Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230109_170241 (resized).jpg
20230109_170304 (resized).jpg
27ADB830-492E-48E7-88ED-83F1AE3BB32D (resized).jpeg
1BA8BE7F-2234-4436-AA38-4B64ACC0BD9A (resized).jpeg
20220915_010017_resized_3 (resized).jpg
0E17F805-8FD6-4096-9D9F-4EBA857AAE49 (resized).jpeg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

You guys ain't making this any easier.....kinda wish one of them was a pig so this would be a no brainer. Guess that's why both were on my "to buy someday" list. We'll see what fate brings, still trying to figure out a way to get both...

#52 1 year ago

Xenon looks great, had one years ago. Was only playing my HS a bit earlier and making the ramp is easy, great game and has a bit of everything to get you pumped.
Get both lol

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

You guys ain't making this any easier.....kinda wish one of them was a pig so this would be a no brainer. Guess that's why both were on my "to buy someday" list. We'll see what fate brings, still trying to figure out a way to get both...

Gameplay-wise it really is a no brainer TBH.

Collection-wise, then it is subjective for sure.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Xenon is a simple piece of nothing.

Respectfully, I disagree.

I’ll agree, in stock form Xenon can be simplistic, gameplay-wise. The light and sound package is great, but that won't save it if you don't like the gameplay. A few simple mods can make a world of difference.

This mod is so simple, yet has the most dramatic impact on gameplay.

Before:
1BA8BE7F-2234-4436-AA38-4B64ACC0BD9A (resized).jpeg1BA8BE7F-2234-4436-AA38-4B64ACC0BD9A (resized).jpeg
After:
27ADB830-492E-48E7-88ED-83F1AE3BB32D (resized).jpeg27ADB830-492E-48E7-88ED-83F1AE3BB32D (resized).jpeg
Replacing the metal ball guide with rubber adds more side to side action from the pops and also bricks tube shots if your aim is not spot on.

Also, replacing the two piece inlane ball guides with single, curved classic Stern style guides and removing 200 turns of wire from the pop bumper coils will liven up the game immensely. I used to have scores in the millions, now scores of 500K-600K are the norm. It's very humbling.

I've also added reverb sound and multiple lighting mods to further enhance the overall experience.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I’ll agree, in stock form Xenon can be simplistic, gameplay-wise. The light and sound package is great, but that won't save it if you don't like the gameplay. A few simple mods can make a world of difference.
Before:
[quoted image]
After:
[quoted image]
This adds more side to side action from the pops and also bricks tube shots if your aim is not spot on.
Replacing the two piece inlane ball guides with single, curved classic Stern style guides and removing 200 turns of wire from the pop bumper coils will liven up the game immensely. I used to have scores in the millions, now scores of 500K-600K are the norm. It's very humbling.
I've also added reverb sound and multiple lighting mods to further enhance the overall experience.

Yeah.. I was frustrated by comments about difficulty in xenon. I always chuckle... As pinball is meant to be set up by the operator for difficulty.

For many now, I think people run a steep angle but do not compensate the kickout from the tube shot. This should be kicking out to a sling. But when you increase the pitch, without adjustment this will kick out to the flipper for immediate control. Lol.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Well this one's simple.

If you like Williams style of play, High Speed.
If you like Bally's - which play different, Xenon.

Xenon is the harder, shorter game that I prefer.
Most pinheads would probably choose HS, and has a far better multi-ball.

#57 1 year ago

Xenon, purely due to having one of the greatest back boxes ever.

#58 1 year ago

Will NEVER understand why people like Xenon, beyond the retro sounds/artwork.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Also, replacing the two piece inlane ball guides with single, curved classic Stern style guides and removing 200 turns of wire from the pop bumper coils will liven up the game immensely. I used to have scores in the millions, now scores of 500K-600K are the norm. It's very humbling.

The game’s difficulty, with or without the shown “mod” has zero to do with how well the game is designed or plays in competition. The 7 or 8 examples I have played in competition all played fine… were set up such that 300-600K is a decent score. Changes my perspective none. In competition, no one is shooting that tube shot unless it’s to lock a ball.

#59 1 year ago

I love this mod. I’m in the process of swapping playfields and am doing this for sure! Please send me any tips on doing this mod and lighting suggestions if you can. To answer the thread Question: get both if possible. Both great games, easy to work on.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Before:
[quoted image]
After:
[quoted image]
Replacing the metal ball guide with rubber adds more side to side action from the pops and also bricks tube shots if your aim is not spot on.

#60 1 year ago

I'll beat that high score one day.

20230109_170241 (resized).jpg20230109_170241 (resized).jpg20230109_170304 (resized).jpg20230109_170304 (resized).jpg
#61 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Will NEVER understand why people like Xenon, beyond the retro sounds/artwork.

The game’s difficulty, with or without the shown “mod” has zero to do with how well the game is designed or plays in competition. The 7 or 8 examples I have played in competition all played fine… were set up such that 300-600K is a decent score. Changes my perspective none. In competition, no one is shooting that tube shot unless it’s to lock a ball.

It’s really not fair to judge Xenon based on competition play. The tube shot is THE ONE playfield feature that makes the game unique. It’d be like me saying I never shoot for anything but Sonic Booms on Doctor Who. I’d be missing out on everything else the game has to offer.

If you just don’t like the game that’s fair. I don’t judge. There are plenty of games I don’t like that others love.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

IIt’d be like me saying I never shoot for anything but Sonic Booms on Doctor Who...

I wish I could enjoy the wat of Doc Whom but that's pretty much the most interesting part I mean you bumble into MB which is fun.

#63 1 year ago

UPDATE: So first off, thank you all for your comments and points of view. In the end they did help me to decide which way to go. There was no way for me to come up w/cash for both games SO......I got Xenon, here's why: I am more familiar with the Bally play, diagnostics, and repair, the condition of Xenon while not collectors quality is very good (much better than the HS), I like the way it plays, and looks, plus it fits in nicely with my current collection. I have never had a game newer than 1983 but while picking up the Xenon I played an AC DC and find myself learning to like some of the modern games. I am still not into toys and gimmicks on the PF, or an overly crowded PF, or distracting videos, but I do like the ability to play essentially different games in one box like selecting the song on AC DC. So, I think my future search will include something a little more modern....or new. Just gonna have to find a way to pay for it. Thanks again everyone!

1 month later
#65 1 year ago

NEW UPDATE, Found a sweet High Speed...paid too much, but oh well, now I have BOTH. Kids seem to like both pretty equally, but I've noticed them playing HS more.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Francisco, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Wichita Falls, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 90.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-vs-high-speed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.