22%
  • 10 - 20 Years 114 votes
    23%
  • 20 - 30 Years 49 votes
    10%
  • 20 + Years as an Oporator 2 votes

(486 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

About 2 years now .. My first machine was a Stern's.. Stars .. Ended up selling that when we moved, Picked up a Joker Poker a few months ago

#52 5 years ago

It's great to see a lot of new blood getting into the hobby just look at the 5 years or less stats.

#53 5 years ago

Looks like I have more years on Pinside than anyone in this thread.

#54 5 years ago

1989'ish.. So 25'ish years

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's fun searching names and seeing who was around back in the late 90s on rec.groups.pinball

I was there, my handle wasn't Patofnaud back then. I used to post 'barn sales' once a year when I would clean out my projects.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.pinball/Z_CGgDWxEkc/yEdAO611FdUJ

#56 5 years ago

43 years of collecting. First pin in 1971. Have the receipt for that pin.

#57 5 years ago

I think we have a winner!....LOL

Quoted from MrBally:

#58 5 years ago

wow there are a lot of people in the 1 to 5 year range. I wouldnt have suspected that to be the majority

My first was Xenon. put the quarter in that slot and her hear her moan.

Great machine and now my friend owns it and his kids play.

I bought it in 1992 22 years ago

--Jeff

#59 5 years ago

image.jpg

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

"I think we have a winner!....LOL"

I agree with you there Stu! I was born in 1970... and I feel old!

(also before anyone argues with me, lets all agree that 44 isn't old only to those who are older than 44... and every year the amount of people older than me diminishes)

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You've come a long way since then pilgrim. I bet you wish you still had that Galahad. Or do you?
Hey, I pay attention.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

I know at least one here who goes back to the 60s.

#63 5 years ago

First machine I bought was a Swords of Fury that I bought from some guy in 1997 for $500. He actually brought it to my house in the back of his little hatchback; I would have never thought a pinball machine could have fit in there. I still have the SoF.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

and every year the amount of people older than me diminishes

See the bright side of life. Every year the amount of ladies younger than you increases!

Had my first pin only 2.5 years ago. But played pinball for the first time 42 years ago.

#65 5 years ago

First pin I bought with my own money was in 1989.

#66 5 years ago

just voted....... I may be the newest of the noobies , but Im hooked

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

My first was Xenon. put the quarter in that slot and her hear her moan.
Great machine and now my friend owns it and his kids play.
I bought it in 1992 22 years ago
--Jeff

Xenon was also my first. Our relationship lasted 19 years.

#68 5 years ago

Purchased my first pin around 8 years ago. So i would say 8 years, but like most i have other hobbies. But the last two years i have been more involved with pins. I spend way more time restoring pins then playing. Love electrcial mechanical things...

#69 5 years ago

I bought my first machine (Firepower) in 1989 at age 14 with money from my first job. I did a kind of cabinet repaint (all black) before I knew there was such a thing as restoration and sold the game about a year later. I then forgot about pinball until about 4 years ago. Since then I have picked up 5 machines. So, technically, I have been collecting for 25 years but really it's more like 4. Sometimes I wish I had stuck with it the first time around.

#70 5 years ago

14 years here. First in 97 or 98 can't remember now. TFTC. Took a break while starting my family. Started back in earnest the last 7 years.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

You can’t kill Detroit, you can only add more scars.

#72 5 years ago

The Black Knight has been with my family for about 10 years but I bought my personal first game (Fire) this year.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You've come a long way since then pilgrim. I bet you wish you still had that Galahad. Or do you?
Hey, I pay attention.

My Galahad was lost in a fire about 30 years ago.

#74 5 years ago

LOL, same here, 41+ years in the hobby and still going. My uncle started the ball rolling by giving me his first game he bought new to operate in his grocery store, a Lady Robin Hood. I still have it. My how time flies.

Steve

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

41 years now......I am getting old!, but not Pinball!

#75 5 years ago

Bought my first one in 1982.

#76 5 years ago

First machine 1997, never had more than 4 at any time. first on here about 1-1/2 years.

#77 5 years ago

Bought my first pin in 2003. Really started to get hooked in 2006. Collected over 40 pins by 2012 and now just fix and keep up with them with one typically in the process of resoration. Always interested in the new ones coming out though...

#78 5 years ago

First game Flash in 88'

#79 5 years ago

2 yrs and a lot of head scratches. Oh and and when someone said they multiply after the first one. They were so right.

#80 5 years ago

Stu what does this survey tell us about the hobby? That people don't stick with it more than 5 years usually? Or that forum participation drops off after some period?

#81 5 years ago

Actually, it confirms a lot of my suspicions.

I figured that about 60% of the pinsiders here were "Newbies", and maybe 25% were "Old Timers".
So before anybody goes off on me for anything let me explain "my" definitions of "Newbies" & "Old Timers"...

First, "Old Timers":
Old Timers to "me" are those people that have been collecting for around 20+ years. I also see the Old Timers as people that were collecting Pre-Internet; No On-Line Sources for Games, Parts, Information, Tech Support, Etc. Old Timers started out by collecting from Newspaper Classifieds, Friends, Shows, Etc., when it took forever to actually track down a machine or parts.....back when collecting consumed our time just searching for stuff. Creating a friendship ring across the country was paramount in keeping your collection up & running as well as growing it. We actually had to use the "phone" to discuss problems/issues/solutions ( no Forums & No eMail ).....The best part was the Code that collectors lived by which was Helping Each Other at Little to No Cost....everybody helped each other for free as a 'pay-it-forward' rule, not I've got the Part your looking for it " $$$ + Shipping "....if we had a part that somebody needed we just sent it out > just to be Helpful....Doesn't work like that today (in most cases).

Second, "Newbies":
I see "Newbies" not just as "new to the hobby" but also as "New Breed". By New Breed I mean: Nowadays it's nothing to point & click a mouse to by a Pinball Machine or to "search" the internet for Parts Suppliers and again Point & Click to buy the parts they need. Newbies or "New Breed" have no idea of what it was like to actually Restore a pin 25 years ago or even Buy a pin back then ( and I'm not holding that against them, it's just part of how I see them as Different from the Old Timers). If a newbie has an issue with a game they can post it on a forum and get 45 answers in 3 minutes....Old Timers never had that convenience, we had to do it the hard way which usually took a long time and yielded many poor results and a lot of Trial-&-Error. Today it's easier to buy parts from Suppliers but can you imagine a newbie getting into the hobby of Pinball Machines or even trying to Find Parts without the internet??? They would quit the hobby before they even started in it......

Again, not trying to isolate anybody or knock newbies ( Newbies are helping to keep pinball alive ) it's just how I differentiate the 2.....and I was really curious as to the ratio on pinside....helps with my Marketing Efforts for my Pinball Clients.....

I'm sure that this Poll gives different meanings to different people ( and if that helps them clarify things then all the better )

Stu

Quoted from rommy:

Stu what does this survey tell us about the hobby?

#82 5 years ago

You're painting with a pretty broad brush there, Stu.

A lot of the positive qualities you've ascribed to "Old Timers", I see over and over again on Pinside. By your definition I'm a "newbie" (16 years), but I've given lots of parts away. And I just spent half of my Sunday fixing my friend's Cyclone for a crummy burrito. I also have a friend who's 3 years into the hobby, who has done a lot of restoration work. I get what you're saying about different attitudes. I see it, but it has nothing to do with time in the hobby.

#83 5 years ago

i only own 3 machines so i don't have that much surplus but i gave away a perfectly good widebody glass last month when my invisiglass arrived. i am absolutely grateful that most parts and most technical solutions are merely a google search away, but obviously that good fortune is not a detriment to my character. i will work on being more grizzled if that helps. grahhh, back in my day, there WAS no ignore thread feature on Pinside! you looked at thread titles of threads you didn't care about and you LIKED it! uphill both ways in 2 feet of snow!

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

A lot of the positive qualities you've ascribed to "Old Timers", I see over and over again on Pinside. By your definition I'm a "newbie" (16 years), but I've given lots of parts away. And I just spent half of my Sunday fixing my friend's Cyclone for a crummy burrito. I also have a friend who's 3 years into the hobby, who has done a lot of restoration work. I get what you're saying about different attitudes. I see it, but it has nothing to do with time in the hobby.

That should have been at least two crummy burritos and a few beers.

#85 5 years ago

Yeah, it's pretty hard to generalize the two groups like that. I may be new to actual pin ownership, but the tools, abilities, and knowhow to work on them and fix them.....hell I've been doing that since I was 10(which will be thirty years ago very shortly) when I built my first 1/10 scale RC car from scratch. Lots of soldering and custom mechanical parts making for those things.

As for buying my first pin, sure I knew about using the internet to find a pin, but all I ever found were fake kijiji ads and fully restored machines on eBay. So, I started visiting local arcades, restaurants, convenience stores, waterparks, bowling alleys, and anywhere else I knew that would have arcade machines and/or pins to look for operators that would be interested in selling me something. Anything! I got quite a few phone numbers and just started making calls. I called all sorts of people and people who knew people and I even ended up calling the people who put the Pin-A-Go-Go show on before I even knew what PAGG was! So I guess you could say I took the "old-timer" approach to finding a game. Did it work? Nope. After discovering CL and refining the way I search for machines on it, I finally found a TZ, local and cheap. By that time, I had already joined Pinside so all the help in diagnosing certain strange issues that came up made life a lot easier, sure. But I had gotten to know a really nice local tech that would've been more than happy to teach me the same stuff(I know because I've asked).

Also, the VAST majority of parts I've purchased for my pins, I've bought at shows. Not just because it's cheaper(which is important to me), but also because I am a VERY hands-on kind of guy. I like to be able to hold a part in my hands and look it over to absolutely KNOW whether it's going to work or not. It's been that way with me for as long as I can remember with respect to any kind of replacement part I get: pinball, classic car, guitar....anything! I can pick a part up and know pretty quickly if it's going to work or not and if it's going to give me fitment issues.

All that to say: We all have very different backgrounds and roads that lead us here and truthfully, the same could be said of just about any hobby since before the inception of the internet. I've been doing classic Mustangs for 24 years now, talk about a massive change!

#86 5 years ago

Just aboot 7 years for me in the ownership department.

#87 5 years ago

9 years for me! I was 'told' once the newness wears off you start selling after accumulating. Still waiting for that...I only sold 2 games but have collected and held many! Hell ya!

#88 5 years ago

Yep. there is going to be people that disagree with my line of thinking, but keep in mind that this is simply "my" line of thinking and this is the way " I " see it ( as an Old Timer ).....

Nothing wrong with the newbies, hell as I said previously, "the newbies are helping to keep pinball alive" so no problems there....this is just the way i see things, and if we asked 100 different people we would most likely get 100 different answers.....

it's Beer 30 right?

Quoted from swampfire:

#89 5 years ago

A little more than three weeks now.

#90 5 years ago

Started collecting/fixing in 2008...

#91 5 years ago

your kidding right....that person should have followed it up with "Oh Yeah, They Multiply Like Rabbits"

Quoted from dankme:

I was 'told' once the newness wears off you start selling after accumulating.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from dankme:

9 years for me! I was 'told' once the newness wears off you start selling after accumulating. Still waiting for that...I only sold 2 games but have collected and held many! Hell ya!

Once it happens you will have enough cash to buy a house...or a Shelby Cobra.

#93 5 years ago

I'll be honest, I still have my toy pinball machine that I got when I was a small child in the mid 60s. So that would be almost 50 years.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

your kidding right....that person should have followed it up with "Oh Yeah, They Multiply Like Rabbits"

Eh, they were exiting pinball, selling their collection and I was buying as many of theirs as I could afford. I know of several people who lost interest in pinball and sold off their collections. Not me! I got the BUG bad.

Quoted from tracelifter:

Once it happens you will have enough cash to buy a house...or a Shelby Cobra.

I am pretty sure my collection is worth more than my house. Okay maybe not exactly but getting there. Especially with new games costing around $8K a pop now...this hobby is damn expensive

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carson City, NV
$ 15.00
$ 11.00
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 49.00
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 90.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, OH
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.00
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside