(Topic ID: 296193)

XPin: Demise Xaggerated: Alive & Well (Reports)

By AlonzoMoselyFBI

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0409.jpg
#1 2 years ago

Does anyone know if XPin is still in the display business? Their web site is still up, but seems like it might be a zombie. Their bread and butter products are all out of stock, links are broken, and it says "Copyright 2015-2019" along the bottom... not a good sign. Their Pinside account is also inactive.

I was hoping to find a monochrome replacement for STTNG. Is ColorDMD the only option for aftermarket DMDs these days?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from AlonzoMoselyFBI:

Does anyone know if XPin is still in the display business?

Yes, they are very much still in business. Just today they announced adding a new distributor for their products.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin-welcomes-the-pinball-wizard

I was hoping to find a monochrome replacement for STTNG. Is ColorDMD the only option for aftermarket DMDs these days?

You can usually find used DMDs for $100 when people have replaced them with colorDMDs.

Otherwise, I think there's just pin2dmd, colordmd, and xpin for the most part.

https://www.thepinballwizard.net/x-pin-products/led-dot-matrix-display-orange/

#3 2 years ago

I hope that means they intend to send Pinball Wizard stuff to sell! Most of the XPin line listed there is also out of stock. I guess I'll keep checking!

#4 2 years ago

We very much are still in business! Last year XPin teamed up with Big Daddy Enterprises and since that point, both of us have been busier than ever!

With any type of joining, changes have occurred. We took some feedback from our customers and made some changes to the website that better suited this hobby. We also have added to our reseller offering and a few new products.

XPin sales have more than TRIPLED since the team up. This is what happens when you have successful product. Not including Todd at Big Daddy, XPin is still a family operation, I just didn't foresee the growth this last year and some things have lagged.

To address the DMD question, I should have them in stock in early August. Just like the rest of the electronics industry, chip shortages have impacted XPin products. I have had to respin several boards to address these shortages as well as change the direction of some of the new designs because of them.

A lot is happening. We definitely have not EXPIRED!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from XPinPinball:

We very much are still in business! Last year XPin teamed up with Big Daddy Enterprises and since that point, both of us have been busier than ever!
With any type of joining, changes have occurred. We took some feedback from our customers and made some changes to the website that better suited this hobby. We also have added to our reseller offering and a few new products.
XPin sales have more than TRIPLED since the team up. This is what happens when you have successful product. Not including Todd at Big Daddy, XPin is still a family operation, I just didn't foresee the growth this last year and some things have lagged.
To address the DMD question, I should have them in stock in early August. Just like the rest of the electronics industry, chip shortages have impacted XPin products. I have had to respin several boards to address these shortages as well as change the direction of some of the new designs because of them.
A lot is happening. We definitely have not EXPIRED!

Any updates or insights into the Mystic backglass mod you were making in tandem with CPR?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from AlonzoMoselyFBI:Does anyone know if XPin is still in the display business? Their web site is still up, but seems like it might be a zombie.

XPin is very much in business, and busier than ever. A little poking around would have answered that quickly. Please help me understand what you mean by the site being a "zombie"

Their bread and butter products are all out of stock

Wow, that's quite exaggerated!! We (XPin and Big Daddy) offer a whopping 115 different boards, and many those can be generally broken down in to 15 different types of display designs with all sorts of various color combinations, and displays made for games that no one else or at least not many make, High Speed, Banzai Run, Millionaire, Taxi, Police Force Riverboat Gambler. Displays do make up the majority of offerings, but of those, we are out of 7Volutions due to a part for the driver board that US companies were predicting 6 months, but we found and are building. We are out of most colors of the 6803 displays, do have white though. They are due in a week or two. The DMDs you can imagine are a slower seller because of so many used ones on the market and ColorDMD, but we have at least one of each color across the board except for red. And that too, we have them coming. If you are wanting white, there is one HV version available.

In addition, there's about 20 more boards, power supplies, drivers, etc. Out of those, we are out of just (2) types, with them being built.

In total, we have well over 1000 boards in stock, this is easily 4-5 times the amount of inventory of a year ago. When Brett and I joined in August, different thinking was done and instead of building 10 boards, or building boards as needed, we are producing in much larger lots. That takes time to stock up, but I just got in 130 boards Friday, and more on the way.

Ran a utility and found only 3 that were broken, not a lot out of 2000.

and it says "Copyright 2015-2019" along the bottom... not a good sign.

Dang! I guess Pinball Resource is out of business since their's says 2018! Worse yet, Bay Area and Planetary are 2017!! But thanks for bringing that to our attention. Pages I'm seeing say 2021.

Their Pinside account is also inactive.

Well that's incorrect. The one post you found was from one of the former owners. XPin in now made up of two owners, Brett who posted above, and Todd here from Big Daddy Enterprises.

Hope that clears things up for you and others. XPin is fairly active on Facebook as is Big Daddy Enterprises:

https://www.facebook.com/xpinpinball

https://www.facebook.com/Big-Daddy-Enterprises-243775242366676

#7 2 years ago

Buy used. Because of ColorDMD, the DMD market is different than any other market pinball... extremely populated with used orange DMDs like never before. Before ColorDMD they weren't easy to find because people were still using them, but now it seems like they're all over the place... makes sense. It's a funny (and helpful) phenomenon that wasn't here just a few years ago.

