• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Xenon switch matrix (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi, my Xenon started making tilt when the ball land in the base outhole. But only do that if drop target 1 and 2 are down.
If I drop just the one or the two, the game plays normal. But if the 1 and 2 are down, when the ball enter in the outhole, the tilt light turns on, and the game stop there.

I changed the Pia and checked all the switches diodes. But the game keep doing the same. What could be?

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Shorted diode on drop target #1.

#3 6 years ago

I agree with the doo, if you look at the switch matrix, you can see the relationship is either in the same row or column... check your diodes.
You state you check the diodes, all of them in these rows / columns?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Using Atari's image I added a green line showing signal flow using the three valid closed switches. Since the outhole switch triggers the tilt in this scenario we'll start the signal path on ST0. The signal passes through the outhole diode in the correct direction, through the closed outhole switch and appears on I7 where the MPU can read it as a valid switch closure. This is normal.

The signal also passes through any other closed switches on I7. It's the job of the diodes on each of the other switches to stop the signal right there and keep it from going the wrong way through the switch matrix.

However, the shorted diode on DT #1 allows the signal to flow the wrong way through the diode instead of blocking it. The signal hops on ST2 (vertical line) where it can pass through closed switch DT #2 and appear on I6.

The purple line shows the signal flow as interpreted by the MPU. It knows nothing of the shorted diode. It only knows the signal started on ST0 and can be seen on I6, and the only way it could have gotten there is through the tilt switch. So it tilts the game.

Xenon switch matrix (resized).pngXenon switch matrix (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

You're still making a box. DT1 as mentioned is the probable suspect

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Using Atari's image I added a green line showing signal flow using the three valid closed switches. Since the outhole switch triggers the tilt in this scenario we'll start the signal path on ST0. The signal passes through the outhole diode in the correct direction, through the closed outhole switch and appears on I7 where the MPU can read it as a valid switch closure. This is normal.
The signal also passes through any other closed switches on I7. It's the job of the diodes on each of the other switches to stop the signal right there and keep it from going the wrong way through the switch matrix.
However, the shorted diode on DT #1 allows the signal to flow the wrong way through the diode instead of blocking it. The signal hops on ST2 (vertical line) where it can pass through closed switch DT #2 and appear on I6.
The purple line shows the signal flow as interpreted by the MPU. It knows nothing of the shorted diode. It only knows the signal started on ST0 and can be seen on I6, and the only way it could have gotten there is through the tilt switch. So it tilts the game.

Cool, I learned something today. Thanks!

#7 6 years ago

Thank a lot!! you are awesome

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-very-weird-switch-tilt-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.