8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

XP-BLYFF_Beauty_1_1.jpg
    XP-BLYFF_Product_1_1.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

XPin™ has a 2nd new product announcement: The XP-BLYFF

With the help of Sean Palmer, a new solution is available to remove the annoying flicker that occurs when LED lamps are installed in the feature lamps of your classic Bally and Stern games. Not to take away from the existing solutions out there, but this simple solution is a breeze to install as can be seen in this YouTube video, which is also posted on the XPin website.

For those of you not wanting to replace a working OEM lamp driver board, or solder together a similar kit, and are looking for a quick and easy way to eliminate the LED flicker, here is your solution!

Here is the product page link: http://www.xpinpinball.com/shop/product/xp-blyff

// Error: Image 421970 not found //// Error: Image 421969 not found //

#2 8 years ago

XP-BLYFF_Product 1.jpgXP-BLYFF_Product 1.jpgXP-BLYFF_Beauty 1.jpgXP-BLYFF_Beauty 1.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Nice! The bally lamp driver board is usually the last board replaced if ever, this comes in at half the price of the Alltek board!

#4 8 years ago

Like they always say, imitation is the best form of flattery.
    Been selling these myself for about a year now.

#5 8 years ago

I just bought one of these not too long ago.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

What makes XPin's version different than that one?

#6 8 years ago

I would like to hear what makes XPin's version different to the Seigecraft one too ?

#7 8 years ago

I believe it is the fact that with the siegecraft one it is a DIY kit where you have to wire and solder it. Xpin's is an easy plug and play system with no annoying wiring or soldering involved.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I believe it is the fact that with the siegecraft one it is a DIY kit where you have to wire and solder it. Xpin's is an easy plug and play system with no annoying wiring or soldering involved.

seigecraft offer both options. Is there any different features in the completed versions?

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

seigecraft offer both options. Is there any different features in the completed versions?

Do you have a link for the kit where you don't need to make your own harness? I couldn't find it on the website?

#10 8 years ago

oh i see you mean the little cable that gets customised to the machine. Apologies I thought you meant soldering the actual pcb.
    It is a valid difference I agree. I have to wonder are there many people that like to work on pins but would find either way annoying? I guess it takes all types. Your point is valid indeed about the cable design being different.

#11 8 years ago

There's no soldering. Just some crimping, which doesn't seem like a big difference to me. Wires are wires. I was mainly interested to hear what was different about the boards themselves.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Will this work on Space Shuttle?

No, it it designed for classic Bally/Stern lamp boards, not Williams boards.

#14 8 years ago

I would want a set of these for my Elektra. The flickering of the LED's really annoys me. Hopefully it works on an Elektra.

#15 8 years ago

XPin does have a "Williams" version coming out soon.....

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Will this work on Space Shuttle?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

I have to wonder are there many people that like to work on pins but would find either way annoying?

-

Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's no soldering. Just some crimping, which doesn't seem like a big difference to me. Wires are wires.

Nobody works on Classic Bally games without crimping a shitton (that's a metric unit of measurement), of connectors.

#17 8 years ago

I would want a set of these for my Elektra. The flickering of the LED's really annoys me. Hopefully it works on an Elektra.

Yes it will work on Elektra.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

I would like to hear what makes XPin's version different to the Seigecraft one too ?

Ours is one version fits all rather than separate versions for Bally and Stern.

1 month later
    #19 8 years ago

Huh, must have missed this post But I did see mention somewhere of the collaboration and think it's cool to see a few options for flicker free Ballys. I'm also looking forward to the Bally-specific led bulbs being worked on that would be yet another alternative if you have an original LDB.

IMO nothing imitated here.. nor should it be locked down to one manufacturer since the design was public knowledge. If anything imitation came from all the people that originally suggested the parallel resistor fix on RGP, Pinside, the people that perf-boarded similar in-line boards (plug-and-play headers). That's after all where the ideas for the professional boards originated. It's like the nvram.. and believe me, been there in all of that discussion back in 2012 when there were only a few people selling nvram and.. well some of you know how that went. Now look at nvram, no one cares who sells what because enough people have dabbled in it.

I might still do my own version of these sometime, as I said in the thread on Pinside way back. I'm still surprised there's that much of a market instead of just buying a brand new $100 Alltek board and selling the old one for $40.. but some people can't be bothered with selling on eBay or forums.. or see it as why spend $100.

Anyway.. good luck with these Brett! Nice to see some choices out there for flicker-free Bally/Stern LEDs!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I'm still surprised there's that much of a market instead of just buying a brand new $100 Alltek board and selling the old one for $40.. but some people can't be bothered with selling on eBay or forums.. or see it as why spend $100.

Some like to keep the original boards in the game. These add-on boards are an easily-reversible mod.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some like to keep the original boards in the game. These add-on boards are an easily-reversible mod.

Makes sense. Probably a cross of keeping original boards and "$45-50 is cheaper than $100"

Brett -- may be good to add a little bit to the post title, just having the model number of the board doesn't really draw much attention.

#22 8 years ago

Would this work in a Bally Baby-Pacman? I have some wonky flickering with the LED's but I wonder if that is just the connection on the inserts themselves. hmmm.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Would this work in a Bally Baby-Pacman?

I haven't actually noticed a flicker issue in my Baby Pacman. A previous owner added LEDs to it, though I'm not sure what kind they used off-hand. Have you tried adding LEDs in your game yet, or are you asking about compatibility in advance of doing so?

#24 8 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but is this different than the LED OCD board? I am going to put LED's in my TZ and saw what the OCD board did for it. Is this the same thing?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

This is probably a dumb question, but is this different than the LED OCD board? I am going to put LED's in my TZ and saw what the OCD board did for it. Is this the same thing?

Yes it's different. The OCD board is for the newer machines & allows tweaking of various things. These boards are just for the classic Bally/Stern games of the late 70s and early 80s -- and just meant to stop flickering that occurs because there's not enough current draw on the led bulbs (much less than the original bulbs) and that causes issues on the driving circuitry because it's not enough load for it to fully turn on/off the led bulb. These boards add a parallel resistor in-line with the lamp sockets to add some additional load to prevent the flicker. No control of anything else, just stops/reduces flickering.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Yes it's different. The OCD board is for the newer machines & allows tweaking of various things. These boards are just for the classic Bally/Stern games of the late 70s and early 80s -- and just meant to stop flickering that occurs because there's not enough current draw on the led bulbs (much less than the original bulbs) and that causes issues on the driving circuitry because it's not enough load for it to fully turn on/off the led bulb. These boards add a parallel resistor in-line with the lamp sockets to add some additional load to prevent the flicker. No control of anything else, just stops/reduces flickering.

Super explaination!

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't actually noticed a flicker issue in my Baby Pacman. A previous owner added LEDs to it, though I'm not sure what kind they used off-hand. Have you tried adding LEDs in your game yet, or are you asking about compatibility in advance of doing so?

It was already LED'ed. Very good chance they are cheap LED's. Time to open up my overflow reserve of LED's swap em out and find out. However, yes. Curious if it was compatible since Baby Pacman is kinda a freak of nature in comparison to a normal machine.

#28 8 years ago

and here I thought this was going to be an announcement for zaccaria displays.

1 week later
    #29 8 years ago

Has anyone spoke with Brett lately? Trying to contact him regarding an order. Thanks! JR

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Has anyone spoke with Brett lately? Trying to contact him regarding an order. Thanks! JR

Hey JR, call me.

#31 8 years ago

He called me this evening......

Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Has anyone spoke with Brett lately?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin%e2%84%a2-new-product-annoucement-xp-blyff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.