It's not like they're from parted-out games either, usually mint condition ones ironically, just getting swapped to ColorDMD... so they're usually high-quality ones too out of perfectly-fine games with low plays & low hours. Funny how that all works out. Can't go wrong with that. Some guy upgrades to a ColorDMD in his HUO Addams... boom... super nice orange DMD on the market for a low price and for no reason at all besides a swap to color... perfectly functional and didn't "have to be" pulled.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsvec:

XPin is very much in business, and busier than ever. A little poking around would have answered that quickly. Please help me understand what you mean by the site being a "zombie"

Wow, that's quite exaggerated!! We (XPin and Big Daddy) offer a whopping 115 different boards, and many those can be generally broken down in to 15 different types of display designs with all sorts of various color combinations, and displays made for games that no one else or at least not many make, High Speed, Banzai Run, Millionaire, Taxi, Police Force Riverboat Gambler. Displays do make up the majority of offerings, but of those, we are out of 7Volutions due to a part for the driver board that US companies were predicting 6 months, but we found and are building. We are out of most colors of the 6803 displays, do have white though. They are due in a week or two. The DMDs you can imagine are a slower seller because of so many used ones on the market and ColorDMD, but we have at least one of each color across the board except for red. And that too, we have them coming. If you are wanting white, there is one HV version available.
In addition, there's about 20 more boards, power supplies, drivers, etc. Out of those, we are out of just (2) types, with them being built.
In total, we have well over 1000 boards in stock, this is easily 4-5 times the amount of inventory of a year ago. When Brett and I joined in August, different thinking was done and instead of building 10 boards, or building boards as needed, we are producing in much larger lots. That takes time to stock up, but I just got in 130 boards Friday, and more on the way.

Ran a utility and found only 3 that were broken, not a lot out of 2000.

Dang! I guess Pinball Resource is out of business since their's says 2018! Worse yet, Bay Area and Planetary are 2017!! But thanks for bringing that to our attention. Pages I'm seeing say 2021.

Well that's incorrect. The one post you found was from one of the former owners. XPin in now made up of two owners, Brett who posted above, and Todd here from Big Daddy Enterprises.
Hope that clears things up for you and others. XPin is fairly active on Facebook as is Big Daddy Enterprises:
https://www.facebook.com/xpinpinball
https://www.facebook.com/Big-Daddy-Enterprises-243775242366676

Wow - was just inquiring to the community for information, hoping you WERE still in business, and looking to improve my machine. I'm glad my questions about the site prompted its update, gave y'all an excuse to post some news -- and a sweet Pinside Clapback(TM)! But I suddenly find myself turned off to the whole XPin thing at this point. I wish you luck in the future.

2 weeks later
#9 2 years ago

I suddenly find myself turned off to the whole XPin thing at this point.

Don't know why, your questions were answered. XPin is doing very well.

1 month later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsvec:

Don't know why, your questions were answered. XPin is doing very well.

Ok I can explain: It’s that one of the new owners took great time and effort to offend a potential customer.

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

It’s that one of the new owners took great time and effort to offend a potential customer

From the beginning this sounded like a post with an ulterior motive, bashing XPin for no reason. Posting a lot of false statements, and angry about the factual replies. If you're offended by answers to questions & statement you asked, I don't know what to tell you. No one tried to insult you.

#12 2 years ago

I just read this whole thread from start to finish, and this reads like a Reddit AITA thread. Spoiler: it’s not Xpin.

#13 2 years ago

Maybe OP should consider revising his subject line .

Shane

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from bepositive:

Shane

Methinks the OP had or has some sort of ulterior motive here??????

1 week later
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from xpinchris:

From the beginning this sounded like a post with an ulterior motive, bashing XPin for no reason. Posting a lot of false statements, and angry about the factual replies. If you're offended by answers to questions & statement you asked, I don't know what to tell you. No one tried to insult you.

Did you read my post? If you took it as bashing, that's on you. There was nothing false in my statements.

Y'all really know how to make a fan of your products feel special!!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Methinks the OP had or has some sort of ulterior motive here??????

You got me there. It may not have come through when I very coyly stated, "I was hoping to find a monochrome replacement for STTNG", but I guess I'll just spell it out: I was hoping to purchase an XPin product.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from bepositive:

Shane

Fair enough. Done.

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Did you read my post? If you took it as bashing, that's on you. There was nothing false in my statements.
Y'all really know how to make a fan of your products feel special!!

I did read, and replied with all of the points and pointed out the "false" statements. Just trying to set the facts straight, that's all. We love our customers, most love us! We're busier than ever and have a ton coming. PM me direct and I'll give you a whopping $50 off of any XPin product over $200. No hard feelings.

2 weeks later
#19 2 years ago

Thanks a lot, Todd. It looks great.

IMG_0409.jpgIMG_0409.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin-xpired and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.