Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by lincolnv
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 days ago

Purchased a "working" Xenon this weekend. Was super-excited, two games in, the sound shut off. White noise from the speaker, that increases in volume when the pots are turned up, all the test points on the sound boards show the correct voltage. I've looked at past threads related to no sound on Xenon and it seems like a lot of parts being replaced that may or may not be the issue. How do I get started? Something is coming through the speaker, just not the right something. I did swap out the mpu for an alltek from another game, cleaned all the pins on the roms, jiggled the connectors...

#2 7 days ago

The only surefire way to get to the bottom of a sound problem is to use an oscilloscope to trace the signals through the final amplifier. If you don't know audio troubleshooting with a scope, then your best bet for shotgun (guessing) is to start with replacing all the electrolytic caps on the sound board. 9 times out of 10 failed sound on an old Bally is because old electrolytic cap has failed. This is probably your next step based on what you have already investigated.

#3 7 days ago

Big Daddy sells the complete cap kit.

#4 7 days ago

When you hit the 'test' can you tell that it is cycling sounds? You may not be able to hear the sounds themselves, but should hear pauses in the static etc.

Is the white noise constant or only when a sound plays?

It isn't going to be the sound chips and it sounds like you already ruled out the pots and amplifier.

As the others mentioned, if they haven't already been replaced, do the caps first and see if that fixes it.

#5 6 days ago

When I hit the test I could not tell that it was cycling sounds. I ordered the kit from Big Daddy. I've never soldered on a circuit board before, so I'm going to grab a junk one and start practicing. Thanks for the responses and advice, I will update.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.00
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bedford, NH
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside