IMG_20130201_202642.jpg
broken.jpg
photo(1).JPG
photo.JPG
DSC_0411.JPG
DSC_0406.JPG
DSC_0405.JPG
DSC_0403.JPG
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

just got done settling on my icicles mod for my XMLE Iceman ramp, and I think it looks pretty sweet! If I was more adept and confident with that kind of thing, I would have liked to run some blue or white EL tape/wire underneath the icicle strips and hooked it up to the GI to light up the icicles, but it looks pretty good the way it is. Very happy with it! Decided to post pics because I've read a lot in the other XM threads about you guys wanting icicles on the Iceman ramp, so here's what it looks like!

DSC_0403.JPGDSC_0403.JPG DSC_0405.JPGDSC_0405.JPG DSC_0406.JPGDSC_0406.JPG DSC_0411.JPGDSC_0411.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Ha! they look cool.

#3 11 years ago

looks good, like it should have always should have been there.

#4 11 years ago

Looks good, better than just the stickers. I really wish the ramp was clear so you could see through it.

-c

#5 11 years ago

Are you selling any sets - if so i would like to be the first to ask

Mk

#6 11 years ago

Very good job. Looks factory.

#7 11 years ago

Awesome! How did you do it?

#9 11 years ago

Not those ones Stevedave. Similar, and I thought about those ones, but the issue is that they're 4-5" long strips, and the sides for the ramp are 17 3/4" long on the left, and 18 1/2", so it might look sloppy to have 4 1/2 strips of icicles crammed together, so I ended up not going that route.

I could be shifty, and make a profit on them by selling them to you guys, but I can't do that to fellow pinsiders, so I'll just spill the beans on them. Easiest mod ever....

My goal when looking for what to use was to find something I could take off later if needed, and something that would be long enough to go on the ramp sides in one piece. As it turns out, after weeks and weeks of scouting eBay and the Internet, I found THE perfect item...

....go on eBay and search "Dept 56 icicles" what you're looking for is the set of 4 18" long mini icicles. Meant to be used for model villages/train sets, these are perfect, and INEXPENSIVE!!!

Once you get em', you'll have to cut off about 1/4" of whichever ones you put on the left side of the ramp. But other than that, I used super sticky double sided craft glue-tape to adhere them to the ramp, and used TWO rows of icicles (staggered for better effect) on each side. It is almost as if Stern had these things in mind when making the ramp, they're frigging perfect.

That's all for now, scurry to eBay and gobble yours up while you can, an inexpensive and great looking mod, with minimal risk and time investment!

Hope this helps, happy modding guys!

#10 11 years ago

That looks sweet, very nice job.

#11 11 years ago

Looks great and factory!

#12 11 years ago

Very nice, just ordered a set for $12 free shipping. Thanks for the tip!

#13 11 years ago

Just ordered a set also. Thanks

#14 11 years ago

Nice job, I like it!

#15 11 years ago

Np guys, just doin' my duty to "pay" the community back. Although eBay sellers are going to be confused as hell as to why these model accessories from the 70's are selling like hotcakes, lol

#16 11 years ago

You are the man! Got my order in from Amazon. $12 with free 2 day Prime shipping. Woo! Thanks again for the tip.

#17 11 years ago

Looks awesome but wont the balls bash the heck out them and break pieces off?

#18 11 years ago

Never had ball get even close to hitting them yet, but I suppose it's possible. If it happens, I'll just buy another set for 12 bucks, no biggie.

#19 11 years ago

Awesome find and awesome mod thanks for sharing it! Big thumbs up!

#20 11 years ago

I put Icicles lights on mine.

#21 11 years ago

Very cool.. I was gonna make some of my own up but this saves me the trouble. Thanks for sharing

PS. there's nothing wrong with selling mods, some of us pay for the hobby that way..

#22 11 years ago

Thank you for sharing i love mods.

#24 11 years ago

I know guys sell mods, I have no prob with that because it's usually something they create and put time into, no qualms there. My issue is that I thought it would be "douchy" if I just bought a bunch of them up, didn't tell anyone where I got them, and then resold them for a profit without doing anything extra with them. I dunno, maybe I'm just an awful entrepeneur and American, lol

#25 11 years ago

Awesome find, I've been looking for a cute way to add some holiday cheer to my Barbie dreamhouse.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

I know guys sell mods, I have no prob with that because it's usually something they create and put time into, no qualms there. My issue is that I thought it would be "douchy" if I just bought a bunch of them up, didn't tell anyone where I got them, and then resold them for a profit without doing anything extra with them. I dunno, maybe I'm just an awful entrepeneur and American, lol

Haha yeah true enough.. There are a lot of guys who do exactly that I'm afraid. I know of a guy who attaches dollar store items to shooter rods and sells them for $60. Lame!

#27 11 years ago

Very cool to post that. I don't even own a XMLE and I bought a set, just in case lol.

Ebay link for a seller that has more than 10 available and they are $6.00 with free shipping too.

ebay.com link: Dept 56 Village Icicles

#28 11 years ago

Cool mod for sure thanks for sharing the info and pics with us much appreciated!

#29 11 years ago

Nice Mod - thanks for sharing

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Very cool to post that. I don't even own a XMLE and I bought a set, just in case lol.

Ebay link for a seller that has more than 10 available and they are $6.00 with free shipping too.

Thanks - I pick up a set too - and i had around $5.00 in ebay bucks so it was a $1.00 mod.

#31 11 years ago

Those are sweet looking.... just ordered mine off eBay for $6.... nice added touch to the ramp.

Thanks.

#32 11 years ago

Doh! I overpayed.

#33 11 years ago

They are sold on amazon with prime shipping also.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Hah! When I posted this link 3 had been sold, now 18 have been sold. Seller should send some beer $$ Rcade's way for posting this mod. Has to be like WTF is up with the run on icicles.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Not those ones Stevedave. Similar, and I thought about those ones, but the issue is that they're 4-5" long strips, and the sides for the ramp are 17 3/4" long on the left, and 18 1/2", so it might look sloppy to have 4 1/2 strips of icicles crammed together, so I ended up not going that route.
I could be shifty, and make a profit on them by selling them to you guys, but I can't do that to fellow pinsiders, so I'll just spill the beans on them. Easiest mod ever....
My goal when looking for what to use was to find something I could take off later if needed, and something that would be long enough to go on the ramp sides in one piece. As it turns out, after weeks and weeks of scouting eBay and the Internet, I found THE perfect item...
....go on eBay and search "Dept 56 icicles" what you're looking for is the set of 4 18" long mini icicles. Meant to be used for model villages/train sets, these are perfect, and INEXPENSIVE!!!
Once you get em', you'll have to cut off about 1/4" of whichever ones you put on the left side of the ramp. But other than that, I used super sticky double sided craft glue-tape to adhere them to the ramp, and used TWO rows of icicles (staggered for better effect) on each side. It is almost as if Stern had these things in mind when making the ramp, they're frigging perfect.
That's all for now, scurry to eBay and gobble yours up while you can, an inexpensive and great looking mod, with minimal risk and time investment!
Hope this helps, happy modding guys!

What kind of tape did you use? Was it the double sided foam stuff (can't see it in your pic, so probably not), or the double sided "Scotch" type tape? Or something else all together? Did you just tape the second set right over the top of the first set? Do you figure it is removable if need be in the future?

Thanks!

#37 11 years ago

I'm not sure the exact brand, bit it's not scotch or foam, it's like glue. It dispences in little squares, I just cut a bunch of them up to size and placed them ever quarter inch or so. And yes, I put more glue tape on the first set to hold the second set, have to have very steady hands though to make sure it lines up correctly. And it is reversible, just pull them off, and rub off any excess glue tape that's still left over...plus it should be covered up and unnoticeable due to the lip on either side of the ramp.

I used the glue tape rather than hot glue or epoxy for the sole reason that I wanted it to be reversible with no cosmetic compromise. Placed the glue tape on the top edge if the first set, so that it adheres to the underside of the ramp lip, then put the glue tape on the back side of the second set, so that it's not noticeable once you stick it to the face of the first set.

Hope this helps!

#39 11 years ago

Damn....all sold out

#40 11 years ago

Ah...some other listers have them. Thanks much!

#41 11 years ago

I bought mine for $6 also from that eBay link, thanks for posting that! Instead I used 1/2" sticky dots from Michael's to attach. Cannot play test until I get my new Aux board from Stern which will ship tomorrow. I did separate a small segment of the icicles near the ball guide on the right inner area. I assume that portion will stay put while the rest moves towards the left during the Iceman mode. The ball rolls fine down the ramp though and does not pose a problem.

He still has 2 left of the village icicles. And they are the perfect length. for the outside of the ramp. The inner ramp will require breaking off a couple icicles to make it a hair shorter.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo(1).JPGphoto(1).JPG

#42 11 years ago

It looks great. Nice mod.

#43 11 years ago

Not sure if I would have done the inside of the ramp LITZ. You will have to let us know how they hold up. They do look very nice in there, but I'd be afraid of them interfering with the ball and getting broken. Hopefully they will work well there for you!

1 week later
#44 11 years ago

buyer beware:
do not order them ebay from adswimguy. this is how mine arrived after he *carefully* packaged them in a medium flat rate box (that he covered the extra money on postage).

now, in order to get a refund, he wants me to return them in the same oversized (but not large enough to accommodate them) box at my expensive. LOL

broken.jpgbroken.jpg

#45 11 years ago

Ah man that sux A$$

3 months later
#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Not sure if I would have done the inside of the ramp LITZ. You will have to let us know how they hold up. They do look very nice in there, but I'd be afraid of them interfering with the ball and getting broken. Hopefully they will work well there for you!

The icicles are holding up fine. I have 4 sticky dots along the inner run and they have not come off yet from the ball.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

The icicles are holding up fine. I have 4 sticky dots along the inner run and they have not come off yet from the ball.

Glad to hear. I am planning on using all 4 strips on icicles on my ramp also. I bought slightly smaller sticky dots (3/8"), but really expected that you had used more than 4.

So I see the terms "trim off" and "break off"...so how did everyone get these down to the right length. Cut with scissors, a utility knife or actually break them off. I was just wondering. I haven't opened my package yet and I wasn't quite sure what the material was like or how easily it would cut.

#48 11 years ago

I just snipped them using a pair of small wire cutters. The 1/2" dots are the ones I use from the 3M privacy film on the DMD. They are clear and you don't notice them on the ice ramp. On the right inner ramp you want to stay clear of the metal flexible ball guide. So that segment will be the shortest of the four.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

I just snipped them using a pair of small wire cutters. The 1/2" dots are the ones I use from the 3M privacy film on the DMD. They are clear and you don't notice them on the ice ramp. On the right inner ramp you want to stay clear of the metal flexible ball guide. So that segment will be the shortest of the four.

Thanks. I was planning on just putting the icicles where the decal is on each surface. So they should be clear of the metal flex piece.

I was really hoping someone from the "white powder coating" thread would put some of these on and see how they look on the white ramp.

#50 11 years ago

I'll try to put mine back on today. The hot glue gun method did not hold up. Thanks for the tip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xmle-iceman-ramp-icicles-mod-done-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.