Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vtec16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

So the ACDC honeymoon is over and xmen got the majority of play this weekend. And I gotstosay, this game is pretty freakin wicked. The shot flow is awesome, the action is great, and the missed shot action is very cool. It does need a proper update to take it to the next level - cant wait to see what they can do with it next. Anyway, I haven't posted in awhile and felt like sharing my thoughts, enjoy your Sunday

#2 11 years ago

Different strokes and all that good stuff.

#3 11 years ago

I was a little wow'd by how much I liked X-men pro this weekend. After owning 2 LE's already The pro model was very fast. I liked it very much.

#4 11 years ago

I can't get into this game. Played it a number of times but it just doesn't do it for me.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cobra:

I can't get into this game. Played it a number of times but it just doesn't do it for me.

agreed. played it for 10 days straight in house..at first i was excited. by the time i left i was thinking the same thing...need new software or something this was with the updated software.

#6 11 years ago

I had ppl over last night and showed em that this pin has flow. It has forced me to increase my skills to get the ball under control especially during multiball. Have to be accurate with all shots or your game is short. Can't wait to install the Beast, Iceman, Magneto flashers and Night Crawler mods from Hemi.

Here is Trailer Tom the maker of the Pin Pin snowboarding / pinball vids rocking his XM Wolverine. It blocks access to the fridge!

#7 11 years ago

Awesome comic theme prettiest game to date and a heck of alot of fun to play.

#8 11 years ago

Great game, And more importantly an Earnings beast! kids and adults alike.

#9 11 years ago

Have just got my new Tron initial impression like XM a slight bit better:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 11 years ago

I poured many dollars into XMen LE at Lanes and Games last weekend in Boston. First time I ever saw it live and I was stoked to play it. I expected to love the game actually. So far I don't care for it much. Of course this could change, as I believe you need to play a machine ALOT to know if its your kind of game. And you must understand the rules....which I don't. I hate it when youre playing a long ball and think tour doing something and them drain to find you scored like a million points. So i know i need to learn the rules. But, SO FAR (this can change) here's what I notice right away:

1) The upper playfield seems like a mess. With the game lighting and the venue lighting (and the needlessly overly massive Wolfie blocking your views) its hard to see the shots clearly and they seem, so far, like they are all on top of each other. I've heard people say that it's like they tried to jam in every possible feature or shot and I agree. It might be too busy.

2) Don't like the LEDs. Maybe the code was older, maybe I didn't qualify things properly, but it seemed overly white. And not a very cool shade of white either (is this the blue white?). I didn't see a whole lot of color variation as in, say ACDC. I don't really like the LEDs in ACDC either, but I appreciate the color changing, and mixing of color around the playfield.

3) Was underwhelmed by the night crawlers. I LOVE the trolls on MM, so I thought I'd need to buy the LE (should I buy one) to get them here. Not so sure now.

4) Good god that Wolverine toy is an abomination. In so many ways. It's been said before, in so many ways, so ill leave it at that. Magneto looks pretty stupid too. Epic FAIL.

5) My ball hit the underside of the Ice ramp while it was moving left to right...and drained DTM! Say what? The ramp touched my freaking ball?! Screw that. Also that it doesn't register right inline (been said), and its not particularly attractive. But I do like the concept quite a bit. But if hitting your ball on the playfield is a design flaw that is unforgivable.

At this pint I've played TFLE, ACDC and XMEN about the same. I know ACDC for me would be the better choice long term, but I've enjoyed TFLE the most of the three so far. They had an ACDC there too, which I also played alot.

Bottom line is I played two other machines alot there too - IM and Tron - and those were by far the most fun.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

Here is Trailer Tom the maker of the Pin Pin snowboarding / pinball vids rocking his XM Wolverine

buuahaha..

ffej unboxin it outside the rick stetta estatessssssssssssss trailer park...pffffft.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

5) My ball hit the underside of the Ice ramp while it was moving left to right...and drained DTM! Say what? The ramp touched my freaking ball?! Screw that.

