Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 311 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yegpin
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D4DC2C19-5BA7-4156-834A-C4141268268B (resized).jpeg
    40A5A784-7282-4AFB-AAAA-50A564BC92B6 (resized).jpeg
    PanoHall (resized).JPG
    Bannersa (resized).JPG
    BannerHoist (resized).JPG
    DSC09958.JPG
    DSC09956.JPG
    DSC09955.JPG
    DSC09952.JPG
    DSC09925.JPG
    DSC09921.JPG
    DSC09917.JPG
    DSC09887.JPG
    DSC09886.JPG
    DSC09885.JPG
    DSC09884.JPG
    There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 6 years ago

Did they have the yegpin discount setup?

#52 6 years ago

I sure cant wait to play some old EM's! I notice a few on the pins list already! Also can't wait to flip Tron, TnA, rob zombie..& about 10 others!! Dialed in and Alien hopefully make that list again too!

#53 6 years ago

Hopefully I can make it again, work planed a shutdown right durring yegpin, the nerve!

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

Did they have the yegpin discount setup?

i asked about it, they had no idea. but she said she would make a note on my booking. and would likely honour it... she said is was only like $10 a night... so not really a biggie.

#55 6 years ago

https://www.yegpin.com/accommodations/

If you have not received hotel discounts let us know.

#56 6 years ago

Rooms booked, looking forward to seeing all of you YEG troublemakers and the other pinheads I've met over the last year!

#57 6 years ago

Bam!!! It's that easy! Tickets are bought, rooms are booked! Can't wait for may 4-6! Cheers guys see you in may.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Yes, YEGPIN is committed to grow Pinball and Arcade at the grass roots level and will continue to offer free admission to all of those kids that are 12 and under with a paid adult admission. As well there is a free tournament each day and prizes for kids too.
    http://www.yegpin.com/tickets/

This is really great and appreciated Derek. Such a benefit for those with young families. Makes it a super affordable weekend and fun for all.

Tickets purchased and room booked. Looking forward to it again!

#59 6 years ago

Room booked,come on May

#60 6 years ago

Will there be 40 dollar weekend passes that don’t include tourney entries or access to the arcade night? Ie same as last year?

#61 6 years ago

Hello Boat

Definitely, but $60 for the weekend. You can also pre-purchase @ http://www.yegpin.com/shop/weekend-pass/ and get a good bonus for the pre-purchase. Same price day of without the benefits. Why? Simply put the museum rental isn't free. So the funds we get from early VIP and Weekend pass sales helps our little not-for-profit pay for this party without putting all of the weight on the executive to foot the bill. So in short we really appreciate the early support, and you get a bonus for committing early! Everyone wins!

#62 6 years ago

The short answer is the $40 Pass is now the $60 Pass and it includes entry into the Saturday night YEGPIN after dark. Or you can buy daily passes each day which will add up to $65 for the weekend. If you pre-purchase your pass we throw in an extra 5 entries to the Classic tournament ($15 value) as a thank you for pre-purchasing. Hope that helps make your decision.

Quoted from Boat:

Will there be 40 dollar weekend passes that don’t include tourney entries or access to the arcade night? Ie same as last year?

#63 6 years ago

room booked, VIP ticket bought, 2"x6" picked out

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

room booked, VIP ticket bought, 2"x6" picked out

7AEA1556-20A3-49A7-97FA-149781D7D1E6 (resized).jpeg7AEA1556-20A3-49A7-97FA-149781D7D1E6 (resized).jpeg

Wicked! Signed 2x6’s are selling out quick, if you want one PM me! PS - that’s hacksaw Jim not Al

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Wicked! Signed 2x6’s are selling out quick, if you want one PM me! PS - that’s hacksaw Jim not Al

I don’t get the 2x 6..... am I missing something?!?

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

I'm assuming the dimension of a pinball machine

#68 6 years ago

Many of the tournament pins were raised by wood blocks - as seen here under fish tales. it created some angst initially. However, people adjusted and played on. Everything worked out just fine.

IMG_0342 (resized).JPGIMG_0342 (resized).JPG

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

They use them to jack up the back legs of the machines during the tournament. Algrande was razzing them last year about how difficult the games were.

#70 6 years ago

Did NOT work out fine. Lots of people were PISSED!...8.7 degrees is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I will be bringing my digital level along with my JD.

GREAT show though! Can hardly wait.

Quoted from RumRunner9:

Many of the tournament pins were raised by wood blocks - as seen here under fish tales. it created some angst initially. However, people adjusted and played on. Everything worked out just fine.

#71 6 years ago

A lot of people were just fine with the setups too as they were the same difficulty for everyone, we are never going to please everyone. Our aim is to ensure games are set in the following manner

EMs: 6.5 - 7.0
    SS: 7.0 - 7.5
    Moderns: 7.5 - 8.5

The slopes really depend on the machine and the ability to be able to make all shots on some games it is actually easier with more slope so we dial them back.

We put on a world class tournament the best and biggest tournament in Alberta which will be even bigger this year.

The machines will be setup difficult, beware they will not be setup like they are on location. They will be the hardest difficulty for settings and will be on tournament play. The machine setups will be difficult but fair so that you can make the shots in any particular game. This is done so everyone gets a fair chance to play their games when you are running a tournament for 125 - 150 people it ain’t easy.

No one wants to watch anyone sit there and crank out 15 - 30 minute games and create cues that are 10 deep on each game it isn’t fun for anyone.

There are four different divisions this year and 40 people will get to play in the playoff rounds in Main, B, Novice and Women’s. Just over 10k is given in prize money, trophies and plaques for this event.

Hope to see you all out and participate, if we have another solid turnout we have a great shot at getting a Stern Circuit Event next year.

Quoted from algrande:

Did NOT work out fine. Lots of people were PISSED!...8.7 degrees is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I will be bringing my digital level along with my JD.
    Game show though! Can hardly wait.

#72 6 years ago

I like that you didn't have to wait forever because all the games were super hard. So it make sense with that many people coming through to set them up that way. But come on let's do 8.6 at least. Ha ha

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

Game show though! Can hardly wait.

It served its purpose.. short game times, short cues and I'll bet the entire tourney event ran on schedule because of it
    Derek runs a tight ship, hats off to him!

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

They use them to jack up the back legs of the machines during the tournament. Algrande was razzing them last year about how difficult the games were.

I thought the modern games were fair and setup fine. The classics though jacked up were tough. It was hard to hit a target on the middle of the playfield. And tilting Volley on ball 1 or 2 of 5 and game over was fun

The first thing I did when I got home last year was cut some 2x6s and jacked up my games. It's a great way to make a stale game feel fresh again. It doesn't work on all games though. I tried it last week on transformers and the ball wouldn't even hit Optimus off the jump ramp. Tried a 1x4 but still too steep.

Can't wait to experience what fun Derek has for us this year!

#75 6 years ago

I have played in tournaments all over North America and I have NEVER seen games set up this steep and hard. I also have never seen huge wait times at ANY tournament. Pinball games were NOT designed to play at these steep angles. What people say to you and what they say in private are two different things. This tournament is not that fun unless you are an expert player. I believe pinball tournaments should be fun for all ages and skills. That's what pinball is all about.

For now, we live in a free world and people have the right to choose to do what they want. I will choose to enjoy other aspects of the GREAT SHOW you guys put on. Thank you.

Quoted from pins4life33:

A lot of people were just fine with the setups too as they were the same difficulty for everyone, we are never going to please everyone. Our aim is to ensure games are set in the following manner
    The slopes really depend on the machine and the ability to be able to make all shots on some games it is actually easier with more slope so we dial them back.
    We put on a world class tournament the best and biggest tournament in Alberta which will be even bigger this year.
    The machines will be setup difficult, beware they will not be setup like they are on location. They will be the hardest difficulty for settings and will be on tournament play. The machine setups will be difficult but fair so that you can make the shots in any particular game. This is done so everyone gets a fair chance to play their games when you are running a tournament for 125 - 150 people it ain’t easy.
    No one wants to watch anyone sit there and crank out 15 - 30 minute games and create cues that are 10 deep on each game it isn’t fun for anyone.
    There are four different divisions this year and 40 people will get to play in the playoff rounds in Main, B, Novice and Women’s. Just over 10k is given in prize money, trophies and plaques for this event.
    Hope to see you all out and participate, if we have another solid turnout we have a great shot at getting a Stern Circuit Event next year.

#76 6 years ago

I appreciate the feedback, we have done a lot this year to ensure maximum participation by adding a B division and having a women’s only final as well. Not sure if you have ever attended PAPA or Pinburgh but that is the standard we use for setups. We will do our best to setup the machines so all will enjoy the event.

Quoted from algrande:

I have played in tournaments all over North America and I have NEVER seen games set up this steep and hard. I also have never seen huge wait times at ANY tournament. Pinball games were NOT designed to play at these steep angles. What people say to you and what they say in private are two different things. This tournament is not that fun unless you are an expert player. I believe pinball tournaments should be fun for all ages and skills. That's what pinball is all about.
    For now, we live in a free world and people have the right to choose to do what they want. I will choose to enjoy other aspects of the GREAT SHOW you guys put on. Thank you.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

I get what you're trying to do, but these are all 1 full degree too high IMHO. There are a lot of ways to make a particular game harder to reduce ball times without distorting the entire essence of the game. In my opinion (and I've heard this echoed elsewhere), you should never user *every* means at your disposal to increase game difficulty, but rather a select one or two depending on the particular game.

For example, open the outlanes or remove a rubber on an outlane post for a long-playing game, but don't tighten the tilt to zero tolerance AND remove the post. Also, subtle nudging is a key skill in pinball, so having the tilts so tight that the simple act of starting Showtime multiball on TaF will sometimes tilt your game is not fun or fair.

In my opinion, over steeping the game and tightening the tilts to completely remove nudging is distorting the game to favour a few select skills over others (extreme ball control and shot making over predicting ball trajectories and subtle nudging). This reduces the overall depth of the competition and makes it more frustrating and less fun than it could be.

Anyway, it's your tournament and I'll come regardless because it's otherwise completely friggin' awesome, but since we're offering constructive feedback...

#78 6 years ago

I honestly was looking forward to playing the modern/90's games in the tournament last year and I played one qualifying game on each machine and then switched over to the classics for the rest of the tournament. I'm fine with fast play and difficult shots, but I just found the modern games to be way too steep to consistently hit any of the shots I wanted to. Nothing less satisfying than shooting a ramp square on with full power and seeing it either barely make it up or roll right back down the middle. I consider most EM's to be floaty and soft on the power anyways, so when those games feel that way, I'm fine with it.

Derek, can you ensure Dragon(Interflip) is in the classics this year? I think a river of tears would be a nice feature to add in to the show this year.

#79 6 years ago

I heard the queues weren’t that long because Alberta players aren’t as good as Bc players...

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I heard the queues weren’t that long because Alberta players aren’t as good as Bc players...

Hey, sometimes you just want to lose fast and get on with the drinking!

Booked my room! Leaving my 2x6 at home.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I get what you're trying to do, but these are all 1 full degree too high IMHO. There are a lot of ways to make a particular game harder to reduce ball times without distorting the entire essence of the game. In my opinion (and I've heard this echoed elsewhere), you should never user *every* means at your disposal to increase game difficulty, but rather a select one or two depending on the particular game.
    For example, open the outlanes or remove a rubber on an outlane post for a long-playing game, but don't tighten the tilt to zero tolerance AND remove the post. Also, subtle nudging is a key skill in pinball, so having the tilts so tight that the simple act of starting Showtime multiball on TaF will sometimes tilt your game is not fun or fair.
    In my opinion, over steeping the game and tightening the tilts to completely remove nudging is distorting the game to favour a few select skills over others (extreme ball control and shot making over predicting ball trajectories and subtle nudging). This reduces the overall depth of the competition and makes it more frustrating and less fun than it could be.
    Anyway, it's your tournament and I'll come regardless because it's otherwise completely friggin' awesome, but since we're offering constructive feedback...

Um,didn't you win the classics division last year at Yegpin

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

Um,didn't you win the classics division last year at Yegpin

Yes, yes I did. ...and it seriously reduced my drinking time!

I'm just trying to give everyone *else* a chance.

#83 6 years ago

Ha ya not sure how two AB boys beat two Van City boys in the final must have been luck

#84 6 years ago

I’m gonna try and make it there and change that this year. We bringing it hard this year-look out lol

#85 6 years ago

I absolutely accept your challenge bring all the B.C. guys I am working on the Seattle guys too hopefully have a few of them as well .

I’m gonna try and make it there and change that this year. We bringing it hard this year-look out lol

#86 6 years ago

Just wondering, do you check plugs for ground on incoming games for safety? (on games that had ground from factory). Other checks? As YEGPIN grows just wondering about safety especially for the little ones.

Quoted from Jazman:

P.S. In case anyone missed it in my MGC email a week or so ago, we will be checking grounds again this year. Any game that was designed to have a ground on the power cable must have a functional ground or the game will not be allowed on the arcade hall floor.

Quoted from poibug:

Even more here in the UK as the games are 230v ac
    One of the basic checks I do,at any of the shows I help sort power for is multimeter set on ac volts,and measure between one pinball and the other next to it.
    If pin 1 to 2 = 0v
    2 to 3 =100v
    pin 3 to 4 = 100v
    pin 4 to 5 = 0v that tells me pin 3 has an earth problem
    Had the countless times and every time it's 100v ac give or take 10v
    Numerous things,had earth cable off at line filter a few times,also with earth off in mains plug,also with bond to various pin parts becoming removed.
    Also had the joy of 230v ac belt,because some pinhead had plugged in an old EM,that had NUMEROUS parts of the flex where the main cores were visible!!That could have been very nasty.Hence now,where I try and ensure a visual inspection of all flex cables before pin being plugged in

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Ha ya not sure how two AB boys beat two Van City boys in the final must have been luck

...always a good idea to bring Lady Luck to the ball.

#88 6 years ago

The machine list for YEGPIN has again been updated on the site, pretty excited about having a TZ at the show this year.

#89 6 years ago

YEGPIN staff actually play tests every machine we bring in from the event to ensure good operation and safety. All of the machines are from collectors or from vendors who generally understand the setups, but we can include this into our checklist for our technicians to ensure everyone safety and enjoyment at the event. Thanks for passing this along.

Quoted from spinal:

Just wondering, do you check plugs for ground on incoming games for safety? (on games that had ground from factory). Other checks? As YEGPIN grows just wondering about safety especially for the little ones.

1 week later
    #90 6 years ago

Time for another YEGPIN - 2018 Edmonton Pinball and Arcade Expo update.

Over 75 pinball machines and 55 arcade machines already committed for the weekend, this will be the biggest show we have put in the past three years. Some really awesome new titles that you will not want to miss Houdini, Thunderbirds, Aliens, Guardians of the Galaxy. Some older titles that will bring back fond memories Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, Monster Bash. And of course some really awesome classic arcade titles 720, After Burner II, Paperboy. We have three awesome vendors that are going to blow your mind with all of the new products they have: Nitro Pinball, Retroactive Arcade and Big J Arcade

Did you know there is only just over a month to get your VIP passes, or your pre-sale bonus for your weekend passes. All pre-sale ticket sales will end on March 1, 2018. After this date you will be able to only get a weekend passes with no pre-order bonus and daily passes which will only be sold at the door. We currently have 60% of the VIP passes sold so don't hesitate to pre-purchase you pass so that you don't miss out on the rewards. VIP pass are limited to the first 125 people who purchase and sales will end immediately once it is reached.

VIP Pass includes the following rewards:

(1) Full event weekend access
    (1) All Access ‘Limited Edition’ VIP customized pass (Only available to VIPs)
    (1) YEGPIN official customized lanyard (Only available to VIPs)
    (1) 1 hour early entry on Friday – Sunday during the event (including tournaments) **NEW**
    (1) Custom YEGPIN VIP bags to hold all your goodies in. (Only available to VIPs)
    (1) Free YEGPIN pancake breakfast (9:00AM – 11:00AM) on Saturday morning **NEW**
    (1) Priority line for accessing tickets and wait lines for entry into event.
    (1) Entry into the exclusive Friday night Nitro Pinball – VIP Party (Only available to VIPs)
    (1) Entry into (5) awesome VIP only prize draws at the event (Only available to VIPs)
    (1) VIP party will have many other food items, drink specials and goodies we will keep secret until the event!
    (1) Entry into the public event on Saturday night. “YEGPIN After Dark” Retro Arcade Party **New**
    (1) Discounted entry fee ($5 off) into Alberta Aviation Museum
    (10) Entries into each of the Nitro Pinball – Western Canadian Pinball Championships and DHPL Classics Pinball Tournament (approx. $50.00 value) and pre-registered for all tournaments

http://www.yegpin.com/shop/2018-yegpin-vip-pass/

#91 6 years ago

Glad I got my VIP passes only way to go. Look at all the benifets. This is going to be a awesome time.

#92 6 years ago

Well, looks like I'll be buying a second VIP pass now. Kids are staying at nana's house and the wife has committed to coming along. Think it was the 80's party thing..

#93 6 years ago

Not to derail this thread ... My Houdini has arrived ... Anybody wanting to try the game please pm me and give it a try ....
    Back to Yegpin stuff ...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Not to derail this thread ... My Houdini has arrived ... Anybody wanting to try the game please pm me and give it a try ....
    Back to Yegpin stuff ...

Sweet! You must have been in *early*.

#95 6 years ago

Nice!!!

#96 6 years ago

Your Houdini looks awesome Rob! I’ll have to find some time soon to check it out!

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

Your Houdini looks awesome Rob! I’ll have to find some time soon to check it out!

Please do!

#98 6 years ago

I’m glad someone can organize a successful show here in Alberta. (Talking like Dean from the Fubar movie “been dare done that”) Its a fuckload of work to get all those machines in and out from one place for 2 days, make everyone happy and hopefully dont loose your family or job in the process. My personal opinion regarding pinball tournaments is they are a joke. PAPA and/or IFPA hosted tournaments are senseless. You need to travel everywhere in the world to the sanctioned events to accumulate points. I guess some people are able to, thats why there is the same winners every year. I have been to a few “sanctioned” tournaments. The machines are ALWAYS altered to make them impossible. All the rubbers and posts are usually altered and removed from the outlanes and sometimes the slingshots are totally non functioning. So to put a 2x6 under the rear legs is pretty minor.
    I am kind of waking up from my pinball indused coma, getting out of my cave and scratching my ass looking at the sunrise to see what the pinball world looks like now.

All the best for you with YEGPIN.

#99 6 years ago

One of the more common custom messages our group has on their machines

6D100CFD-05EF-440D-94EF-34F58DDB8709 (resized).jpeg6D100CFD-05EF-440D-94EF-34F58DDB8709 (resized).jpeg

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

One of the more common custom messages our group has on their machines

Nice job Pat!

There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yegpin-2018-edmonton-pinball-and-arcade-expo-may-4-6-2018/page/2?hl=squashrules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.