Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230109_170241 (resized).jpg
20230109_170304 (resized).jpg
27ADB830-492E-48E7-88ED-83F1AE3BB32D (resized).jpeg
1BA8BE7F-2234-4436-AA38-4B64ACC0BD9A (resized).jpeg
20220915_010017_resized_3 (resized).jpg
0E17F805-8FD6-4096-9D9F-4EBA857AAE49 (resized).jpeg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Hope this is the right forum. I am a fan of early SS pins but like 'em all. I have to make a choice on my next buy, High Speed or Xenon, both priced the same at the top of pinside estimate. Xenon is a lower play game in better condition, but High Speed is still nice...no issues. I'm more familiar/comfortable w/Bally....but? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, re-saleability is always a consideration in conjunction with all other concerns. Thanks

#2 1 year ago

High Speed all the way. Enough said.

John

#3 1 year ago

I'd take High Speed for both game play and audio. Although the coin drop on Xenon gets attention. Value is similar in my mind, everything else equal. Condition is king though and in todays upside down world of pin prices anything seems possible. Does theme make a difference for you? Quite different in that regard.

#4 1 year ago

High Speed is the better game, and looking at your collection High Speed is "more different" than your other pins. The ramp shot on High Speed is killer.

#5 1 year ago

These are two totally different games. High Speed has more to do and better gameplay. Xenon has better sound effects and art package, and the chaser lights around the backglass are too cool. If you have an eclectic collection, High Speed is probably a better fit. If you gravitate towards a collection of futuristic and sci-fi-themed pins, Xenon is a must. Re-salability shouldn't be a problem for either. I have both and High Speed would get sold/traded first.

* plus Xenon and your Space Invaders would look so good next to each other.

#6 1 year ago

High speed for flow, Xenon for theme… Sound on Xenon will drive you nuts if you don’t like error inducing crescendo of the background sound.

#7 1 year ago

Easily high speed in every aspect other than maybe just sheer looks. High Speed is no slouch for looks but its nothing too special, Xenon is really pretty. Gameplay, mechanics, software, ect, basically everything that matters all landslide to high speed though

#8 1 year ago

High speed. Once you master the xenon tube shot there's not a lot else to do the mb doesn't have a point other than hey it's multiball. Xenon definitely better av package though.

High speed can get old too but there more than one way to play it at least.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

High speed. Once you master the xenon tube shot there's not a lot else to do the mb doesn't have a point other than hey it's multiball. Xenon definitely better av package though.
High speed can get old too but there more than one way to play it at least.

Xenon been in my collection for 4 years now, my interest in High Speed lasted a week and I was done with it. I still have not beat the prior owners high score on Xenon.

It's going to come down to your personal taste.

#10 1 year ago

High Speed

#11 1 year ago

Another vote for High Speed here.

#12 1 year ago

You are trolling right?

#13 1 year ago

Thanks for the input....no trolling I'm just really wrestling with which way to go....wish I had more money to get both.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Thanks for the input....no trolling I'm just really wrestling with which way to go....wish I had more money to get both.

Then you are asking the wrong question. You should be asking High Speed vs. EBD... That way you can't make a mistake!

Xenon is a simple piece of nothing.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Xenon is one of those pins which is easy to pickup but difficult to master in my opinion.

What pins do you like now?

#16 1 year ago

Newest game I ever had was Jungle Lord, did not really like the two level PF, sold it and using the money for this buy. Paragon is my fav of my collection w/Laser Ball coming in next. Would like to step into slightly newer game....but dang Xenon looks cool, and would fit nicely w/SI, on other hand the gameplay of HS certainly looks like fun!

#17 1 year ago

Xenon looks cooler. Everything else goes to High Speed. Remember you don't play the looks you play the game, and that's not even a contest between these two.

#18 1 year ago

It's all subjective, of course. My pick would be Xenon because of the theme and the art. I enjoy playing both, but man, that Xenon just looks *good*.

#19 1 year ago

High speed

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Remember you don't play the looks you play the game

true enough, but some of us spend just as much time admiring the artwork of our pins as we do playing them.

#21 1 year ago

High Speed can't compete with the sexy voice of Zenon. "Try me again".

#22 1 year ago

Another vote for high speed. Better gameplay overall. I love revving the playfield before launching the ball.

#23 1 year ago

I kept Xenon and sent HS down the road a ling time ago. Note that I have a larger collection. I love System 11’s and old Ballys. In a small collection I wouldn’t keep either one. That being said my opinion won’t help you because Jungle Lord is the best game ever.

#25 1 year ago

OK, OK, what can I sell and get both? Man this is difficult. Thanks everyone

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

OK, OK, what can I sell and get both?

Space Invaders to start.

#27 1 year ago

Have to say I don't disagree with you, but my son loves it, and it looks cool beside my SI arcade game.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I kept Xenon and sent HS down the road a ling time ago. Note that I have a larger collection. I love System 11’s and old Ballys. In a small collection I wouldn’t keep either one. That being said my opinion won’t help you because Jungle Lord is the best game ever.

High Speed i had nothing to do after multiball and making the jackpot shot.

Xenon you can run up the MOTA bonus and collect or try and get the special & extra ball off the drops.. harder than it sounds because if you drain you have to start over again on the next ball. I think I have done it once in 4 years.

#29 1 year ago

I’m bias towards Xe. She’s so damn hot. I keep trying to convince my wife to get GAME OVER tattooed on her upper thighs but no luck so far.

0E17F805-8FD6-4096-9D9F-4EBA857AAE49 (resized).jpeg0E17F805-8FD6-4096-9D9F-4EBA857AAE49 (resized).jpeg
#30 1 year ago

I haven't spent enough time on HS. I love Xenon, but I'm biased since its the first pin I owned and the total package is just so sweet.

#31 1 year ago

Did I mention, seller claims only 100 plays on Xenon? Not sure if I believe such a low number....but?

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Did I mention, seller claims only 100 plays on Xenon? Not sure if I believe such a low number....but?

I think the only way that would be possible is if they bought in 1980. Set up it at the local bowling alley and a fuse blew the first weekend it was out and the operator didn’t know how to service the game and folded it up to be untouched for 43 years. If it TRULY has 100 actual plays it would probably be impossible to prove. The playfield would be pretty much flawless depending on how it was stored. Would love to see some pics of that.

#33 1 year ago

100 since restored maybe? There's some nice restores out there. But yeah, a flawless original would be nice to see. That being said, the play count doesn't really matter so much as the condition vs. price.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

People can claim anything. Does it LOOK like it? If it does I'd buy it. You can enjoy it, and sell it if you don't want to keep it, moving a super clean game like that won't be hard.

#35 1 year ago

I've remade both these games interestingly. I prefer the simplicity of Xenon, but I did add a story mode and new features. High Speed got a sequel but Xenon never did. Although Xenon II by the Bitmap Brothers is an awesome shoot 'em up.

Time for my Nana nap I think.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

You gotta roll it.

#37 1 year ago

HS has some good adjustments. By default the ramp shot and saucer spot the player one of the nine stoplights. You can shut those off to require the player hit the stand up targets in order. Makes the game difficult and with the flow **chefs kiss**.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Xenon you can run up the MOTA bonus and collect or try and get the special & extra ball off the drops.. harder than it sounds because if you drain you have to start over again on the next ball. I think I have done it once in 4 years.

Actually, it's quite a challenge in HS to avoid the ramp after the jackpot, and go specifically for stoplights, get them all and you light an extra ball.

Pin-bot has a similar rule. It's amazing how many don't know about this little rule, but it adds a neat layer of depth, as it is quite difficult to achieve.

#39 1 year ago

Guys, you've really got me trying to figure out a way to get both. Time for some fire-sales I think.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Guys, you've really got me trying to figure out a way to get both. Time for some fire-sales I think.

Xenon Play wise is a dud for me.

#41 1 year ago

Get both.

Xenon sure, its limited on shots, and unless you dig it for looks, it's never a hard sell. I like hitting those little roll over switches and I love playing it for tournaments because no one else does!

High Speed is great in any collection. Spinner orbits hell yes.

You have an interesting line up and both games would be great to have for more variety.

#42 1 year ago

High Speed is amazing. Great combination of music, sound, lights, software, and game layout. I won’t be selling mine. I like Xenon and would like to own one. She gives off a fun vibe with the sound and looks. High Speed is way more fun.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Actually, it's quite a challenge in HS to avoid the ramp after the jackpot, and go specifically for stoplights, get them all and you light an extra ball.
Pin-bot has a similar rule. It's amazing how many don't know about this little rule, but it adds a neat layer of depth, as it is quite difficult to achieve.

It's easy to avoid the ramp on HS, hell 9 times out of 10 you don't make it anyways!

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It's easy to avoid the ramp on HS, hell 9 times out of 10 you don't make it anyways!

A clean shot should go 100% of the time. Mine is set up like this anyway, even with the old original ramp. I'm told the Freeplay 40 ones improve the smoothness going up. Nothing more frustrating than not making a shot when you did everything right to normally make it happen. I suspect this was part of the reason you moved it along so quickly.. I would too!

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

A clean shot should go 100% of the time. Mine is set up like this anyway, even with the old original ramp. I'm told the Freeplay 40 ones improve the smoothness going up. Nothing more frustrating than not making a shot when you did everything right to normally make it happen. I suspect this was part of the reason you moved it along so quickly.. I would too!

Original ramp.

20220915_010017_resized_3 (resized).jpg20220915_010017_resized_3 (resized).jpg
#46 1 year ago

Tough one! I agree with the folks here that say to get both.

That said, if you can only afford one (and I have 2 kids so I understand!), I would go with High Speed.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Xenon, and I almost bought a Xenon twice because she literally has some of the best looking artwork outside Magic Girl and people played the hell out of them (just look at the burned up playfields on most).

Sure the shots are limited and once you master that tube shot, you more or less mastered the game, but again - that backglass and playfield art is just amazing and play isn't bad by any means... but I still think High Speed.

#47 1 year ago

I love Ballys and like to work on them but I think System 11 is the sweet spot. Still fun to fix but with a lot more to do in the game for play.

High speed is just great with several ways to play it as has been mentioned.

Xenon is beautiful but I don't want to play more than a game or 2 at a show.

Good luck.

#48 1 year ago

It's interesting, while I would in general say the art on Xenon has an edge with the layered backbox depth, cab and playfield.

The High speed art, particularly the backglass is also one of the top pieces in pinball for sure. If we are just talking just backglass, IDK... I might even take HS over Xenon for that. The view from the police vehicle, with the two officers expressive faces, and the displays in the dash, with a rear view mirror.. man.. it's pretty great.

Just felt it needed to be said, since most of the comments are just talking about the Xenon art. It's not like High speed has poor art by any means!

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from spinout:

Tough one! I agree with the folks here that say to get both.
That said, if you can only afford one (and I have 2 kids so I understand!), I would go with High Speed.
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Xenon, and I almost bought a Xenon twice because she literally has some of the best looking artwork outside Magic Girl and people played the hell out of them (just look at the burned up playfields on most).
Sure the shots are limited and once you master that tube shot, you more or less mastered the game, but again - that backglass and playfield art is just amazing and play isn't bad by any means... but I still think High Speed.

If you are just going for the tube and neglecting the drops you are missing half the game.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If you are just going for the tube and neglecting the drops you are missing half the game.

Not to mention the lit spinner, back to the top with those rollovers that are pretty fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-vs-high-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.