pinball_124.jpg
pinball_123.jpg
pinball_122.jpg
pinball_120.jpg
pinball_118.jpg
pinball_119.jpg
pinball_116.jpg
#1 13 years ago

Just changed out my first playfield.I was so intimidated but I got it done.It turned out great and I feel like I have a brand new machine.Kiss is next but I might try some things different this time.

pinball_116.jpgpinball_116.jpg pinball_119.jpgpinball_119.jpg pinball_118.jpgpinball_118.jpg pinball_120.jpgpinball_120.jpg

#2 13 years ago

Wow brz great before and after photos - Looks outstanding
did you clear coat it ?

#3 13 years ago

Thanks Autumfade.I replaced the old playfield with a new one.Old playfield was shot.

#4 13 years ago

Looks really good. That lineup in the background ain't so bad either.

#5 13 years ago

Thanks Donjagra

#6 13 years ago

Where did you get your new playfield?

#7 13 years ago

Found it on E-Bay.Some company from Australia was selling it.

#8 13 years ago

I just place an ad for a "High Speed" playfield. It included my city, state and ZIP. Some one "proportedly from the UK" responded. They did not send pics or info, just asked for my mailing address and Phone number, and there english was less than OK. I assumed a scam, and replied asking for pictures. Hope I don't get hacked!

#9 13 years ago

Yea,I assume that any response from the UK is a scam.Everytime I put something up for sale, somebody from the UK wants it right away.Always wanting to do these complicated money transactions and phoney shipping service.I almost bit the first time it happened to me.Had $2500.00 in my hand at Western Union,getting ready to send it to the UK and a friend stopped me just in time.Found out it was definitely a scam.

#10 13 years ago

Had $2500.00 in my hand at Western Union

Wow. you dodged a bullet there...I hope you bought your friend dinner?

Nice job on the playfield swap....That takes guts. good job.

#11 13 years ago

Very nice job brz!

Two things: Where did you get the KISS pf? Can you give more details on your rotisserie?

Thanks

#12 13 years ago

Thanks wesperron.Yeah,It makes me sick to think I was so stupid.I was just so blind because of the exitement of the purchase.
Thanks shock me.The KISS pf also came from E-Bay.The company was called Retro something,from the US,can't remember which state.
The rotisserie was a fairly simple design,having an unfinished helped.I made a frame to fit the playfield out of copper pipe.Screwed the frame to the sides of the playfield.At the ends of the frame are pipes that extend through vertical 2 - 4,s.Screw caps on the ends that draw it in for friction.I'll take some pictures after dinner.

#13 13 years ago

Rotisserie pics

pinball_122.jpgpinball_122.jpg pinball_123.jpgpinball_123.jpg pinball_124.jpgpinball_124.jpg pinball_125.jpgpinball_125.jpg

#14 13 years ago

Cool, I could use a device like that right now with my current project. How is the pf attached to the copper tubing? Did you screw through the pipe into the edge of the plywood?

Thanks

#15 13 years ago

Pre drilled the copper pipe and used sheet rock screws.I think its better to put the side rails on and screw into that.If you try to screw into the plywood and dont hit it on center it may split.

#16 13 years ago

Very nice work! Completely stripping a playfield is a demanding task, the end result is sweet - your machine looks terrific!

#17 13 years ago

Thanks Bill2626,The cabinet needs repainting but thats a part of this hobby I know nothing about.

#18 13 years ago

Painting the cabinets is a whole different subject indeed. I have only done very minor touch-ups on my cabs. I try to purchase machines that don't need allot of paint work, that's not one of my fields of expertise...

Never the less your machine looks great!

#19 13 years ago

Painting and re-stenciling a cabinet isn't too hard a job if you have the patience to do the prep work. Once all the dings and hacks are repaired, it's basically laying down the stencils and spraying the color.

Here's an Eight Ball I did last year. Sorry no before pics, but it was pretty ugly when I started!

IMG_1181.JPGIMG_1181.JPG IMG_1245.JPGIMG_1245.JPG IMG_1275.JPGIMG_1275.JPG IMG_1329.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

#20 13 years ago

Wow! I'll pay you to do mine.

#21 13 years ago

REALLY nice work shock me, Now we know who to turn to for advise.

#22 13 years ago

Hey shock me,is Xenon painted to? If so show me some pics.

#23 13 years ago

Thks Brz for your device - really clever
Congrats to shock_me for repaint cabinets like this - How do you feel the left lane of the Eight Ball
and a Xenon Wow !

Pinside is a great place to share

#24 13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys! It's a great feeling to bring one of these old games back to its former glory!

brz, my Xenon is not repainted. The cabinet is in very nice shape as is. Just a few touch-ups here and there.

lb45, you obviously have some experience with the "dark side" of Bally's Eight Ball . It's a bit of a drain monster at times!

#25 13 years ago

Just Awsome pictures... Makes me want to do all of my playfields too. Does the ball act differently after the playfield swap?? When I play a brand new Stern machine, the ball just acts kind of "squirrely", as if it leaves the flippers spinning and getting "english" like a bowling ball does. I have played both TRS and Pirates of the Caribbean, and it almost acted like there was a magnet just above the flipper drain area, but it could be just normal for a new ball on a glassy new playfield?

#26 13 years ago

I have not noticed any of that which you discribed.

#27 13 years ago

When I play a brand new Stern machine, the ball just acts kind of "squirrely", as if it leaves the flippers spinning and getting "english" like a bowling ball does ...

I have noticed this on occasion when I change out my flipper rubbers. The ball will sometimes come off them with some crazy spin.

#28 13 years ago

shock me - what are you using to spray your cabinets, spray gun? type model - looking to pick up a decent gravity feed gun but not really sure what to get size etc.

#29 13 years ago

fusion301, I have a Devilbiss Starting Line HVLP kit with the two guns included, but I've only used it once so far to clear coat a playfield, (High Speed).

For the cabinet paint job on my Eight Ball I used regular Krylon spray bombs. The result was really nice, but for the base coat it was hard to get nice even coverage because of the crappy cheap nozzels on the cans. My next cab job, I'll likely use my guns

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 10.00
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-playfield-change-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.