(Topic ID: 201048)

Y-Splice w/Small Gauge Wire. Best Approach?

By markp99

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Fytr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imgres-2 (resized).jpg
    Xlr-connectors (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markp99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I'm looking for some ideas on a better way to produce a Y-splice with small gauge wire (22-26 AWG).

In this case I am splicing a wire end into an existing length of wire.

My typical approach is to cut the existing wire at the desired point, strip and tin the ends. Strip the new wire, tin the end. Twist the 3 ends together and solder. Add a bit of heatshrink to cover the new joint.

This approach seems to work ok, but I wonder about the mechanical strength/durability of the joint. Especially the new wire with its clumsy exit from the heat shrink sleeve.

Any suggestions for a better Y-Splice? Are crimp options viable? I've used teleco crimp buttons in phone applications; I think they look too ugly to put into a pinball machine. I've seen butt splice crimp sleeves, but for larger gauges. Would these work for a Y-Splice?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Thanks

So, can I just use a crimp style butt-splice and add a 3rd wire to accomplish the desired Y-Splice? Wouldn't the extra wire diameter on the "Y" end compromise the crimp connection compared with the single-wired end?

#5 6 years ago

Yep, I like the idea of stripping a section of insulation without cutting, but I prefer heat shrink sleeve vs wrap, and really prefer NOT to de-pin or unsolder an end to permit me to slip on a sleeve. Sleeving the folded-over the joint does not pass my OCD test, especially when there are a "few" of these connection in close proximity

Hmm, a terminal block might actually be ideal in this backbox location. Lots of slack up there... Very tidy result.

#12 6 years ago

I'll take a look at the crimped butt splice option and try a few samples.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Side question - why do I see a red wire having a black wire spliced into it??? That's just asking for trouble to me...

The example was just for illustration. Its actually a BLUE wire The colors match appropriately in the 4-wire bundle I assembled last night.

Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markp99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/y-splice-wsmall-gauge-wire-best-approach?tu=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.