(Topic ID: 253472)

Yellow brick road won’t power up

By Clint12

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG1877_1.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4EAA607D-8687-4505-BD32-20526DC5A55B (resized).jpeg
    D9ED3CCF-5400-4302-A308-6E8A1D5578BA (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    82BCF2AF-CD98-49F9-8B16-C52722B7A808 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I went to turn it on today and nothing opened the back board all fuses are good and red light on but nothing any thought?

#3 4 years ago

What do you mean nothing opened? Did it go through the boot sequence? Can you give more detail?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

What do you mean nothing opened? Did it go through the boot sequence? Can you give more detail?

A little punctuation might be helpful in the OPs post.

#5 4 years ago

Lights on the playfield? Does the monitor turn on? Which red lights are on?

#6 4 years ago
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #7 4 years ago
    82BCF2AF-CD98-49F9-8B16-C52722B7A808 (resized).jpeg82BCF2AF-CD98-49F9-8B16-C52722B7A808 (resized).jpeg
    #8 4 years ago

Opened back checked fuses all good pin has nothing

#9 4 years ago

Is there a reset button on these newer JJP games?

Send LTG a PM.

#10 4 years ago

Call the support line - (732) 364-9900.

This happened to my WONKA once, and it was due to an improper shut down. 5 minute call with JJP, and it was back up and running and hasn't happened again.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Is there a reset button on these newer JJP games?
    Send LTG a PM.

That's what I was thinking too. Hasn't happened to me yet (fingers crossed), but I've heard of it happening enough.

#12 4 years ago

Called jersey jack waiting for a reply

#13 4 years ago

Send LTG a PM because he will likely be quicker to help than calling.

#14 4 years ago

Check the USB cables

There are 2 Long ones

I have seen WOZs down from a bad cable

Could always flip the 2 and see what happens

Good Luck

#15 4 years ago

Has the game ever worked or is this straight out of the box? I noticed there isn't a separate manual specific to the YBR models nor have they posted one for WWCF and the one for POTC doesn't really mention a reset switch but I bet there's one on there. Use the POTC manual for instructions on how to access the PC board behind the monitor and look for reset switch (small momentary push button most likely).

#16 4 years ago

In the backbox, I assume to the top of that board pic is a big silver box? Take off the cover and see if there are lights on the motherboard and the fan is spinning.

On the top left of the backbox is likely the power supply, is the fan spinning on that?

Like bobukcat asked, is this right out of the box bad?

There is no "reset" button, per say. There is a CMOS reset on the mobo but that won't resolve this.

Just spitballing, but the transformer seems ok if the main board is getting power. The question is if the ATX power supply is working and then if the mobo is working. I assume the ATX supply is dead or unplugged because there are no backboard lights, which at least on POTC is run right from the ATX supply if I recall. I haven't seen inside a YBR but I believe it uses the same layout as POTC so the attached image should give you an idea what area to look at.

If that is the case then you can easily pick one up locally if you wanted to replace it yourself quickly. Otherwise JJP should be able to diagnose and send you parts from that call.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #17 4 years ago

So I litterally just dealt with the same thing. These instructions albeit may sound crazy but came from JJP support

The pic I attached is the mother board. You need to remove the silver cover and you find the mother board. On the top right side will be the set of pins on the white connector that I circled.
    With the game on take a flat head screwdriver and touch the top two pins on the left side together
    This will be like “jumping” a car
    Do not do it longer than 3 seconds or so.
    It should start right back up and you shouldn’t have the issue again

4EAA607D-8687-4505-BD32-20526DC5A55B (resized).jpeg4EAA607D-8687-4505-BD32-20526DC5A55B (resized).jpegD9ED3CCF-5400-4302-A308-6E8A1D5578BA (resized).jpegD9ED3CCF-5400-4302-A308-6E8A1D5578BA (resized).jpeg
    #18 4 years ago

That's an interesting one. I believe they are having you short the power switch ground with power led ground (pin 6 & 8), not sure exactly what that would do. I was guessing, before looking, that they were having you short the power pins (5 & 6) to imitate a power button press. Not sure if those pins are correct in your drawing or in my head but here are the pins I was thinking it should be. Wonder why this is the case that it only needs to be done once. Surely they had the game powered on in the factory, but maybe it was on a test rig? But even then the bios should be set to turn on after power failure (I assume that is how the mobo turns on when it gets power) so doing this once seems like it wouldn't solve that issue. I'd be interested to know.

Did JJP send you those images?

It's way too late to walk downstairs and I can't read the mobo markings in the pic so I'm not 100% sure.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #19 4 years ago

Yes that was from JJP and it did work surprisingly

#20 4 years ago

Cool, the pins might be wrong in my mind. Would love to hear if this solves the issue for OP.

#21 4 years ago

i would probably just wait to hear back from Lloyd or JJP, of those 3 pictures there are 2 different places marked where you would touch the flat head? Do you really want to guess...

#23 4 years ago

I can look at mine after I get some sleep too. Or someone can post the mobo model number. It's probably common atx front panel connector layout.

#24 4 years ago

This is the standard layout. It doesn't matter if you short pins 6-8 or 6-5. If you short them too long the power supply will turn off again.

If it doesn't automatically power up when you turn on the power switch you'll have to connect a keyboard, power up, go into the BIOS and find the setting to restore on power loss.
    IMAG1877_1.jpgIMAG1877_1.jpg

#25 4 years ago

Will try tomorrow that’s still waiting for jersey jack to call me

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

This is the standard layout. It doesn't matter if you short pins 6-8 or 6-5. If you short them too long the power supply will turn off again.
    If it doesn't automatically power up when you turn on the power switch you'll have to connect a keyboard, power up, go into the BIOS and find the setting to restore on power loss.
    [quoted image]

Boom, there ya go!

#27 4 years ago

Joe fox thanks so much totally fixed it quick touch on she went

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Clint12:

Joe fox thanks so much totally fixed it quick touch on she went

Have you turned it off and back on? Wondering if the BIOS is set to boot properly.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yellow-brick-road-wont-power-up?hl=valis666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.