Xenon won't start

By jnicholas330

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I was playing my Xenon machine with no issues, when suddenly all the feature lights went out, leaving the GI and flippers still working. I recycled the power to the machine, and the GI would come on with a few random (different each time) feature lights stuck on. I tested all the fuses as OK. I was able to get the machine to start up once after this, and it stayed on for about five seconds before making the slam tilt shutdown noise. The machine is stock except for a new MPU (alltek).

This is may first machine and I've only had it a month, so it is possible there is something obvious I am missing. Thanks for all your help in advance!

#2 5 years ago

Check all the tilt switches. There are 4. One on coin door, one under playfield, the tilt pendulum and the rolling ball switch (inside coin door to the left. When it made the tilt noise did the tilt light in the back glass light up? (lower center in butt crack).

#3 5 years ago

Ballys of this era: Connectors, Connectors Connectors. Start by measuring power supply voltages, then move across the other boards and check that each voltage is still good after going thru connectors. If the big connector on the upper right of the solenoid driver/voltage regulator board (large board, upper right) is original, it needs to be changed.

If by wiggling connectors/wire harnesses you get the game to start, then you have done some diagnosis, but the only repair is replacing connectors. Do both sides: headers (pins on board) and connectors (ends of the wire harness).

Good luck,

Don C.

#4 5 years ago

Yep, if you added a new MPU but did not re-pin all the connectors, you most likely will see flaky behavior.

#5 5 years ago

Check your voltage at the alltek, even if the little light says it's fine.

#6 5 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback. I tested voltages on the MPU, Solenoid Driver Board, and Power Unit. Here are the readings:

Solenoid:
TP1 5.2
TP2 184.6
TP3 5.2
TP4 240
TP5 14.3

MPU:
TP2 44.2
TP4 5.2

PDU:
TP1 7.1
TP2 221
TP3 15
TP4 6.3 VAC
TP5 44.3

The "good" news is the machine now starts up. I'm not exactly sure why. The bad news is that none of the solenoids fire (I ran the test), except for the knocker.

#7 5 years ago

Almost all games of this vintage need all connectors repinned. Solves lots of headaches.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jnicholas330:

The bad news is that none of the solenoids fire (I ran the test), except for the knocker.

Check the fuse located under the playfield. It could be blown, which would explain why the coils aren't firing (except for the knocker, which is on a different circuit)

#9 5 years ago

Thanks, frunch the fuse was to blame. However, I tested it right after the (original) issue started and it was fine. Strange. Now I'm having (yet another) issue. The machines is now operable, but something funny is going on with the sound. The vocalizer seems to be fine, but now every play field switch results in the same sound (a chime).

#10 5 years ago

I'd definitely start with connectors as far as the sound issue, both on the sound board and mpu board. As was said earlier, if reseating the connectors fixes the problem, don't wait--replace the connector pins. And even if replacing/re-flowing the connectors doesn't fix the issues, at very least you can rule them out and proceed from there. I'm really surprised how often the problems on these games comes down to connectors.

For that matter, i think it's also worthwhile to take a closer look at the rectifier board. Any burned up connectors there? I always replace the male header pins and female connectors on the rectifier board when i get a game of this vintage. Voltage problems (often resulting from old, worn-out connectors) starting at the rectifier board can lead you down all kinds of diagnostic dead-ends elsewhere. So make certain all connectors are good there, and that the fuses are properly rated and the fuse clips are good and tight.

One last thing: the big capacitor on the power supply board--does it look original? Many had a big metallic blue one. If so, you'll definitely need to replace it to ensure good 5v and 12v supplies.

Good luck! Xenon is a great game, can be very difficult!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I'd definitely start with connectors as far as the sound issue, both on the sound board and mpu board. As was said earlier, if reseating the connectors fixes the problem, don't wait--replace the connector pins. And even if replacing/re-flowing the connectors doesn't fix the issues, at very least you can rule them out and proceed from there. I'm really surprised how often the problems on these games comes down to connectors.
For that matter, i think it's also worthwhile to take a closer look at the rectifier board. Any burned up connectors there? I always replace the male header pins and female connectors on the rectifier board when i get a game of this vintage. Voltage problems (often resulting from old, worn-out connectors) starting at the rectifier board can lead you down all kinds of diagnostic dead-ends elsewhere. So make certain all connectors are good there, and that the fuses are properly rated and the fuse clips are good and tight.
One last thing: the big capacitor on the power supply board--does it look original? Many had a big metallic blue one. If so, you'll definitely need to replace it to ensure good 5v and 12v supplies.
Good luck! Xenon is a great game, can be very difficult!

You may just want to first reflow the connectors to see if that is the issue. Once you validate, then look to replace.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

You may just want to first reflow the connectors to see if that is the issue. Once you validate, then look to replace.

Good advice. Since i have a good desoldering gun, i always just replace them. But re-flowing is often sufficient (unless any pins are really burnt)...and is less likely to create problems in the process (lifting solder pads/traces, etc). So yeah, OP should probably just re-flow first (and replace female connectors where necessary)...

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

The machine has gone back to its old ways (the original post issue). It will blow the playfield fuse on turn on, and the MPU self test light will randomly be on or off (it does not blink). If I press the self test button on the MPU, different feature lights will toggle, and sometimes a solenoid will fire. I ordered some replacement connectors, but thought I'd post an update while I wait for them to arrive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-wont-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.