• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2839 (resized).JPG
7-Segment-Digit.png
#1 6 years ago

Making progress on the project Xenon. The rectifier is registering correct volts but no volts register on the SDB. I pulled a known working SBD from a Medusa and plugged it in and it has the same problem - no volts registered at any of the test points. Put the SBD back in the Medusa and works fine. If volts are coming off the rectifier correctly is it the plugs?

#2 6 years ago

Which voltage are you talking about?
Is the 5V missing?
Check the connector (A2)J3-10 on the rectifier board in the cabinet.
You should measure about 12Vdc to ground.
Then check at the sol/driver board (A3) J3-10, 11, 12.

#3 6 years ago

I have 14vdc at TP3 and volts at fuse F3 but no volts at the J3-10 connector.

#4 6 years ago

So on the power supply in the cabinet, you have 14v DC at TP3 but it dissapears at the connector plug J3-10?
Those 2 are a direct connection so if you're doing everything right there must be a problem with the board trace.

#5 6 years ago

Or a fuse holder, are you checking both sides of the fuse holder for voltage?

#6 6 years ago

I have 14 volts at TP3 and at pin J3 pin 10 on the rectifier board. It connects to A3J3 pin 12 - an orange wire. I am showing no volts on the plug at A3J3 12.

#7 6 years ago

There's an intermediate 24 pin block connector on the harness between the rectifier board and the SDB. This connector will probably be floating in front of the sound board.
See the picture here of that connector which has '8' hand written on it:
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2821&picno=39572&zoom=1

From memory, the 11.9V from the rectifier board A2J3-10 is a black wire that goes to this intermediate 24 pin connector on pin 7. The other side of this connector where pin 7 is has an orange wire that goes to the SDB A3J3-12 though it probably goes via the sound board at A8J1-10.
Check if you have a bad connection on that 24 pin connector pin 7 where the black wire goes in and the orange wire comes out.

#8 6 years ago

That did the trick. Thank you Quench!

My volume pots are bad on the sound boards. If I jiggle them I can get intermittent sound. I have two 1k Ohm pots but they are the wrong physical size - the through holes don't line up and bigger than the small thumb turn pots. Do you think I can modify the connection with trace wires and get by with it until I need to make another purchase? I hate to spend more on shipping than the cost of two pots.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

My volume pots are bad on the sound boards. If I jiggle them I can get intermittent sound.

For now, have you tried cleaning the old pots with 99% isopropyl or similar cleaner? With the machine off, just squirt some in the pots and rotate them full rotation a few times.

#10 6 years ago

Have not tried cleaning them. I will do that first. If not, I think i can easily anchor the larger pots to the backbox and run trace wires as a temporary fix.

#11 6 years ago

One cleaned fine the other not so much. I will order a volume pot with my next big order.

ALMOST DISASTER. So I am working on the pin and the backbox falls off. I had it bolted in place. It actually separated above that. All of the nails and braids had rusted through but there was no way of seeing it. Nothing broke thank goodness but my hand got buggered up pretty good. Any thoughts on how best to reattach? There really insn't much to attach to. The plywood is thin and will likely split. I guess I can add some wood supports and attach to those. The wooden wedges are all coming loose.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

One cleaned fine the other not so much. I will order a volume pot with my next big order.

What about the master volume control on the coin door - is it making good internal contact when you rotate it?

Post pictures of the wood damage so people can see what you're dealing with and offer suggestions.

#13 6 years ago

Do not know about the coin door master volume. I was int the process of reconnecting the coin door with the backbox fell.

I have repaired the backbox - wood glue with clamps and inside L-brackets. I filled the chipped and splintered wood with wood filler and sanded down smooth this morning. I intend to spray paint the sanded areas later today and remount the backbox. Luckily the chips and splinters were only on the black painted areas. The cabinet is in really good shape so full repaint with stencil would be good at some point. Put on blue legs that match the blue on the cabinet. Looks sharp.

#14 6 years ago

Two of the seven digit displays are missing segments. I have rebuilt display boards before but wanted to double check if rebuilding the board is an option or if the glass itself is going bad.

The missing display segments are not consistent across the display numbers in all cases. For example, in diagnostic test the first two digits of a display might be missing segments and then it cycles to another number and the missing segment is across all numbers. I read somewhere that if the missing segments are not consistent across the entire display it is likely an issue with plasma glass in which case I will buy a couple of displays.

Another question, if I can't find original bally displays can I mix and match with LEDs for the two bad displays? Wolfpack Technologies has a build it yourself display kit for $35 that look decent.

#15 6 years ago

If you increase the display high voltage by adjusting the pot on the SDB, does the missing segment issue go away? If yes, what voltage did you need to go to? (measure the high voltage at TP2 on any display as you're adjusting the SDB pot).

Which segments are playing up?

Yes, you can mix LED and plasma displays.

7-Segment-Digit.png7-Segment-Digit.png

#16 6 years ago

Turning the voltage all the way up eliminates some of the missing segments but not all of them. I am missing f, e, and g for the most part.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I am missing f, e, and g for the most part.

Are these segments missing on all digits or only some digits?

What voltage did you measure at TP2 on the display board before and after you adjusted the pot on the SDB?

#18 6 years ago

I measured 209 volts on the display board at TP2. In some cases it is all digits missing the same segments in other cases only some of digits are missing segments. I also re-soldered the connection pin and the glass display pins. I cleaned the boards as well.

#19 6 years ago

If the missing segments sometimes twinkle, then the plasma displays are probably weak.
Swap two segment driver transistors on the display that drive a segment that consistently works correctly and another segment that's worst problem. At least you'll know if it's a segment driver transistor issue.

#20 6 years ago

Will do. I have a few extra transistors from the Paragon restore. Is there an easy way to tell which segment goes to which transistor? (disregard this question I just didn't look at the schematics close enough). Are these the MPS-A42 transistors?

The sound pot on the door does not work. I think it is because someone rewired the sound and dropped in an oversized car speaker. There are actually two sound outlets in the cabinet for what appears to be two 4 ohm speakers instead of one large 8 ohm.

Merry Christmas

#21 6 years ago

I replaced the segment driver for "g" which is Q19. It did not fix the problem so I am guessing the displays themselves are going bad.

I have two good 7 digit displays and the six digit is also good. These are hard to find. would you recommend selling these three good displays to fund a full set of matching LEDs? Wolffpac Technology sells a display kit for $135 that looks good. You have to assemble it but that isn't a problem.

Thanks.

#22 6 years ago

It's really up to you if you want to sell the working displays. You might find another project machine that could use them.

There are a few LED display DIY kits now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-diy-led-display-kits-for-classic-ballystern-budget-friendly

#23 6 years ago

One more quick question. I have been working on the lamp sockets and finally have all of them working during the diagnostic test. The three sockets on the left above the eject hole work during diagnostic but do not flash during attract mode or come on when a game starts. Is that by design? Seems strange that playfield section would be dark with no GI lights.

#24 6 years ago

I am reassembling the playfield - this is going to be a nice pin. I cannot for the life of me remember where this part goes. I took lots of pictures but evidently not good enough.

Are the red plastic tubes for the lamps still available on the aftermarket?

Thanks

IMG_2839 (resized).JPGIMG_2839 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#25 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

One more quick question. I have been working on the lamp sockets and finally have all of them working during the diagnostic test. The three sockets on the left above the eject hole work during diagnostic but do not flash during attract mode or come on when a game starts. Is that by design? Seems strange that playfield section would be dark with no GI lights.

there are 4 controlled lamps on that side (one behind the metal down ramp) and yeah it is rather dark normally

Quoted from StratDoc:

I am reassembling the playfield - this is going to be a nice pin. I cannot for the life of me remember where this part goes. I took lots of pictures but evidently not good enough.
Are the red plastic tubes for the lamps still available on the aftermarket?
Thanks

does a lock fit in that hole ? , it may have come out of the back box ( mine is flat though ) I had also thought a spacer for a lock between the coin door outer skin & the inner plate ( again mine has something else in there I forget what )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-solenoid-driver?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.