(Topic ID: 232465)

Xenon won’t initialize after power on. Hangs.

By StoneyCreek

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

This is my first foray here asking for advice. I bought a partially shopped Xenon pin a couple weeks ago and really want to bring it to great working condition.
It is in pretty good shape cosmetically, but the flippers need rebuild and there are some lights that stay on and some that won’t come on. The guy I bought it from replaced a lot of lamps with LEDs, and added the capacitors required to prevent flicker. Then he became busy/disinterested and sold it to me. It is my first pin....and it plays well when it powers on.
Today I adjusted the flippers to keep them from sagging ...the right was weak and neither could catch very well due to bad alignment. Well, I thought I was done, Fixed a bumper light that was not soldered well....and closed her up expecting to play a game.
After powering up the game, The initial lights game on (back glass and the ‘always ons’) and then a few seconds later a quick ‘flash’ of all the lights....a sub second flash....and then nothing. A few lights on the play field (the blue E two blue Ns and a green 35) stayed on, backglass scoreing lights not on, and the machine won’t initialize.

The machine is in that state now and I have no idea what to check.

This happened a few times last week, and I thought I had not attached the backglass connectors correctly so I undid them all and re connected them and all worked fine. This time, no go.

Other issues (when I do get the power up fixed...), The #2 rollover button up top does not drop the #2 target....all the others work fine.
The exit chamber sometimes does not ‘catch’ the ball.
The aforementioned always on and never on lights on the playfield, And I want to reinstall the coin mech that the previous owner disconnected and hardwired to the coin return button to issue credits!
Any advice for figuring out the intermittent power on prob, That would be a great help.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Open the backbox, count how many times the MPU LED flashes upon bootup; including the quick initial flash

#3 5 years ago

It sounds like the game is not fully booting. Check all fuses and try again.

#4 5 years ago

MPU led flashing green 5 times. Found and replaced blown F4 (next time I will take fuses out to check them or use a magnglass...doh!). It was 5A.
Replaced it, powered up....worked...for a minute. When I went to play, everything seemed to go fine until I played a ball....something caused the fuse to blow again in the middle of play.

I put in another fuse and tested each feature one by one....rollovers, targets pop bumpers, slingshots, both saucers, rollovers......flippers....no prob.

Started a game and got a decent first ball....then when I plunged ball 2....blown again.

#5 5 years ago

OK, after searching forum I found a post where a badly adjusted EOS contact (wasn’t making good contact) would cause overdraw and blow a playfield fuse. Sure enough, when ImDjusted the flipper on its pole so it wouldn’t sag, I inadvertently knocked the EOS blade out of position. Everything back in order. Now on th my ‘always on’ lighting issue. Thanks.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Other issues (when I do get the power up fixed...), The #2 rollover button up top does not drop the #2 target....all the others work fine.
The exit chamber sometimes does not ‘catch’ the ball.
The aforementioned always on and never on lights on the playfield,

does the #2 rollover work in switch test ?

For the exit chamber, you look like you have a very nice CPR playfeild. I am wondering if there is a missing metal pin and if just doubling a plastic post rubber would help slow the ball down with it missing. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-tube-shot-issues#post-4751928 (click the image to enlarge)

The lamps stuck on could be a bad transistor in the lamp board http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#lamp

2 weeks later
#7 5 years ago

chas10e thanks for the pointer on the saucer issue. the pin is there. I am going to try your double post rubber suggesiton. Also, after doing some more research and talking to a couple techs I know, I've decided to spend the $ on a new lamp driver board. this 39 year old machine has all original boards. I'll have to learn how to replace one, but I think that I'd rather do that than start replacing transitors on an old board.
cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-wont-initialize-after-power-on-hangs?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.