Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Galdaien
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I got a Xenon recently and there is no sound from the game at all. I took out the Sound Board and attached Vocalizer to examine and tested the TP's. All the TP's on the Sound Board are reading as they should, except TP1 which is about 3v high (reads around 16 - supposed to be closer to 13) and TP4 is reading about 2v where it is supposed to be 0. There are no hacks on the board.

The vocalizer is not getting any reading at TP2 which is supposed to be 5v. CR 1-3 diodes have been replaced but are all reading ok.

I took out all the ic chips and sanded any gunk off, replaced all the caps on both boards, replaced the two pots... nothing is working still.

Any help is appreciated!

#2 10 years ago

Little Update... I swapped the 6808 with a known working one to see if that would help... no change =(

#3 10 years ago

What about your rectifier board in the cabinet? Make sure all of the readings there are good first. Follow the power from the rectifier through the game until it reaches the sound board. I don't have a schematic handy to see if the power goes from the rectifier board to the solenoid driver board and then to the sound board or if it is just a straight shot and the sound board creates its voltages from what it supplied.

Check the connectors and that ribbon cable that joins the two boards together. Make sure there are no cold solder joints.

In my experience Xenon's rectifier board usually needs to be rebuilt as it has a lot of demand on it.

#4 10 years ago

No sound at all can be because any number of things.
- speaker connected properly and working?
- volume potmeter in door working and connected (also check the connector for connecting the coin door)
- potmeters on pcb working?
- amplifier ic ok?

Your 5V for the vocalizer should only be for the voices, if you have no sound at all I'm thinking something else is also wrong. To get this 5V the input connector (or the one on the soundsplus board) probably needs resoldering or a proper connected wire.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

and TP4 is reading about 2v where it is supposed to be 0.

When you have a look at the schematics it says: 0VDC without sound, 2.5VDC +/- 1V with sound.
Edit: TP4 is for the VMA, so I think the processor is trying to produce sound as it should if you measure 2V.

What do you measure on TP6, U8 and U9 (and compare them to the voltages in the schematic).

Post edited by Richard_BoK : TP4 is not a sound signal, but VMA

#6 10 years ago

do you have an 'AS 2518-57' vocal module and 'AS 2518-56 sounds plus module? and do you have schematics and a parts list?

#7 10 years ago

Got a bit busy over the weekend, sorry for the late response!

Quoted from Richard_BoK:

When you have a look at the schematics it says: 0VDC without sound, 2.5VDC +/- 1V with sound.
Edit: TP4 is for the VMA, so I think the processor is trying to produce sound as it should if you measure 2V.
What do you measure on TP6, U8 and U9 (and compare them to the voltages in the schematic).
Post edited by Richard_BoK : TP4 is not a sound signal, but VMA

I'll check out those TP's tonight and report back.

Quoted from WOLF:

do you have an 'AS 2518-57' vocal module and 'AS 2518-56 sounds plus module? and do you have schematics and a parts list?

Yes to all of your questions, why do you ask?

Thanks again guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-sound-boardvocalizer-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.