• Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A70772AD-0512-4531-8F16-DC260FF2FB88 (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

My xenon has been in my family since 1981, but it’s been in sitting in a shed for 20. After turning it on for the first time in forever, the general illumination lights turn on, but nothing else. The kick up sound doesn’t start and the attract lights don’t start either. I’ve tested the bulbs and the sockets and the sockets work, but some bulbs didn’t. So I replaced most of the bulbs. Same thing happened. I also tested the sound board. All the sounds start playing, so it’s not the soundboard. I also tested all the fuses:all good. So I have no idea why attract mode isn’t starting. I can’t play unless it starts up. Please help, and I will be so happy.

#2 5 years ago

Your MPU probably isn't booting. There's an led near the bottom of it that should blink 7 times. If it blinks less than that, the number of blinks should narrow down the issue.

#3 5 years ago

zacaj oh yeah I totally forgot. I also checked the MPU A5 solenoid board and the led flashed 7x

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from JasonGood:

zacaj oh yeah I totally forgot. I also checked the MPU A5 solenoid board and the led flashed 7x

Check TP3, should be at least 20VDC

#5 5 years ago

Did it have batteries in it? Also did you check the 2 big capacitors under the plastic piece? They probably need replaced as well as the pin connectors checked for cracked solder.

#6 5 years ago

zacaj Zablon Here’s an image of what I’m dealing with. I tested the blue capacitors on the top right corner board and they were good. There aren’t any batteries from the looks of it. What board are the pin connectors on?

A70772AD-0512-4531-8F16-DC260FF2FB88 (resized).jpegA70772AD-0512-4531-8F16-DC260FF2FB88 (resized).jpeg
#7 5 years ago

That white cylinder on the bottom of the MPU is a battery. Looks like it's already got some corrosion. I'd clip it off before it corrodes any more

#8 5 years ago

zacaj oh my gosh, I never would have seen that, thank you so much, this must be the problem. If not I’ll post again

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from JasonGood:

zacaj oh my gosh, I never would have seen that, thank you so much, this must be the problem. If not I’ll post again

If you're getting all the flashes the battery isn't the problem, but it will be soon if not removed

#10 5 years ago

Yea, that board probably needs a lot of work.

1. Clip the battery (it won't affect gameplay)
2. remove that board from the back box and take a toothbrush and some baking soda and scrub that area (any that looks corroded) to neutralize it. Then clean it with isopropyl alcohol.
3. Replace the 2 big blue capacitors - most likely those are your issue
4. While the board is out check the back of the boards - the connectors I was referring to are where the cables plug in. You need to inspect each pin solder joint - most likely you should try to reflow the solder on them, but not knowing your skills I would start with the first 3 steps and see if that gets it running.

I do think that some battery damage has been done on the left side...but you'd need to look closely and see if any traces were damaged (eaten through) on both the front and back.

#11 5 years ago

Zablon alright I’ll definitely try that, and thank you so much

#12 5 years ago

Yea, classic battery corrosion problem. Also make sure all the balls are in the game. If you get 7 flashes on the mpu and no boot it's usually because the ball switches are not registering.

Zabs list is spot on with a 'barn find' like this.

You can find Cap kits on ebay for these games. Assuming the battery damage is not fatal caps and solder reflows should get you going.

#13 5 years ago

Is there a ball in it? Andnd does the ball trough switch work? Xenon won't boot unless it detects a ball in the trough.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Is there a ball in it? Andnd does the ball trough switch work? Xenon won't boot unless it detects a ball in the trough.

Won't it need two?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from JasonGood:

After turning it on for the first time in forever

Read the repair guide section "Before turning the game on" Lots of info on things to be checked, upgraded and repaired when aquiring a used game.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#mid

#16 5 years ago

erak oh jeez, I didn’t even think of that

2 weeks later
#17 5 years ago

Zablon zacaj ok, nevermind, I looked at the led on the MPU board again and when you turn on the machine, it’s a quick blink and then a flash, a pause, and then 5 more flashes. The manual states that the led should do a flash, pause and then 6 more flashes. What should I do?

#18 5 years ago

Sounds like your MPU isn't detecting the 43V for the solenoids. Possibly just a bad fuse on the rectifier board. If they all check out then check the voltage at TP3 on the MPU

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-start-up-problem?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.