There is something wrong with that particular game. The ramp is very high up and the ball should NEVER hit it. Something broke on that machine.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

So the ACDC honeymoon is over and xmen got the majority of play this weekend. And I gotstosay, this game is pretty freakin wicked. The shot flow is awesome, the action is great, and the missed shot action is very cool. It does need a proper update to take it to the next level - cant wait to see what they can do with it next. Anyway, I haven't posted in awhile and felt like sharing my thoughts, enjoy your Sunday

Yeah, I've been jamming on my X-Men, too after OD'ing on AC/DC. Still enjoying it, but I really want the code update before I put some more serious jam time on it. I don't know if X-Men has stronger flipper coils than AC/DC, but I find my timing and shot strength feels SO good on X-Men in a way that's just slightly different than my AC/DC and Tron. Could just be one of those "things" where each game has its own feel...perhaps its not an absolute...but it's something I notice - the game just FEELS really good. For instance the Beast loop always jams around super fast, but the left loop on AC/DC probably bounces back into the pops 75% of the time vs. jamming all the way around.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Still enjoying it, but I really want the code update before I put some more serious jam time on it.

For instance the Beast loop always jams around super fast, but the left loop on AC/DC probably bounces back into the pops 75% of the time vs. jamming all the way around.

Love the feel of X-men but the rules need some tweakery for sure.

Think that erks me aboot beast loop is beast loop to ramp bounces out consistantly.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Love the feel of X-men but the rules need some tweakery for sure.
    Think that erks me aboot beast loop is beast loop to ramp bounces out consistantly.

I've pretty much solved this...I put a slightly bigger spacer under the "plastic shield" on the Storm ramp...this gives the ball some more clearance when going up that ramp. The bouncebacks were mostly caused by the ball hitting that sheild...now it doesn't happen. Happy-times in Beast/Storm combo land!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The bouncebacks were mostly caused by the ball hitting that sheild...now it doesn't happen.

Well done! Ebnjoyed the feel of Xmen over ACDC for sure.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I've been jamming on my X-Men, too after OD'ing on AC/DC. Still enjoying it, but I really want the code update before I put some more serious jam time on it. I don't know if X-Men has stronger flipper coils than AC/DC, but I find my timing and shot strength feels SO good on X-Men in a way that's just slightly different than my AC/DC and Tron. Could just be one of those "things" where each game has its own feel...perhaps its not an absolute...but it's something I notice - the game just FEELS really good. For instance the Beast loop always jams around super fast, but the left loop on AC/DC probably bounces back into the pops 75% of the time vs. jamming all the way around.

Agreed about the xmen vs ACDC left loop. Not sure what it is about ACDCs loop but definitely not as strong or flow like xmen. I also feel ACDC is a but clunkier than xmen as far as missed shots go. But the rules are like no other in ACDC. Can't wait for an xmen update.

#18 11 years ago

I was going to post the same thread yesterday. I'm loving my Xmen LE.

I really think this game is destined to be a classic.

I got my new Tron 2D last week. Tron is cool but not as good as Xmen ... And it's early days for Xmen code wise. I think a good code update will knock it out of the park.

I can see where some would find it frustrating as the shots are tight. But I love that!

"Champions conveeeeene!"

Dave.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Tron is cool but not as good as Xmen

One has a proven & probably one of if not best programers in the business.....The other not so much.

I'll bet on the 1st of the 2.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

One has a proven & probably one of if not best programers in the business.....The other not so much.

I'll bet on the 1st of the 2.

To be fair he is not betting on a new release as much as commenting on games he played. Therefore they are what they are to him. Different opinion than most of us but thats what makes it all good.
    Personally I am lucky that I have both and yes, Tron is the winner in my book but man o man Xmen is right behind it. Different and both great games to have today.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

To be fair he is not betting on a new release as much as commenting on games he played. Therefore they are what they are to him. Different opinion than most of us but thats what makes it all good.
    Personally I am lucky that I have both and yes, Tron is the winner in my book but man o man Xmen is right behind it. Different and both great games to have today.

