Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

837FD126-992C-4211-8AE5-7AF53F8C502A (resized).jpeg
    081E2B06-C32E-43B2-88AC-DF09896A1340 (resized).jpeg
    BF756F94-9150-4CE5-93D5-7E99DFEFE7EB (resized).jpeg
    75B4A647-685F-45BA-8480-B17BDD98FE53 (resized).jpeg
    7B6B2CBB-6F46-4068-BFA6-DE60A13F7CDF (resized).jpeg
    BFB5FC21-D2C8-4B5B-9554-E9DAF8B984B2 (resized).jpeg
    1B3DE48B-E029-4609-B81D-49CC6C1A66E7 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

So, I own a hand held XRF gun.
    For those of you that don’t know what it is or what it does, let me explain.
    It uses X-ray fluorescence and scans the surface metal a certain number of micros deep giving you a reading of what the metallic composition is with percentages including trace elements.
    There are various industrial uses for it ranging from scanning soil samples to see what metals they contain to scanning precious metal for composition.
    We use this in the office for a variety of application. Mostly scanning things like rare coins for trace elements as a tool in determine authenticity and vetting counterfeits. For instance prior to electrolytic refining many trace elements could not be entirely refined from the ore when it was smelted and assayed. Many silver coins prior to electrolytic refining have 1/4 to 1/2 of a percent of gold and other metals in them because refining techniques at that time were not able to remove 100% of the trace metals from the ore.
    Does it have limitations? Yes, absolutely.
    Certain items like items that have been plated will not give you a correct reading. Since it only scans so many microns deep, it would give you a skewed percentage and a larger percentage of the plated material would show in a reading rather than the objects actual composition.
    For instance I could get a pretty good reading on a pinball, but not one that’s been chrome plated.
    It’s not 100% infallible and there is a small margin of error. The only real way to get a correct reading of composition would be to melt an item completely down and test a core sample. You can also get an inaccurate reading if the metal is oxidized or you don’t have a clean surface. Oxidized parts will not read the same as parts without oxidation or corrosion. Essentially trace elements and lesser metals tend to get eaten away first in the corrosion process.
    Anyhow, it is an interesting tool and since I have one was wondering if it would be useful for testing the composition of pinballs or perhaps pinball parts?
    Maybe there are certain metal parts with a higher failure rate than others, or pinballs that get beat up faster than others?
    In these cases it might be interesting to see what their metallic composition is and what they are alloyed with.
    Here’s a sample I did where I scanned some pinballs I purchased from Marco.
    Fe 99.33% Iron
    Mn 0.54% Manganese
    Cr 0.05% Chromium
    Sb 0.03% Antimony
    Pb 0.02% Lead
    Sn 0.02% Tin
    Zn 0.01% Zinc
    Zr 0.00% Zirconium (almost unmeasurable amount)
    So what exactly does all this stuff being in the alloy mean? Well, the 0.54% of manganese and high percentage or iron are really the two things you want to focus on in this case. About a half percent of manganese is what’s needed in the process of making steel. The fact that the iron is refined to 99%+ is also a good sign.
    The rest of the trace elements that are showing are very minor and insignificant remnants of other metals that probably had a higher concentration prior to refining. It’s way too expensive and costly to get these tiny percentiles out 100%.
    In short, this is a well made pinball that is refined and alloyed correctly.
    Thinking about testing some other stuff.
    Any suggestions?
    Other pinballs, lock down bars, coil stop etc?
    Anyhow, might not be useful at all, but I thought it was interesting.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The new stern coil stops compared to the old ones the used to find out why they’re such flimsy junk now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xrf-and-pinball-parts-?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.