(Topic ID: 24515)

XPin DMDs and Grid Lines

By XPinPinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cftbl.JPG
    IMG_2336.jpg
    TronLE-BlueDMD.JPG
    The_Matrix.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 11 years ago

I have always believed that information is important so people can hopefully understand the what goes on behind the scenes in the development of certain aspects of a product. The grid in LED DMD displays is one that when it is understood, it will make sense as to why it exists and at the current state of technology, why it will continue to exist, until the technology is available to remove it. I have attached a file to this posting, it is a PDF. It helps illustrate why the grid exists.

Brett

#2 11 years ago

There's some grid lines in mine I just got installed yesterday but at the end of the day the new look is worth the trade-off (IMO).

TronLE-BlueDMD.JPGTronLE-BlueDMD.JPG

#3 11 years ago

That picture looks AWESOME. Do you mind if I post it in my Gallery on my webpage?

Brett

#4 11 years ago

Go for it.

#6 11 years ago

That really does look great Justin. Glad they arrived yesterday for you.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

That really does look great Justin. Glad they arrived yesterday for you.

Thanks buddy! I was practically stalking the mail man!!

NICE!!!

#8 11 years ago

I think the grid look is not an issue. Everyone loves my blue tron display.

#9 11 years ago

Wow, that blue display looks really sweet in Tron. Thanks for posting pics. I liked the green display in the CV thread as well. I personally don't think the grid is that bad.

Jeff R.

#10 11 years ago

Is this the same type of display that's in my ACDC? I see grid lines, but it does not bother me like I thought it would from pics

#11 11 years ago

Sweet blue display in your Tron!
    Boy Tron just begs for mods and looks good doing it!

#12 11 years ago

hey Fattrain, nice mods, I see you have most all of them installed. But why did you leave the Flynn scoop sign intact instead of swapping it out for the new recognizer/space paranoids one that comes with the Flynn mod? Otherwise, you end up with double Flynn signs (which is what you have now). Otherwise, brilliant effort!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

Is this the same type of display that's in my ACDC? I see grid lines, but it does not bother me like I thought it would from pics

Yes, same block layout (8x8), different manufacturer.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#14 11 years ago

These look great and reasonably priced, I have the stern RED LED DMD in all my games and nobody notices the grid lines, except those anally challenged, No comparison to the old gas displays once they are installed, much brighter, Crisp, they really pop.

1 week later
    #15 11 years ago

Actually the displays Stern include with their latest games don't look that bad. From what I can see it's less of a spacing issue and more of an alignment issue. I couldn't tell there were blocks other than seeing the misaligned modules on the left side.

IMG_2336.jpgIMG_2336.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Ahh, the blue dmd appears to be out of stock at xpin. Anyone know if anymore will be available in the near future?

#17 11 years ago

Check their distributors. X-Pin carries very little stock directly. I recommend K's Arcade. Professional packing and fast shipping.

#18 11 years ago

CFTBL

cftbl.JPGcftbl.JPG

Love the green...

#19 11 years ago

Oh, by the way... Pinball Classics is LIGHTNING fast with shipping. I didn't even have time to start obsessing about when my order was coming...

1 week later
    #20 11 years ago

It does not have to exist. It is only there if you use a cheaper block of LED or the way you buy parts and create it.

example:

Vishay LEE-128G032-1
    does not have the grid lines. But the vishay will cost more.

#21 11 years ago

X-pin, you need to get some stock out there
    I see your product, I like the look of it, but it never seems to be in stock anywhere

eventually I will stop looking and stick with what is in my games now

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin-dmds-and-grid-lines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.