Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TinyToo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi. I'm looking for some help and advice in troubleshooting a sound problem on my Xenon. When I press the sound test on the sound card the sounds play OK, but I'm not getting any sound during the game.

I have previously replaced all the caps on the board and the sound was working after that. I have now also re-pinned a new connector and re-soldered the header on the sound board. I have also de-soldered and re-soldered the relevant pins on J4 connector of the MPU board in an attempt to ensure the connections between these boards were OK. My next step will be to re-pin the J4 connector on the MPU board just in case. I wondered though, if anyone out there had any tips on troubleshooting this problem to help me identify where the problem actually lies or any advice as to common causes of this problem.

Thanks all

#2 8 years ago

If you look at the schematics, all the triggers on the sound board run through U5, a 4049.

The self test switch doesn't use that chip though, it just triggers a line on the cpu chip.

If all your solenoids are working in the game as you play it, and you've already repinned the sound board header connector, i'd look at U5.

Also check self test #18 to make sure you have it set for 0,1,2,3 . If you set it for 15 or something that it can't recognize, it may react by not making any sound.... Sometimes when the ram gets swapped, the batteries die, or something gets corrupted in the 5101 or something it might throw garbage into the test settings.

1 week later
#3 8 years ago

Thanks Ronnie for your advice. Replaced the U5 4049 chip on the sound board and the sounds have returned during the game (didn't mention in my original post but I had already checked the #18 settings).

I'm now just left with a couple of slight oddities which were the issues I was originally looking at, first the attract mode sound which goes "Try whoooooooooo" instead of "Try Xenon" and one of the sounds doesn't cut off as it should. It just carries on until a new sound is triggered, slightly annoying, but at least the sounds are back in the game now. I think I'll leave well alone at least for a while.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-sound-in-test-but-not-during-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.