Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bdeis61159
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_2019-12-14-16-04-35.png

#1 1 year ago

Purchased a "working" Xenon this weekend. Was super-excited, two games in, the sound shut off. White noise from the speaker, that increases in volume when the pots are turned up, all the test points on the sound boards show the correct voltage. I've looked at past threads related to no sound on Xenon and it seems like a lot of parts being replaced that may or may not be the issue. How do I get started? Something is coming through the speaker, just not the right something. I did swap out the mpu for an alltek from another game, cleaned all the pins on the roms, jiggled the connectors...

#2 1 year ago

The only surefire way to get to the bottom of a sound problem is to use an oscilloscope to trace the signals through the final amplifier. If you don't know audio troubleshooting with a scope, then your best bet for shotgun (guessing) is to start with replacing all the electrolytic caps on the sound board. 9 times out of 10 failed sound on an old Bally is because old electrolytic cap has failed. This is probably your next step based on what you have already investigated.

#3 1 year ago

Big Daddy sells the complete cap kit.

#4 1 year ago

When you hit the 'test' can you tell that it is cycling sounds? You may not be able to hear the sounds themselves, but should hear pauses in the static etc.

Is the white noise constant or only when a sound plays?

It isn't going to be the sound chips and it sounds like you already ruled out the pots and amplifier.

As the others mentioned, if they haven't already been replaced, do the caps first and see if that fixes it.

#5 1 year ago

When I hit the test I could not tell that it was cycling sounds. I ordered the kit from Big Daddy. I've never soldered on a circuit board before, so I'm going to grab a junk one and start practicing. Thanks for the responses and advice, I will update.

1 week later
#6 1 year ago

Update: I just finished soldering in the 4 new caps that came with the kit. It did not come with the 4700uf cap. Anyway, still no sound. Could it be the big capacitor?

#7 1 year ago

I don't know if it matches your symptoms, but I have found the diodes on the Vocalizer board to fail often. CR1, CR2, and CR3. It is worth checking it out.

https://images.pinside.com/9/82/1b/9821b3190f8cc8bc40207f1a8a2d1efbe7e31908.jpg

#8 1 year ago

I'm not 100% sure if that cap being bad would give you your symptoms, but it is always highly suggested it be replaced. If you ordered one and didn't get one, contact him and get one sent. I've bought a few of these sets from him over the years.

If you turn both pots all the way up, are you hearing any high pitched noise pulsing? (just asking because the one I worked on had this symptom), but that one had multiple things wrong with it. If you looked at that thread, there's a bunch of threads here that go over this board as many people have had issues with it. Yes there's a bunch of 'noise' to filter out, but the eventual fixes are described.

Things you can do for free and not wait for parts:

Make sure all your socketed chips are pressed in completely on both boards. I do not recommend removing them as a first step because the pins on these old things can be brittle (which may be something that needs looked at as well).

Go through and reflow the solder on the header pin connections on the back of the boards as well in case of cracked solder.

Validate the output to the speaker cable is connected and wires are good?

Additionally, if you have a spare IDE cable laying around, swap the cable that connects the boards and see if that fixes it. Without both boards talking to each other you won't get any sound.

Unless you have a logic probe at the least, or really know your way around the schematics and voltages, shotgunning easy stuff first is your best bet.

#9 1 year ago

I have pulled and cleaned all of the chips, and tested continuity on the ribbon cable and the speaker wires. I do hear pulsing, but I wouldn't say its high pitched. I looked up how to use a logic probe, looks like something I'm going to have to learn to use.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from lincolnv:

I have pulled and cleaned all of the chips, and tested continuity on the ribbon cable and the speaker wires. I do hear pulsing, but I wouldn't say its high pitched. I looked up how to use a logic probe, looks like something I'm going to have to learn to use.

Unfortunately, a logic probe won't help with a lot of the audio section. You can use it to troubleshoot the digital section, but not the analog output section below.

Screenshot_2019-12-14-16-04-35.png
#11 1 year ago

The Bally repair manual fo 560-3 does help troubleshooting this board. If you replaced the caps, problem is now one of the ic’s most likely.

#12 1 year ago

If you need expected voltages of each chip pin, I can help you there. I graphed out every pin on a working vs. nonworking to track down an issue. Really not enough information for me to say if it is on the digital side or analog side...

I still maintain to change out that last biggest cap though.

1 week later
#13 1 year ago

Finally got back to this. I never thought to look at the vocalizer board. Thank you, QuietEarp. The same three diodes that he showed on his board were burned on my board as well. A quick trip to Radio Shack, some frantic de-soldering and soldering and the sound works great. Thank you all so much for the tips and advice.

#14 1 year ago

I have a similar problem with my Xenon. On some voice responses, she says a few words and then just stops. Sometimes she completed the sentence. Boards needs some cleaning? I hope? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside