DSC03310 (resized).JPG
DSC03309 (resized).JPG
DSC03308 (resized).JPG
DSC03307 (resized).JPG
DSC03306 (resized).JPG
DSC03304 (resized).JPG
DSC03305 (resized).JPG
DSC03303 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

After taking apart the main cabinet and the lightbox, I decided to redo the little board holding the Tilt mechanism and the two chimes. I got the inspiration of painting it red, from Matt (see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-thought-she-was-a-dirty-girl-before-i-stripped-her-down).

Thanks for the shout out man! Now I might have to revisit some of my tilt panel cuz I’m jealous of that dark grey you did to those fixtures. Amazing start!

1 week later
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Today, I redid the power supply.
The Bally AS-2518-18 are notorious for being extremely poorly designed and failing on a regular base. The original PCB is not very well traced and numerous modifications must be made to bring it to modern standards (See Marvin's recommendations). Instead of wasting my time trying to improve and make reliable an old piece of electronics, I decided to go with the $35 kit from NVRAM.WEEBLY for a complete replacement of the Power supply including fuses and shipping. It is truly hard to beat such a deal and I am very happy with the product and the final result.
Here is the kit as provided by NVRAM.WEEBLY:

It takes a little bit of assembly to put it together. The fuse holders are re-enforced for the 20 Amps and 10 Amps fuses.
Here you can compare the original Power Supply and its replacement. The replacement uses 35 Amps rectifiers instead of the 20 Amps used by Bally in the late seventies. There is only one drawback with the replacement power supply: the clear plastic insulator cannot be mounted on top of the fuses, because of the up mounted heatsinks. It is not such a loss as the two resistors are generating a lot of heat and are better off with as much cooling as possible.

The replacement circuit is very well designed with large tracks and makes for a much cleaner and more reliable assembly:

Below is the finished assembly:

The replacement PCB is mounted with four sturdy columns, instead of the awful and fragile plastic pins used by Bally. There is plenty of space to prevent a bending of the wires and for air flow, underneath:

After powering up the transformer and installing the fuses, all the values are matching the schematics. Overall, I am very happy and feel a lot of better about this central and essential piece of equipment.
Yves

I’m so jealous of all of this

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Well, the stencils have arrived. Very fresh stencils, perhaps a little bit too fresh....They stick so much, it is scaring.
Anyway, there is my first ever attempt at Using Pinball Pimp stencils:

I am quite happy with the results but the stencils took some tiny specs of paint with it. Mostly on the edge. I wonder if placing the stencils in the fridge may reduce their stickiness a little bit.... I am mostly concerned for the final stencil (Black).
Overall, the quality and ease of these stencils is incredible. The junction between red and yellow is perfect and there is no leaking. I went with very soft sprays/coats trying to be patient (5 minutes) between them .... and ended up with about three passes. Five minutes later, I am pulling on the stencil.
Quite happy so far, but that is a lot of work and masking..... Rolling the colors may be so much more convenient.
Matt, it is your turn now with the main cabinet...... Be brave!
Yves

Looking great! My cab is up to bat for sure. I’m going to be doing the front and one side on Saturday and hopefully the other side on Sunday if all goes well. -Matt

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

A little progress on the Lightbox:

I am really impressed by the quality and precision of Pinball Pimp stencils. No wonder Jeff is the reference when it comes to repainting these classic Pinball machines.
Yves

Best feeling ever is when you’re peeling it off and that last little bit of the stencil let’s go and you’re left with a perfect re-creation. Looking good!

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Time for a little update. The other side of the lightbox has been painted. It did not work as well as the left side. One of the stencil piece reap off and I had to install it by hand, carefully. Then my black coat was slightly too heavy, causing some issues when removing the stencils. Fortunately, I found a trick to fix my mistakes using a small cotton swab, impregnated with Naphta. By working very lightly, it lifted the black paint, leaving the yellow or red untouched. Relief!!!

After this, it is time to re-assemble the power supply and the various boards. Fresh 10-32 screws for anchoring the heavy transformer to its mount.

I like this....

For the time being, I am only installing the Rectifier and Solenoid Driver board and the Light board. Before going further, I want to verify all the voltages and grounds.

It is coming along. One of the display has been installed and the high voltage adjusted to 165 VDC. I can see a faint light on the left side of the display. There is hope.

Yves

Loving it. Looking good!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Some updates: working mostly on the electronics and displays.
I received a new Alltek CPU and installed it. The beast is alive, sings a tune and scores accordingly when the playfield is connected.

Only shadow to this picture, the new Alltek board will not go into Self Test mode and I cannot access the Bookkeeping or test any of the lights and coils. What a bummer. I am in negotiations with the owner of Alltek to get an RMA and an exchange. I have purchased 3 Alltek MPUs in the past (10 years ago) and they have always worked perfectly. The new version (NVRAM based) although more sophisticated may not be as reliable as the old one.
I have tried removing J2 and J3 connectors on the MPU and pressing the SELF-TEST button....to no availability. I swapped it with another of my machines and the behavior is the same.
We will see how this goes.
Yves

Oh man.... I haven’t tested my board yet on mine. Let us know how it goes.

#33 5 years ago

You beat me to it! I just finished mine and I experimented with the stencil on my right side and I wanted to let you know! Well, try this on your next side. I made 3 cuts in the stencil to make it easier to peel instead of one giant stencil. With mine I put the last coat on thick to keep it wet longer when I peeled and it came up like a dream. See where I cut it in the pics. Yours looks great!

85F473E8-A54E-4BD8-A713-B0CB35D6BF59 (resized).jpeg85F473E8-A54E-4BD8-A713-B0CB35D6BF59 (resized).jpegE923A10E-0CFA-4A07-916D-1E43C6A9D55C (resized).jpegE923A10E-0CFA-4A07-916D-1E43C6A9D55C (resized).jpeg

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I installed the knocker in the main cabinet. Bally was out of its mind when they placed the knocker near the CPU board.... All this to save a few feet of wires and one connector. It does not make any sense to have this coil spitting coil dust over the boards and shacking the backglass and all the electronics near by.... Very poor design that was quickly modified in the following years and models.

That will provide a nice and loud whack that can be heard by the whole attendance.
Yves

So good! I love the knocker in the cabinet, great idea! Keep it up Yves!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Interestingly enough, the holes do not exactly match and the replacement rails do not have the hole on the top rear part.

I noticed that too, almost every hole was off from the original. Thought it was just a fluke thing on mine.

1 week later
#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Just finished brushing the rear of the playfield:

A lot cleaner than what it used to be.
Yves

Looks great, so clean. Had I known that I would’ve become as obsessive compulsive as I ended up being about my project I would’ve done this too before I sent it off to be cleared.

1 week later
#65 5 years ago

Great job this is gonna look sweet!

3 weeks later
#90 5 years ago

Im so glad you painted the saucer black too, maybe we are starting a revolution with all future restos of this game! haha
Looks great, cant wait to see it repopulated.
-Matt

#95 5 years ago

Everything is looking so good Yves!

#107 5 years ago

Can’t wait to see it finished Yves! Almost there.

11 months later
#123 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Thank you. I am following your thread too, with a lot of interests.
Yves

Yves! Where you been hiding man?! Any new projects lately?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ycv-bally-mata-hari-the-eye-of-the-day?tu=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.