Fair enough....I just dont have much faith in the programers on the project right now. Maybe things change but from a programing stand point the game doesnt even come close to the hype it received.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

buuahaha..
    ffej unboxin it outside the rick stetta estatessssssssssssss trailer park...pffffft.

And your point is....??

#23 11 years ago

I bought a LE and played it for a few days. The game is beautiful but the software sucks. Stern will not finish it I garantee it and since Lyman didn't do it no one will take their own time to finish it like SM. Its gone already

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I bought a LE and played it for a few days. The game is beautiful but the software sucks. Stern will not finish it I garantee it and since Lyman didn't do it no one will take their own time to finish it like SM. Its gone already

Oh dear!!

That's what happened to a few other games too. But those who were patient were rewarded ....

Spider-Man
    Batman DK
    Tron
    Ironman

Dave.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Lots of updates coming on games.

#26 11 years ago

I played XM Pro for the first time at Expo on Friday. Didn't get more than a game on it, but I liked what I saw. Definitely looking forward to spending more time on one in the future.

Although I now know what people were talking about when they said Storm's callouts were lame. Sheesh!

#27 11 years ago

well i did love it then thought mmmmm not sure , then after about 500 games i realised i hate beast voice and lame mode and storm voice sucks and just not enough excitement in it . so i lost faith in the code guys and sold it . getting a twilight zone instead. but i hope for those who still love it that the code update packs a punch

#28 11 years ago

Personally, I like all the voices. That said, what I don't like is the amount of spamming they do with the voices; sometimes the game can't keep up with all the combos and voice spamming. Hope this is fixed in software.

#29 11 years ago

Failing auxililary driver boards, horrible voice clips, and a large number of DIY fixes just to get the game playing the way it should.... These are a few of my favorite things

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not yet played a single game on X-men, but my eyes and ears currently work fine... and my pinball enthusiast heart hopes this game shapes up for those who have taken the plunge on this one.

There is so much almost greatness, countered by terrible lameness. I don't have high hopes, but if this one does pull out of its tailspin that would be welcome!

#30 11 years ago

The hype on the machine hurt it.

7500 post thread-
    Insider saying 10,000 by Christmas
    Speculators buying out the distributors creating sell outs within days
    Borg being the hot designer after IM and Tron
    Custom DMD art not based on a movie
    No Premium
    LE has more differential features compared to Pro model:

Then:

Shipped with initial software that was terrible.
    Aux board problems
    Software Super Pack announced - owners hoping for great things, but with new guys doing it, there is no track record, so it is basically wait and see.

All of these things led to people selling these making the distance from hype versus reality even more pronounced.

Personally, I like the game. It is a very, very fun game. The Pro is also awesome. Too bad the expectations made it impossible to live up to.

#31 11 years ago

I like this game and it is not leaving my collection anytime soon.

It is already a solid game with great shots. Code updates will only make this better IMHO.

Who knows how much by xmas that is just a crazy joke but I do think this machine with the right code update will exceed its initial sale price.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

The hype on the machine hurt it.
    7500 post thread-
    Insider saying 10,000 by Christmas
    Speculators buying out the distributors creating sell outs within days
    Borg being the hot designer after IM and Tron
    Custom DMD art not based on a movie
    No Premium
    LE has more differential features compared to Pro model:
    Then:
    Shipped with initial software that was terrible.
    Aux board problems
    Software Super Pack announced - owners hoping for great things, but with new guys doing it, there is no track record, so it is basically wait and see.
    All of these things led to people selling these making the distance from hype versus reality even more pronounced.
    Personally, I like the game. It is a very, very fun game. The Pro is also awesome. Too bad the expectations made it impossible to live up to.

Don't forget the voice calls done by Marvel Talent.
    I think the game could be great but needs some code work. The shots are tight at spots but the flow is good. Hope they can really improve on the game. Glad I traded mine as it lost it's magic after a few weeks.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Oh dear!!
    That's what happened to a few other games too. But those who were patient were rewarded ....
    Spider-Man
    Batman DK
    Tron
    Ironman
    Dave.

True Dave but the one thing in common with those 4 games is Lyman Sheets. His track record speaks for itself. Unfortunately, he is not doing the software on X-Men.

I am being patient to get my update for TFs which is promised as a Christmas present. Although Lyman didn't do that game either.

#34 11 years ago

love x-man but acdc bible still rocks the most for me of the two

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I put a slightly bigger spacer under the "plastic shield" on the Storm ramp...this gives the ball some more clearance when going up that ramp.

Going to have to try that. It doesn't happen too often one mine, or I am just not making the shot enough, for me to have to mess with it. But an easy fix is a worthwhile one any day.

#36 11 years ago

yes marvel voice talent , and marvel pinball for the consoles particularly wolverine pinball is awesome voices . but stern did not get the best out of them . i thought that the modes would be like something out of the cartoon series with action , but they all seem separate and not cohesive for the theme . i would have prefered sound bytes from wolverine and xmen and jackpot callouts .also i just don't see how they can turn it around as it needs to be redone from the ground up .
    i just got sick of waiting for my hopes to be left in the cold .

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

True Dave but the one thing in common with those 4 games is Lyman Sheets. His track record speaks for itself. Unfortunately, he is not doing the software on X-Men.
    I am being patient to get my update for TFs which is promised as a Christmas present. Although Lyman didn't do that game either.

It was reported here on Pinside that Lyman was "assisting" with the code update.

I can't see it being a big job for Lyman to "oversee" the new guys and make a few suggestions along the way.

"hey, it'd be cool if X did Y .... and A did B"

Obviously the new guys (and Lonnie) know how to write the code OK. They may just want a little input to take it to the next level.

Dave

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Oh dear!!
    Spider-Man
    Batman DK
    Tron
    Ironman
    Dave.

Still patiently waiting for the WOF updates. ... Crickets. I would absolutely be skeptical regarding future updates for any unfinished games.

#39 11 years ago

You may be but we are getting cool updates I the meantime.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Duff:

Still patiently waiting for the WOF updates. ... Crickets. I would absolutely be skeptical regarding future updates for any unfinished games.

Not likely since the programmer doesn't work at Stern anymore. The other games' programmers are there and can do updates.

#41 11 years ago

I am very happy with my x-men pro purchase, this game is so much FUN. Have had some friends over to play it as well and they agree it is a fantastic game.
    This game compliments my IM perfectly.
    I also like the voices but it is the gameplay that has me pushing the start button again and again and again. The artwork is stunning, the audio and custom dots are top notch too and round the game off nicely.
    Top effort from Borg and the team, I am looking forward to the code update big time!

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

love x-man but acdc bible still rocks the most for me of the two

docscott your back, I havent heard from you in a while. Hows everything going?

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Duff:

Still patiently waiting for the WOF updates. ... Crickets.

Gary said it is not going to happen. Keith is at JJP now. Transformers and X-men were announced as happening, so I have no reason to doubt them.

#44 11 years ago

Well, X-Men just needs a little more tweaking and for all you guys that are purchasing my lighting mods here is latest video of both NC and a new location for the Black Bird.

X-Men is going to be over the top....

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from HemiOrange09:

Well, X-Men just needs a little more tweaking and for all you guys that are purchasing my lighting mods here is latest video of both NC and a new location for the Black Bird.
    X-Men is going to be over the top....
    » YouTube video

This looks so much better - really great mod

#46 11 years ago

i love the xmen pro ! as do my customers at my shop ! i agree needs a new update

#47 11 years ago

I have played tons of games on x-men pro at a friends house and other spots. I absolutely love the game and it will only improve with software updates. I think Stern is the only who can say when/if a pin will get a software update.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xmen-is-pretty-damn-cool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.