Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0933.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just picked up a Xenon with a bad MPU board.
I got a replacement board that tests good and works.
However, I am not sure about all the jumper issues with the ROM chips.
In the photo below my broken board is on the right and new replacement board is on the left.
I have already taken my two ROM chips out and moved them over to the new board on left.
However when I put it in my Xenon I get no green light at all on the board.
Do I need to adjust some jumpers or am I missing something else all together?
I can take closer or better photos as well if that will help determine what is wrong.

IMG_0932.jpg

#2 4 years ago

It depends on the style chips.

My suggestion...order new game ROMs from John Wart.

He uses 2732 chips.

The jumper settings can be found here:

http://www.twobits.com/ballympujumpers.html

#3 4 years ago

If the new board didn't have the right jumper settings for the chips you installed, you more than likely fried those chips.

Order some new ones from John.

thatpinballplace.com

#4 4 years ago

Here's a better link to the proper jumper settings:

http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/35_rom_mod.php

#5 4 years ago

jumper settings for 2732 chips:

2732 EPROMs in U2 and U6:

The following is a comprehensive list of settings for all 36 jumpers on the board, when using 2732 EPROM chips in locations U2 and U6: ("nc" = not connected)

1 nc, 2 nc, 3 nc, 4-13A, 5 nc, 6 nc, 7-8, 8-7, 9 nc 10-11, 11-10, 12-GND, 13 nc, 13A-4, 14 nc, 15 nc, 16 nc, 16A-29, 17 nc, 18 nc, 19 nc, 20 nc, 21 nc, 22 nc, 23 nc, 24 nc, 24A nc, 25 nc, 26 nc, 27 nc, 28 nc, 29-16A, 30 nc, 31-32, 32-31, 33-35, 34 nc, 35-33, 36 nc

#6 4 years ago

Yes, I can see that the new board is not jumpered the same so once you get that done, should be good to go!

#7 4 years ago

He'll still need to order new game ROMs

#8 4 years ago

You have 2716's at U1 & U2 and a 9316a in U6.

#9 4 years ago

OP...keep in mind, with the game ROMs ordered from John, you DON'T want to make your new board jumper setting to match your old board. You'll want to make the jumper settings match what I posted above.

#10 4 years ago

Don't worry, you didn't fry your chips. I can look at my Xenon, which I believe is an all-original board, and let you know what the jumpers should be.

#11 4 years ago

So far, in the early Bally games I own, I only have game ROMs in U2 and U6

I'm not sure about the ROM you have in U1...I'm not familiar w/ Xenon. I had a board that I swapped w/ another...it too, had a chip in the U1. John told me to remove it and leave it out of the game. This was for a Lost World, which doesn't use the U1 chip. Once again though, Xenon might use that chip. I don't know.

John will set you straight though....he really knows his stuff.

#12 4 years ago

From what I've been told, the original CPU board, and it's jumper settings have nothing to do with the jumper settings the OP needs to be using. The jumper settings are all driven by the chip style used in the game ROMs.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks. Great info. I will get with john

#14 4 years ago

Xenon had more code and required the additional chip at U1.

#15 4 years ago

Now that you mention it...I think the board I swapped into my Lost World was out of a Xenon. If that's the case, the game ROM set will consist of the U1, U2 and U6

#16 4 years ago

I'm still getting used to working on these old Ballys. I'm more familiar w/ system 11 and WPC games.

#17 4 years ago

He does not need new ROM's if he jumpers the board right or if not are not comfortable doing the jumpering the order those for how the new board is configured.

#18 4 years ago

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying there Pbpins.

#19 4 years ago

He's saying if he doesn't want to bother with soldering new jumpers, get new ROMs to match the way the board is currently configured.

#20 4 years ago

I put my U1 and U2 chips back in the original boards so I can ask John the easiest way to make it work without having to re jumper the board.
Does he have a Pinside Account or is it easier to go through his web page. (I have not visited it yet, but will soon).
Just for fun here are both boards with everything back in place.
I had only moved U1 and U2 over as I thought those were the only two Game Roms. (I am a System 35 noob).

IMG_0933.jpg

#21 4 years ago

Looks like John sells 2732's
Here are a couple of close up photos in case someone can tell if this new board is jumpered for the ones I can add to cart from his site.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

#22 4 years ago

No, you'll have to change your jumpers....for starters, E12 needs to jump to ground.

Give me a call...I sent you a PM

#23 4 years ago

If it were me I would just change the jumpers on the new board and use your existing chips. If you don't want to mess with jumpers I could change the jumpers for you and test it in my Xenon. I can burn chips too and have 2732s on hand if for some reason your ROMs are bad.

#24 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has replied in this thread.
I have sent an email to John @ Thatpinballplace.
I am starting there but will certainly keep everyones awesome offer in mind.
You guys are the best and are what make our hobby as great as it is.
I really appreciate all the great info that appeared here in such a short amount of time.

#25 4 years ago

Anyone know Johns Pinside name?
No response so far from his web page email.

#28 4 years ago

With new ROMs you still need to change the jumpers.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

With new ROMs you still need to change the jumpers.

You are correct.
I finally have this all straightened out.
Got a quick education on Stern and Bally system 35's.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
3,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Hermosa Beach, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside