New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 278069)

Ya know what’s better then games based on movies and music

By Luckydogg420

25 days ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4875026F-27FD-4E83-A5F8-9155F00606E1 (resized).jpeg
647E2C3A-1DDD-4531-A90E-C6D62EA68522 (resized).jpeg
5AA2AADD-F3BC-493E-9D7C-A069BC4AA2C8 (resized).jpeg
06CA0A37-6655-4E6F-9F86-5F28DFB3D335 (resized).jpeg

#1 25 days ago

Video games.

I think it’s time that manufactures look at gaming franchises for their next major releases. What would be your favourite game to be made into a pin? Why do they continue to make only music and movie franchises? If they’re going after a license for a game why make Supreme, cheap beer, or pizza?

Video games are where the big money is found. Personally I think games like Pokémon, Metroid and sonic are a no brainer. But I’d really like to see a Zelda like RPG game, where you enter your initials first and can build over multiple games to completer the game

06CA0A37-6655-4E6F-9F86-5F28DFB3D335 (resized).jpeg5AA2AADD-F3BC-493E-9D7C-A069BC4AA2C8 (resized).jpeg647E2C3A-1DDD-4531-A90E-C6D62EA68522 (resized).jpeg
#2 25 days ago

If Stern could do a Sega with Sonic theme, that would be awesome. Make it retro with jumbo ColorDMD.

A Pixels like game not based on the movie would be sweet. Perfect for Zombie Yeti.

Would hate Minecraft and Fortnite, as I see way to much of those popular games with my kids playing.

#3 24 days ago

I agree but u know what they will do? Sonic and Zelda or Mario and other kids games. I want GTA, Wolfenstein, God of war, Darksiders, Doom I mean those would translate so well into fantastic pins with great potential for art and animations.

#4 24 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree but u know what they will do? Sonic and Zelda or Mario and other kids games. I want GTA, Wolfenstein, God of war, Darksiders, Doom I mean those would translate so well into fantastic pins with great potential for art and animations.

Stern has made sopranos and playboy. They could do doom justice

#5 24 days ago

We could only hope for a sonic that beats Skit-b’s homebrew attempt

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/sonic-the-hedgehog

Would you like a game within a game using flipper buttons to go through bosses etc? Kind of like the asteroid dodging in SW?

#6 24 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Stern has made sopranos and playboy. They could do doom justice

They could do all the ones I listed. Doom would be just an amazing change from the kids themes and old bands and superhero crap. I wish JJP would take one of those on like GTA, they won't but damn.

#7 24 days ago

Wait, hold on, let me get this this straight: Hazoff wants dark, adult themes?

#8 24 days ago

Fwiw, McSquid is making an amazing Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball homebrew. Check it out, they're doing some real quality work!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball

#9 23 days ago

I don't get the video game theme desire. If you like the video game, won't you play that instead of the pinball? And the pinball will never play like the video game, good or bad.

#10 23 days ago

Gladiators was supposed to be Zelda
Qbert is a video game and a really fun pin
Super Mario Bros is a pin
Street Fighter is a pin
Deadpool might as well be a video game

I know this isn't a popular o-'pin'-nion but original titles make the best pins. Just like original video game titles make the best video games.

#11 23 days ago
Quoted from NTXCoog:

I don't get the video game theme desire. If you like the video game, won't you play that instead of the pinball? And the pinball will never play like the video game, good or bad.

I don’t understand the music pin desire. I have a jukebox, play any song you want. At least a video game has characters with objectives that should easily transfer into pinball modes.

#12 23 days ago

I wish an unlicensed theme era would surface again.

#13 23 days ago

I can see Pokémon being a good theme but I personally can't think of any other video game themes that could work.

#14 23 days ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I personally can't think of any other video game themes that could work.

They all “could” work. Look at roller coaster tycoon, it was a video game first, and works decent as a pin. Street fighter 2 has poor rules, but it works. Mario, is a simple game but fun for the kids.

#15 23 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t understand the music pin desire. I have a jukebox, play any song you want. At least a video game has characters with objectives that should easily transfer into pinball modes.

I can see why people might not like music pins, but your comparison is weak. With a juke box, there is no physical interaction once the song is started. There are no points awarded. There are no goals achieved. There is no competition.

If the only point of a music pin was to play music, your comparison would be accurate. But the primary purposes are completely different, play a game vs listen to a song. Pinball and video games have a very similar primary purpose, play a game

#16 23 days ago
Quoted from denoument:

Deadpool might as well be a video game

Doesn't this prove the point? Good characters, good story, 90s video game inspiration = success. Deadpool is well respected. It is also all theme, code, and theme integration. No toys and a pretty simple two flipper layout.

#17 23 days ago

I have said this for years as well, even though I don’t play any of the new ones I would be for the old school classics. My number one vote has always been Castlevania!

4875026F-27FD-4E83-A5F8-9155F00606E1 (resized).jpeg
#18 23 days ago

Bioshock.

Bathysphere multiball.

#19 23 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I wish an unlicensed theme era would surface again.

This so much. I think the best games to date are the ones without a license tied to it.

#20 23 days ago

I know my late 90's/early 2000's childhood is really showing here, but I'm super surprised none of the major manufacturers have tried to license Pokemon. It's literally the biggest media franchise ever in terms of revenue and it already had an (actually very good) video pinball adaptation.

#21 23 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Hazoff wants dark, adult themes?

U don't? I don't want every pin to be that way.

Hey I'm all for
Looney tunes, the OG stuff not the crap they are churning out in recent years
Spongebob
Ren and Stimpy
I'd love a SM based on the 60's cartoon
Big fan of comedy but it has to translate well into a pin. Strange Brew comes to mind.
Bond
OG themes with a outer space vibe, Sci fi
A good modern western pin, but with the character of the classic spaghetti western
so many but yeah I would like a few more dark adult themes, considering its mostly middle aged men buying these games the themes for the most part of disturbing.

Oh yeah.

The 80's had some great themes that could be re-done with ramps and new code and animations.

Centaur
Stargazer
Quicksilver
Pharaoh
Sorcerer
to name just a few.

#22 23 days ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

This so much. I think the best games to date are the ones without a license tied to it.

Don’t get me wrong I love some licenses too but I feel like the old school ones were just better.
I mean take Space Shuttle. Not a movie, not a band, just awesome.

#23 23 days ago
Quoted from Rolpa:

I know my late 90's/early 2000's childhood is really showing here, but I'm super surprised none of the major manufacturers have tried to license Pokemon. It's literally the biggest media franchise ever in terms of revenue and it already had an (actually very good) video pinball adaptation.

I really disagree with this. I think most of us tire of our kids leaving those damn cards all over the house. Now, Magic the Gathering could get people interested.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside