Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JeffZee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

One day I turned on the game and suddenly it was awarding an automatic extra ball on ball 1. That is, an extra ball is awarded as soon as any points-scoring switch is closed. So for example, the shooter lane switch does not award an extra ball. But any other playfield switch awards the extra ball. The number of players is irrelevant. Everyone gets an extra ball on ball 1. The problem is completely consistent, not intermittent. Balls 2 and 3 play normal. The normal and only way to earn an extra ball on this game is to complete the drop targets four times on the same ball. I can think of no logical circumstance where a single switch closure would award an extra ball. And why is this only a problem on ball 1 and not balls 2 and 3? I'm stumped.

I have made no recent repairs or modifications, so there's nothing for me to go back and undo.

Just for fun I tried re-seating all the MPU connectors and I swapped the PIA chips. No effect.

When I bought this game back in 2008 it had no battery so I added one of those Tom Callahan pin-logic non-volatile memories. I was about to say there's no battery corrosion, but on closer look I do see some along the bottom edge of the board. Now this something I'm not really interested in dealing with. Without any other simpler ideas I'd just as soon buy an Alltek board.

Any other ideas or should I just try the Alltek? To be honest, my troubleshooting enthusiasm just took a nosedive now that I noticed the corrosion.

#2 7 years ago

Yes, it sounds like you are loosing battery backup power. Bally's of this vintage revert back to a really low score threshold, and it sounds like your first threshold is configured for extra ball.

Check all your DIP switch settings and then the software settings via the red button inside the door.

#3 7 years ago

That's it!

I did have the game setup for replay. I had the first threshold at 500,000. That value was unchanged.

Adjustments 16 and 17 should be 03 and 03 for replay or 02 and 02 for extra ball. They were 02 and 00. According to the manual 00 is not a valid value so I don't know where that came from. But I put them both back to 03 and that seems to have done it.

Thanks !!!

#4 7 years ago

The game has so many specials I never noticed that non of my replays were coming from points. Seems like a bone-head non-observation in retrospect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-wonky-extra-ball-awards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.