-williams?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.