• Latest reply 1 year ago by silencecm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 4.42.34 PM (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I'm troubleshooting an issue with my Xenon. This is the first time troubleshooting a solenoid problem.

The issue:
Immediately after powering on the game, the left slingshot randomly fires sporadically. Sometimes it fires "quick and soft" while other times it fires nonstop and blows the playfield fuse (if I'm unable to turn the machine off in time). When powering off, the sling returns to its normal resting position.

Notes:
* This issue is occurs before starting a game, while the machine is idle.
* The issue can continue to occur randomly as the game sits idle.
* After Xenon is powered on, the top saucer solenoid fires, followed by the side saucer (to return any potentially missing balls). It almost appears that the left sling begins firing, as described, while the side saucer fires during startup (might be unrelated).
* No other solenoids are firing unexpectedly, the issue is isolated to the left sling.

What I've tried:
* I've removed the left sling coil from the machine:
** Tested it, installed a new diode, all look well.
** Inspected the coil sleeve and mechs, it doesn't appear to be a mechanical issue.
** The switches appear to be working as expected, I've blocked them while testing. The game isn't running while this issue happens, I assume the switches are unrelated
* Using the schematic, I've located the associated components on the solenoid driver board. Keep in mind I've very new to this and have little to no electrical experience.
** The J5 wiring harness appears to be securely attached as expected.
** The R31 and R32 resistors are reading 120ohms and 310ohms (consistent with the other components on the board).
** The Q11 transistor is reading 500ohms and 800ohms (consistent with the other transistors).

Questions:
* Can I test the CR11 diode while it's on the board?
* Can I test the C21 capacitor while it's on the board? I don't have an ESR meter on hand.
* Can you test a diode while it's on a coil?

Any advice on what else I can try, or what might be causing this, would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 4.42.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-06 at 4.42.34 PM (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

Did you do this test with the rubber off?

#3 1 year ago

I just replaced the rubbers. I will try to reproduce the issue with the rubbers off and respond back.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from silencecm:

I just replaced the rubbers. I will try to reproduce the issue with the rubbers off and respond back.

New rubber and the problem cropped up? You almost certainly have that switch closed.

#5 1 year ago

Definitely DON'T overthink things.... you just replaced a rubber and now, suddenly, the coil is firing randomly! This isn't coincidence.

I would put a piece of paper or thin cardboard between the switch contacts - that will prevent the switch closing no matter what the gap is - still firing at power up?

Of course it's not, re-gap the switch contacts to suit your NEW rubber as this will almost certainly have changed things.

Don't go diving into suspected board faults when the most obvious is staring you in the face.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses.

The issue was occurring long before the rubber was replaced. I mentioned blocking the switches in my troubleshooting. Would a closed switch contact even trigger a solenoid to fire prior to starting a game? The other sling doesn't fire when the switches are closed, before starting a game.

Here is a video of the issue, no rubber, switches open: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kpsKh106dGtFmNp44fhXpyshWR6jzKgL/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit: a note, I mentioned the sling returning to normal after powering the machine off. This was with rubber on. Without rubber, you can see it remains out.

#7 1 year ago

Does the switch have a disc capacitor across it? These are known to cause similar problems. You could just cut it off for testing purposes.

#8 1 year ago

If the coil fires when a game is not being played it's not a rubber problem. There are 3 suspects here...

*The Darlington Q11 - probably not as I have never seen one go intermittent like this
*U3 pre driver - Again not see an intermittent like this
*U1Maybe. The output is pin 13. Normal is high and it goes low when selected. You may wish to check R70. Try holding the output of R70 to 5v. That should stop the coil from firing if U1 is flakey.

#9 1 year ago

Thanks @bigal56, these are helpful tips.
I'll have time to continue my investigation next week. I'll be sure to follow up with my findings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-left-sling-fires-shortly-after-powering-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.