New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 220305)

xenon wont start a game

By whizz

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by whizz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

My xenon will not start a game.It has a new mpu,solenoid driver,power supply.All voltages appear to be correct.Both balls are in the trough.All self tests function properly but occasionly #21 switch failure comes up.Switch looks good and is gapped properly.I have tried other Lamp Drivers.Main and Aux.Sound seems to be good.Even before switch failure came up it would not start a game.All pins look good.

#2 2 years ago

How many credits do you have showing?

#3 2 years ago

25,the coin switches will add credits but the start button doesn't remove any

#4 2 years ago

I forgot to mention it does boot up.

#5 2 years ago

Use the button on the MPU or the coin door button to get to switch test mode.

Does the start button register? Does both ball trough switches register? note that it only shows you the lowest switch number closed... so open all the switches... ie raise drop targets.

#6 2 years ago

I just powered the machine up again.7 flashes -everything reset but would not start a game.I turned power off and back on and it booted again.I pushed the self test button and lamp test worked.pushed again and all displays counted properly but top right pop bumper picked up several times during this test.It had not done this before.All solenoids pulled in and dropped out in correct order.Sound worked but was scratchy.switch test shows #21 which my schematic shows to be drop target #4 .Switch looks good,diode tests good.

#7 2 years ago

The start button does nothing after it boots.In self test I can use the start button to change high score etc

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

I just powered the machine up again.7 flashes -everything reset but would not start a game.I turned power off and back on and it booted again.I pushed the self test button and lamp test worked.pushed again and all displays counted properly but top right pop bumper picked up several times during this test.It had not done this before.All solenoids pulled in and dropped out in correct order.Sound worked but was scratchy.switch test shows #21 which my schematic shows to be drop target #4 .Switch looks good,diode tests good.

in test mode the CPU will fire the pop bumper solenoids when the switch gets closed in most games and I think this includes Xenon, so the CPU is thinking that switch is getting closed. The pop bumper will probably have a capacitor across the switch on the playfield. You can snip one leg loose and see if that fixes the pop bumper firing. The caps go bad and can cause that problem.

To help isolate issue to the PF or MPU try to unplug the PF connector while in switch test and see if the stuck switch clears. MPU J2, top right. You can also try unplugging the cabinet switches, J3 to see if that makes the PF switches behave.

Quoted from whizz:

The start button does nothing after it boots.In self test I can use the start button to change high score etc

The CPU must not be seeing the balls in the trough then. Since this is a multiball game it checks to make sure both ball trough switches are closed before it starts a game.

#9 2 years ago

Could be the microswitch under the apron messing up. Have something similar happening on my Xenon since the actuator is missing, doesn't put a ball in the shooter lane when the credit button is pressed. Though sometimes it would randomly work.

Microswitch in ball trough causing problems:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/80s-bally-ball-delivery-area-switch-xenon#post-1114514

Disconnecting microswitch under apron for ball trough may have no ill-effect?:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-xenon-bally-1980-1985#post-2971192

When you hit the start button, does the game go out of attract mode? Player 1 display showing "00" for the score & it's just not putting the ball into the shooter lane? Or is it still cycling scores in attract mode?

#10 2 years ago

I snipped one leg of cap no change.The micro switch meters out good.Both trough switches advance balls in self test.As long as drop target #2 is up I get zero switch problems.

#11 2 years ago

For switch test: with both balls removed and all drop targets UP the display should read "0"

Drop one ball in outhole it will read "8" manually flick it towards the shooter lane & it should read "2"

After boot and pressing credit button if it thinks a ball is missing (like resting in shooter lane) it will make an ascending type of sound (or mine does anyways with speech on )

#12 2 years ago

Ace and Chaz got it right. You need to make sure all the ball switches are working. The machine looks at the trough switches and outhole and checks for 2 balls before allowing a game to start. Make sure you are checking the switches with balls resting on them and not by pressing them closed with your finger.

#13 2 years ago

I unplugged j3 on mpu and zero stuck switches.I am in process of checking this out

#14 2 years ago

Both trough switches work fine with balls sitting on them.Found tube entry switch needed adjusted.Fixed that.It does go out of attract mode when start switch is pushed.Now #1 and #3 rollover buttons not registering.Thanks to everyone for helping.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

Both trough switches work fine with balls sitting on them.Found tube entry switch needed adjusted.Fixed that.It does go out of attract mode when start switch is pushed.Now #1 and #3 rollover buttons not registering.Thanks to everyone for helping.

Way to go Larry. Check the rollover switch gap as well as the wiring. Those wires are easily crushed due to their location. They are daisy chained as well.

#16 2 years ago

All my switches show open in switch test.I can manually activate each switch and they read and correspond to correct number.The credit start switch functions in test mode,but when pushed in attract mode everthing locks up.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

All my switches show open in switch test.I can manually activate each switch and they read and correspond to correct number.The credit start switch functions in test mode,but when pushed in attract mode everthing locks up.

Call me tomorrow.

#18 2 years ago

Issue in the tilt mech possibly?

#19 2 years ago

I will call Tom,I will also double check tilt mech.Thanks Everyone

#20 2 years ago

I live in Chillicothe, not far from Lucasville. If you want me to come down and look at it with you let me know. Sometimes another set of eyes is useful.

#21 2 years ago

If it is instant tilting the tilt lamp on the backbox should turn on, so you can look for that.

#22 2 years ago

Problem solved.After checking every wire for shorts,checking all diodes and cleaning and adjusting every switch.It still would not start a game.I don't think I would have fixed it without all your input.So thanks to all.The problem ended up being a bad connection on mpu j2 pin 12.Somebody had put a twisted pin in the header and it had an intermittent connection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 17.00
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside