8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ChadNC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“XPin Needs your help...”

• XP-DMD4096LV-B: Blue 30 votes
      65%
    • XP-DMD4096LV-O: Orange 3 votes
      7%
    • XP-DMD4096LV-R: Red 4 votes
      9%
    • XP-DMD4096LV-A: Amber 2 votes
      4%
    • XP-DMD4096LV-G: Green 5 votes
      11%
    • XP-DMD4096LV-YG: Yellow/Green 2 votes
      4%

(46 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Filter2.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    No_Filter2.jpg
    DMD4.JPG
    867_1051.JPG
    867_1040.JPG

#1 8 years ago

I have been getting several requests for the 5V version of the XP-DMD4096-x boards. With any type of manufacturing there is always a cost tied to volume. The existing boards do support 5v operation, but some components need to be removed and some components added in place of. The big question is how much interest is there in these variations and of what colors?

For the last several years, Stern games going to Europe have been shipped with Vishay LED displays. Once the above mentioned modifications to the assembly process have been made, XP-DMD4096 is once again plug'n'play. Right now in the USA we have ACDC and XMen that came out standard with LEDs.

So what I need is to guage interest in this version, and color. I have set up this email with a topic poll to guage the interest. I have a window in production in two weeks were I can initiate a change to build the 5V version. These would be listed as XP-DMD4096LV-x. If it seems like there is enough real solid interest, then I will announce it and schedule production. No purchase commitment is necessary.

Thanks for the feedback!

Brett

#2 8 years ago

I plan to buy about 8 blues, 2 greens, 1 yellow/green. You know what I would really love? A nice bright white and a set of filters we can install that would include a myriad of colors and be really flexible. Would white be that hard to produce for this purpose?

#3 8 years ago

If this takes off would it be possible to use the old Vishay panel in a plasma DMD game? Or would that require too many mods? Do the included Vishay panels use blocks of LEDs or one big panel? I'm guessing blocks. I did see one in person but didn't look close enough.

#4 8 years ago

+1 to white and let us do our own filters

#5 8 years ago

24 in the States was led as well.

#6 8 years ago

White would be pretty cool with some filters

#7 8 years ago

I don't think the average pinball guy/gal knows or even cares about what you're asking Brett. All that matters is, if I buy it will it work in my game? Five volts, 65V, who cares. Is it plug and play in my collection or not?

So, with that said, current X-Pin LED DMD displays will work in any and all US games except 24, AC/DC, and X-Men. The reason they won't work in these three Stern games is the X-Pin LED DMD requires the 65V from the HV which is not present in these new Stern games that were designed without high voltage for plasma displays.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#8 8 years ago

The 5v version will be great for the virtual pinball people.
    I will be testing one out shortly and posting pictures of it working in a Virtual pinball machine.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

A nice bright white and a set of filters we can install that would include a myriad of colors

Yeah yeah yeah!!!

#10 8 years ago

Didn't realise you guys in the US are being stiffed with those worthless LED displays too now in new Sterns. Stern logo looked like a patchwork quilt on my EU Tron. It was top of my mod list to retrofit a proper plasma display.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

The 5v version will be great for the virtual pinball people.I will be testing one out shortly and posting pictures of it working in a Virtual pinball machine.

Unfortunately, I purchased an orange Vishay since the xpin was out at the time, didn't see expect dates, and I was still waiting for test results... I'm still in waiting period for probably another month. I have much higher confindence that the xPin will look better, just needed confirmation that it worked with Russ's pinDMD USB dongle hardware. Still might be interested in the Orange LV 5v, if it works, and my vishay ends up looking like a lego board - LOL

I didn't vote since majority of the Pinside peeps are exclusive to real pinball.

#12 8 years ago

I have not bought your product as of yet but I really like Markmons' idea. White with filters would be much nicer.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

A nice bright white and a set of filters we can install that would include a myriad of colors and be really flexible. Would white be that hard to produce for this purpose?

Mark nailed this one. You don't have to produce the different colors, just produce a bright white and sell filters. This will lower production costs and make everyone happy. Now about the price of these things.............

