• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160512_231904_resized_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

looking to make my display on tron a bit better. thinking xpin white. saw some complaints about lines. I'm not gonna want that if thats the case. any thoughts? I also want it as plug and play as possible

#2 7 years ago

Any reason why you wouldn't go ColorDMD?

#3 7 years ago

Tron display should be blue xpin. Mine is older and has the line issue. Look into it. I'm sure XPin's new displays have made the lines unnoticeable

#4 7 years ago

Get ColorDMD....Xpin is a non-issue for Tron at this point. Why go monochrome with LED gridlines when you can go full color?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

$$$$

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Tron display should be blue xpin. Mine is older and has the line issue. Look into it. I'm sure XPin's new displays have made the lines unnoticeable

I will give them a call. dont they come with gels if you order white?

#7 7 years ago

XP-DMD4096HV Xpin white display Ships with Grey, Red, Green & Blue Vinyl Gels $299

ColorDMD $399.
Sell your old DMD if it still is working 100% $75-$100. Now ColorDMD will cost you about the same as the Xpin plus you will get the full color and the ability to swap between games

#8 7 years ago

Once you go color, you don't want to go back.

#9 7 years ago

My Tron has a white xpin with a blue filter over it. It looks great. I think it looks better than the ColorDMD because it has better contrast and is brighter. You are close by, come and take a look if you want.

#10 7 years ago

Yet, you're kinda wasting your money going from monochrome to monochrome.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get ColorDMD....Xpin is a non-issue for Tron at this point. Why go monochrome with LED gridlines when you can go full color?

In my opinion LCD doesn't pop like LED. If you want color, i'd wait for one of the nifty RGB LED displays to be ready. That tech is going to look better than backlit LCD display like used in ColorDMD.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My Tron has a white xpin with a blue filter over it. It looks great. I think it looks better than the ColorDMD because it has better contrast and is brighter. You are close by, come and take a look if you want.

thanks Ben. I appreciate the offer to swing by but I trust your opinion based on my experience with you so far. Do you see these grid lines referenced here?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yet, you're kinda wasting your money going from monochrome to monochrome.

I'd be wasting even more money to buy a color dmd and then set it to what i want... white or blue.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My Tron has a white xpin with a blue filter over it. It looks great. I think it looks better than the ColorDMD because it has better contrast and is brighter.

I don't understand why people like their displays really bright ? All that does is cause a bad reflection on the glass.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

thanks Ben. I appreciate the offer to swing by but I trust your opinion based on my experience with you so far. Do you see these grid lines referenced here?

To my eye it is similar to the stock Stern red LED displays. These are made up of a bunch of 8x8 LED units that were assembled to make a larger display. Thus when a high fraction of the LEDs are lit you can see subtle spacing differences that make it clear these displays are made of separate units. In Tron most of the animations don't have a bright background so it isn't really visible during most situations in this game.

Quoted from barakandl:

In my opinion LCD doesn't pop like LED. If you want color, i'd wait for one of the nifty RGB LED displays to be ready. That tech is going to look better than backlit LCD display like used in ColorDMD.

I would agree with this. Much better contrast on an LED display. For games when the animations have a lot of one color on top of another background color this isn't a huge issue. But in Tron the background is usually black, so it makes a bigger differences. I am thinking of giving the ColorDMD another try in this game after they release there LED color display.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I'd be wasting even more money to buy a color dmd and then set it to what i want... white or blue.

Whatever floats your boat.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I don't understand why people like their displays really bright ? All that does is cause a bad reflection on the glass.

the existing one is causing bad reflection so I ordered some of those filter things from comet today. kinda what made me post this thread. I dont want to waste one on the old display if I am going to get a new one. they're only 15 bucks not a huge deal either way

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I agree that it is possible to make the display too bright. I've seen the blue Xpin without a filter and that starts to be too bright for my tastes. The problem with the LCD is the black areas are still backlit which gets worse when viewing the display from an angle. In the LED display black is black, which makes a huge difference on Tron. There are other ways of managing the reflection on the glass which can be a problem on any display.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Whatever floats your boat.

I'll take "aren't there any other threads rarehero could be be participating on" for 200 please Alex....

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I'll take "aren't there any other threads rarehero could be be participating on" for 200 please Alex....

You asked for opinions. So fuck me for posting one.

#21 7 years ago

I had a blue xpin in my Tron LE and sold it for a colorDMD. I am glad I did.

#22 7 years ago

I love Xpins but more for there 6/7 digit and alphanumeric displays. ColorDMD is the way to go for DMDs and if you're really into LEDs wait for the new displays.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You asked for opinions. So fuck me for posting one.

I asked for opinions on xpin because I want a white or blue display. When you give your opinion, I accept it. When you ask a question and I answer it, feel free to do the same. If you choose to compose a "whatever floats your boat" response then these types of things will happen. No hard feelings and I appreciate your insight.

RB

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

when is this niftyness hitting the market and how plug and play will it be? I saw a thread somewhere where it looked like a lot of monkeying around. Thanks for the info Andrew.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

when is this niftyness hitting the market and how plug and play will it be? I saw a thread somewhere where it looked like a lot of monkeying around. Thanks for the info Andrew.

I am not really sure. I saw a thread in the tech forum i think where guys where working on it. I assume something is right around the corner, but i haven't kept my finger on the pulse.

I have seen similar color LED display signs used in other places. I think they will work out great once someone puts them together.

#26 7 years ago

Yes, a LED ColorDMD is around the corner. It looked really good in person. Though, you will not get the HiRes option on this display as you would with the LCD version from ColorDMD. Both are plug and play.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-previews-new-led-displays

#27 7 years ago

Guys it's tron. Did you see movie? It's as close to monochrome as you can get. Blacks and streaks of a single color. Mostly blue. I've seen the color and its doesn't look good in my opinion. Half of roygbiv isn't even in the movie.

#28 7 years ago

I assume the LED will be same plug and play as the LCD. For the older Williams games I think the LED is gonna be a great option. I don't think the upscaling looks as good in the those because the dots don't have as many shades as the newer Sterns. For games like Tron though, LCD is the way to go and you can set it to color, monochrome with varying colors, hires, dotsxl, so many options.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Guys it's tron. Did you see movie? It's as close to monochrome as you can get. Blacks and streaks of a single color. Mostly blue. I've seen the color and its doesn't look good in my opinion. Half of roygbiv isn't even in the movie.

It's one of the more subtle ColorDMDs...it won't blow your mind with cartoony colorfulness like others...but the color is very well done, especially with all the text color coded to the inserts (ex. Quorra/green, Zeus/white, Clu/Yellow, Gem/Teal, Disc/Blue). Having the timer bars color coded as well helps tremendously.

#30 7 years ago

The Xpin Blue DMD is awesome in a tron it's what i have in mine. Make sure you get the blue filter cover makes it look awesome. Color DMD is what i'm going to next for my tron.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's one of the more subtle ColorDMDs...it won't blow your mind with cartoony colorfulness like others...but the color is very well done, especially with all the text color coded to the inserts (ex. Quorra/green, Zeus/white, Clu/Yellow, Gem/Teal, Disc/Blue). Having the timer bars color coded as well helps tremendously.

Have to agree with this. The colorization of the colorDMD version brings out the scenes better and as RareHero said the timed bars are colored (I never really noticed them before the colorDMD

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

thats good info. especially the cartoony reference. thats not something I am interested in and you pretty much nailed it. in fact I put the under cabinet kit on last night and hooked up all the colors. green doesnt really work well for this game so I am gonna disconnect that

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

thats good info. especially the cartoony reference. thats not something I am interested in and you pretty much nailed it. in fact I put the under cabinet kit on last night and hooked up all the colors. green doesnt really work well for this game so I am gonna disconnect that

Quorra is green. If you have the LE or Eli kit, the ramps light up green. So - her mode text being green on the ColorDMD matches perfectly.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Quoted from rcbrown316:

they're only 15 bucks not a huge deal either way

........... ..........Joey

#35 7 years ago

I like both products and I do understand the cost factor. It would be more reasonable if xpin displays were around the 200 mark and colorDMD around $299.00 but I'm dreaming.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

The Xpin Blue DMD is awesome in a tron it's what i have in mine. Make sure you get the blue filter cover makes it look awesome. Color DMD is what i'm going to next for my tron.

sell the op your x pin display then

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

looking to make my display on tron a bit better. thinking xpin white. saw some complaints about lines. I'm not gonna want that if thats the case. any thoughts? I also want it as plug and play as possible

I have a slime green XPin in my Avatar (used to be in Cirqus Voltaire).... I actually like the look of them and they really pop with the graphics (lines are not very noticeable). I also have a colorDMD in my Tron with the color ROM ... honestly you can't really tell that its in color when playing it as everything is shades of blue. If you don't want to spend a ton of cash, go Xpin and sell the DMD ... cheaper way to make it look way better

#38 7 years ago

wacky double post issue

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Quorra is green. If you have the LE or Eli kit, the ramps light up green. So - her mode text being green on the ColorDMD matches perfectly.

yep i got the ramps. I think i need to find a quora flasher. there were no green flashers so I tied the green lead to the yellow one on the lower left ramp. Probably need to monkey around with them a bit

#40 7 years ago

Here was my blue xpin display before I went to color display, it has the blue plastic window in it.
Make me a offer.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#41 7 years ago

this doesnt look good at all. you can clearly see the grid lines you guys were talking about. I'd rather have orange plasma than that

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

this doesnt look good at all. you can clearly see the grid lines you guys were talking about. I'd rather have orange plasma than that
» YouTube video

You need the blue filter with the blue dmd otherwise it looks like crap.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

don't understand why people like their displays really bright ? All that does is cause a bad reflection on the glass

Does invisiglass fix that?

Quoted from thepinballworks:Here was my blue xpin display

Is there a adjustment for brightness?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

You need the blue filter with the blue dmd otherwise it looks like crap.

thanks man. Looks like a no go as that combo is way too blue for my tastes. I put the speaker lights in last night and there are 3 or 4 settings that look fantastic with the translite.

20160512_231904_resized_(resized).jpg20160512_231904_resized_(resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

» YouTube video

But the game is all about the grid!

#46 7 years ago

I'm very happy with my blue Xpin in my STTNG. I didn't go w/the Color DMD as I was afraid of resets based on what I read when it was first launched....I have a lot of lit mods. I'm happy with the look. The grid lines don't bother me at all.

I have color DMDs in my TOM an TZ.

#47 7 years ago

Orange plasma looks pretty nice on Tron . If I weren't a ColorDMD whore, I'd be fine with the orange back in my Tron.

I currently have a lime-green Xpin in my Cirqus Voltaire, but that's gone as soon as they release the ColorLED screen for it. I used to have a blue X-Pin in my Avatar. I hated the gridlines, but it was friggin' Avatar, it's gotta be blue!

1 week later
#48 7 years ago

"luckily" my display on dirty harry blew out friday night so I had to order a new display. looks like its color dmd for tron Rarehero

#49 7 years ago

Anyone put an xpin in medusa? What colour did you use?

#50 7 years ago

I would try a PinballSP or Fast color LED kit. Much cheaper. Full color two part display. No gridlines.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 49.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
12,400 (OBO)
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin-dmd-yay-or-nay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.