(Topic ID: 254175)

XPin Display Backbox Light Bleed...and these grey sticker, things...

By jimgravina

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by osis253
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1236 (resized).jpg
04 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Original plasma alpha-numeric display started outgassing so I recently got and installed an XPin display. Everything is working great but I had a few questions...

I noticed the LED modules are much closer to the circuit board than the original plasma display and don't reach out to the backglass as far. This causes a lot of the backbox light to bleed into the display. It DOES have the foam gaskets around the modules, but at least for my machine, the foam padding needs to be at least twice as wide to really black the light...(see pics)

Is this common and if so, what are people doing to help this? Just adding more foam? Other ideas?

Also, it came with 2 grey rectangular stickers that I assume stick on to the LED modules, im just not exactly sure that this is for? See pics.

Thanks!
Jim

04 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpgIMG_1236 (resized).jpgIMG_1236 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

The stickers make the displays look more like the originals so you can't see unlit segments. They stick over the displays.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The stickers make the displays look more like the originals so you can't see unlit segments. They stick over the displays.

Yeah that’s kinda what I thought and ended up figuring that out. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

I installed one of these over the weekend in an older Bally game, and ended up just sliding it slightly forward in the metal track that it fits in so that it's closer to the back glass. I don't know if that would work in your machine or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin-display-backbox-light-bleedand-these-grey-sticker-things?hl=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.