#15 8 years ago

I REALLY wish single panel displays were more affordable. Why is it feasible to produce a single panel plasma display then? If one pixel is bad the entire display must be discarded. And I'm sure they are more complex to manufacture than LED panels. I'm not trying to make X-Pin look bad, but here are some pictures of what their displays look like, not really any better in terms of the grid lines.

http://www.xpinpinball.com/gallery

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

... I'm not trying to make X-Pin look bad, but here are some pictures of what their displays look like, not really any better in terms of the grid lines.
    http://www.xpinpinball.com/gallery

As with most photos of most anything, getting a true representation of exactly what the human eye sees in person is nearly impossible. I'm not a fan of using LED blocks either, but the displays look great in person.

These are the same 8x8 blocks that Stern has been using in 24, AC/DC and X-Men. Most would not even know they had LED displays in these games without being told, and looking real close.

There are many here that now have these X-Pin DMDs in their games and can give first hand experience of how they look. Maybe some will chime in.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

...There are many here that now have these X-Pin DMDs in their games and can give first hand experience of how they look. Maybe some will chime in.

Umm...well...or not.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I plan to buy about 8 blues, 2 greens, 1 yellow/green. You know what I would really love? A nice bright white and a set of filters we can install that would include a myriad of colors and be really flexible. Would white be that hard to produce for this purpose?

Holy crap.

There's a first time for everything...here we go....

MARK, YOU ARE A F*CKING GENIUS!!!

I bought the blue X-Pin DMD for my Avatar, and I had Pinbits make me a blue plexi window for it (similar to Stern's new games w/ the red windows). If the LEDs were white, the blue would make it blue anyway! *forehead slap*

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

There are many here that now have these X-Pin DMDs in their games and can give first hand experience of how they look. Maybe some will chime in.

I suppose it varies from unit to unit...but my red LED DMD in my X-Men isn't as "griddy" as my blue X-Pin DMD in my Avatar. That being said, I do enjoy my X-Pin DMD, and blue totally makes Avatar's "footage" look much better, since most of the characters are blue Na'vi doing stuff. I don't think I'd recommend changing out every DMD for a color LED one....but, if it really fits the theme of your game, I think it's cool!

#20 8 years ago

I installed the blue led in my tron, i then took it back out and installed the piece of tint and could not stand it on it, it made it look cheap and had a bad reflection of the playfield lights so i took the tint back off and i am happy with the way it looks without the tint as the dots look like they line up with the speaker grill dots, they look like they are about the same size dots. But I would like the blue plexi glass window to try that. So if they made the dmd plexi window in more colors then white leds would should work out.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

As with most photos of most anything, getting a true representation of exactly what the human eye sees in person is nearly impossible. I'm not a fan of using LED blocks either, but the displays look great in person.
    These are the same 8x8 blocks that Stern has been using in 24, AC/DC and X-Men. Most would not even know they had LED displays in these games without being told, and looking real close.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

I put a blue one in my Big Bang Bar, the display looks terrible because of the lines between the LED blocks, especially when a solid graphic spans most of the display, not sure if I'll keep it in or put the plasma back in.

Jon

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

I installed the blue led in my tron, i then took it back out and installed the piece of tint and could not stand it on it, it made it look cheap and had a bad reflection of the playfield lights so i took the tint back off and i am happy with the way it looks without the tint as the dots look like they line up with the speaker grill dots, they look like they are about the same size dots. But I would like the blue plexi glass window to try that. So if they made the dmd plexi window in more colors then white leds would should work out.

Yeah, I did not like the tinted vinyl piece that came with the DMD. Like you said, it had glare on it, and it also made the LED squares more obvious as it sort of formed impressions around them...that's why I asked Pinbits to make me a blue plexi window. Email them - I'm pretty sure they'll make them for anyone who wants them.

#23 8 years ago

I just put mine in CV and it looks good. Yes, the grid lines show up with full DMD graphics, but animations look fine (and the scoring screens)

867_1040.JPG 867_1051.JPG DMD4.JPG

#24 8 years ago

Wow, green looks rad on CV! Thanks for the pix, Max! I was thinking purple....but now I'm leaning green.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I did not like the tinted vinyl piece that came with the DMD. Like you said, it had glare on it, and it also made the LED squares more obvious as it sort of formed impressions around them...that's why I asked Pinbits to make me a blue plexi window. Email them - I'm pretty sure they'll make them for anyone who wants them.

I did email them I have not heard back yet, so I hope I can get a blue one made also.
    Thanks

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I just put mine in CV and it looks good. Yes, the grid lines show up with full DMD graphics, but animations look fine (and the scoring screens)

Is this a green or the yellow/green as I am going to get one for my CV.

#27 8 years ago

If they were white with filters and under $200, I would probably buy them for every machine I get.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

Is this a green or the yellow/green as I am going to get one for my CV.

This is the yellow-green.....I thought it had more of a slime green color to it and would match the CV theme better than the true green

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This is the yellow-green.....I thought it had more of a slime green color to it and would match the CV theme better than the true green

Did you instell the tint on it or did you leave it off?

#30 8 years ago

Here are pics of Avatar with and without the blue plexi window.

Without
    No_Filter2.jpg

Side-by-side
    Comparison.jpg

With
    Filter2.jpg

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, that looks so much better then the tint. Thanks for the pictures.

#32 8 years ago

Here's a video of CV with the Xpin DMD installed. It actually looks better than the still pictures. Keep in mind also I had the camera close up, so standing back will also look better (as will having the glass on will make it look a bit different too)

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Without

Side-by-side

With

So basically the display comes with a filter that is supposed to cover up the dots that are not lit a bit?

In these pictures you have the display without the filter and also with the blue plastic display cover? The blue cover is doing the same job that the filter originally would?

No pics of the filter vs the plastic cover?

I'm sure this would be a situation where a picture may have a hard time capturing a good representation of the actual look.

I'm hoping to get one of these (blue) for my X-Men LE Wolverine. I think I would probably ask Pinbits for a blue cover to try it out.

Since this is already a slightly off topic post I will add that I would also love the white display with the option to buy different filter or cover colors. That would seem like a win for everyone if that would be possible.

#34 8 years ago

More on topic. I am very interested in a blue X-Pin LED display for my X-Men. I have voted that in the poll.

#35 8 years ago

I'll have the blue filters from Pinbits available at PPE, hopefully along with the blue DMDs to go with them.

I'm sure Martin will have them on his site soon enough, seems like a great add on for the blue DMD.

I'm also hoping to have more blue ready to ship next week. All other colors are available now from my site.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

#36 8 years ago

Rob, I don't see the yellow/green led display on your web site, can you get them or do i need to order from x-pin?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

If they were white with filters and under $200, I would probably buy them for every machine I get.

They won't be under $200. The technology doesn't come that cheap.

#38 8 years ago

Nope, anything X-Pin makes I have available. The yellow/green just didn't make it on my site. When I put the page together I didn't have any available yet, and four photos laid out the way I did looked better than five. I suppose including the orange and yellow/green would keep things symmetrical. I'll get that updated, until I do just email me or order the green and put in the notes, it's the yellow/green you want.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

No pics of the filter vs the plastic cover?

Sorry, I threw out the filter before taking pics...but the instructions said to put it directly on the display. This didn't look good because it made creases/indentations in the filter, and made the LED squares even more obvious. It's also shiny and glarey which didn't help.

#40 8 years ago

Id like to see a blue on a SW

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry, I threw out the filter before taking pics...but the instructions said to put it directly on the display. This didn't look good because it made creases/indentations in the filter, and made the LED squares even more obvious. It's also shiny and glarey which didn't help.

I just took my X-Men LED display apart the other night. It had a lot more layers than I was expecting. Clear cover, red filter (I'm guessing to do the same job that the included filter does on the X-Pin displays), then a thin black bezel and finally the LED display. I was adding a Pinball Pal glare filter and didn't really know where I should put it. I ended up and stuck it between the bezel and the actual LED display.

All this talk of using the colored plexi glass had me wondering how the X-Men display would look if I ditched the filter and went with red plexi from Pinbits. I wondered, but not enough to order or pull the one from my Spidey. I'm hoping to get a blue X-Pin display in it anyway....so I will just let it ride as is for now.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

They won't be under $200. The technology doesn't come that cheap.

I am sure it does not, that's why I said IF If they were, it would be worth the upgrade, I could chose the color, even mix the filters to create colors. That would be cool, but at $270 each, that would cost me $2400 to do every machine I currently have, that's a "B" title I could add to the collection. Hopefully as with all technology, the more they sell the cheaper it becomes. Gotta have dreams

4 weeks later
    #43 8 years ago

Bump! Are the blue DMD's available anywhere? Seems like they are out of stock everytime I look.

#44 8 years ago

Did you check their distributors?

3 weeks later
    #45 8 years ago

Purple would look good on STTNG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.95
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 170.96
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    € 22.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 55.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    MUNSTERS TOPPER Out of stock
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside