Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by LITZ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo(3).JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I helped Kerry test and fit these.
    http://www.mantisamusements.com/xmen.htm

#2 11 years ago

I've never used this type of scoop protector before- how do they compare to cliffys? These seem like they might still allow for some slight chipping along the edge?

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from denmark71:

I've never used this type of scoop protector before- how do they compare to cliffys? These seem like they might still allow for some slight chipping along the edge?

I had the same thought. The Cliffy's have the one little issue where it has some lip edge which has some effect on whether or not the ball falls into the scoop as designed, so he sells both a notched version and unnotched version based on customer preference, the notched version allows the ball into the scoop more often.

For the mantis protector Kerry said the lip of the protector is about 1 width of the metal below the wood, so it actually protects the edges fairly well but yes there is still some edge exposure. The main advantage being it has no impact on the ball on the left side of the scoop.

I am thinking that much of the damage is not when the ball drops in, it happens when the ball is shot into the back of the scoop and ricochets back and hits one of the 3 edges, and for that the Mantis protector should help. As many have mentioned a Mantis and hard-as-nails on the edges should solidify the edges well enough.

It's really a matter of preference though. In this particular game, the Cliffy's look nice the way the scoop is painted. I'd say a new game is a perfect candidate for a Mantis, and when there is already edge wear on a game, a Cliffy is perfect to cover it up. I'm going to try the Mantis myself, but certainly can see going either way.

#5 11 years ago

My Tron and Xmen have a few hundred plays on them. No damage to the edge of the holes. Both using Kerry's protectors.
    A little "hard as nails" and the protector and you are good to go.

Both Kerry and Cliffy make great products.

#6 11 years ago

I installed my Cliffy's with the notch a couple of days ago and hardly notice any major impact on ball movement. I also prefer not to use nail polish on my pins if I can avoid it. Gives me headaches

#8 11 years ago

Ordered my Cliffy's today. Can't wait to get them and protect this beautiful machine!

#9 11 years ago

I just installed Kerry's. I love Cliffy's too, but IMO they're more for covering up damage...Kerry's are for preventing damage.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I love Cliffy's too, but IMO they're more for covering up damage

sonofa... they are PROTECTORS! Proactive! sweet Jesus...

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I just installed Kerry's. I love Cliffy's too, but IMO they're more for covering up damage...Kerry's are for preventing damage.

I agree with this on older WMS games where the scoops had a straight edge. However, Sterns seem to have a bevel around the edge and many have reported wear issues on the Tron scoop even with a Kerry on there. It's Cliffy's for me on Tron and XMEN since I don't want to risk it.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

sonofa... they are PROTECTORS! Proactive! sweet Jesus...

Mine came in the mail last week (thank you very much Cliffy) and I'll be installing them this week.

#13 11 years ago

Both are great products. Cant go wrong with either one.

#14 11 years ago

The notched Cliffy works great! And it protects the art around the edge of the scoop. Too bad I did not get a chance to install this protector before the edge started to chip. Nothing against Kerry. I have all of his protectors on my MM.

photo(3).JPGphoto(3).JPG

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

The notched Cliffy works great! And it protects the art around the edge of the scoop. Too bad I did not get a chance to install this protector before the edge started to chip. Nothing against Kerry. I have all of his protectors on my MM.

Wouldn't you have the same issue on MM with the Mantis? The question is "what ball behavior is causing the wear on the black line?"

#16 11 years ago

You can see from my install pics that I have no chipping. I've had a modified Tron mantis protector in from day 1 on my xmen.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Wouldn't you have the same issue on MM with the Mantis? The question is "what ball behavior is causing the wear on the black line?"

For some reason the PF which is also clear coated does not have any wear in front of the Merlin hole using the Mantis protectors. Same thing goes for inside the castle. Perhaps the clear applied by Stern on XM was thin in that area?

http://www.mantisamusements.com/mminstall.htm

I have the full set of Cliffy's on my TZ and his limited edition gold version on TAFG.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xmen-scoop-protectors-available and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.