Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wdennie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I have a very odd problem with my updated xenon. In the "test all lights flashing" it is very clear that all the LEDs turn on and fully off correctly. However, during game play the playfield lights are all partially on (really low level). Now when they are supposed to truly go on then they are bright on, and when off they are instead dim on. I have a new Altek MPU and lamp board in there so that's not it. Clearly there has to either be a floating ground or some low level voltage sitting on these LEDs that isn't enough to turn on a regular lamp. One other odd thing, when I am in display test mode (using LED updated score displays), and it is transitioning between1..2..3...on all displays, all the playfield lights briefly flash at each transition. Again this suggests some grounding or load issue to me when I've dealt with it in other electronics. Also I've seen sometimes that the leak current on the transitor in off state still enough to turn an LED partially on. But I would presume with the Altek board that this shouldn't be an issue.

#2 6 years ago

Altek's lamp driver board needs to be configured for LEDs first. I believe out of the box it is defaulted for incandescent lights.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Altek's lamp driver board needs to be configured for LEDs first. I believe out of the box it is defaulted for incandescent lights.

Ah, thank you so much. Don't know how I missed that one.

#4 6 years ago

Let me know if you're able to solve this one, been hearing a similar issue popping up with a few customers lately with my LED adapters, and not sure what's going on.

-Hans

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Ah, thank you so much. Don't know how I missed that one.

Actually I do know how I missed this one. I realized that unlike the Altek MPU that the Lamp driver boards I've received from Marco and Cointaker don't actually come with instruction manual. I assumed it was just install and ready to go

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Let me know if you're able to solve this one, been hearing a similar issue popping up with a few customers lately with my LED adapters, and not sure what's going on.
-Hans

So this isn't my particular issue as I screwed up on the Altek board install. However the basic concept (not trying to be pedantic if you likely already know this) is that all switch controlled transistors have a minimum leak current even when off. Normally for an incandescent bulb no problem as the leak current isnt enough to turn it on. Not so with an LED and thus it's possible they never quite turn completely off. When you are down in the barely activated range it will be barely visible and flicker. Usually from what I've seen it implies a floating ground. And from what I've seen of the Altek install that seems to be why they need an additional jumper wire installed when LEDs are installed. But I haven't gone thru their Circuitry to be sure

#7 6 years ago

What I believe is going on is the feature lamp bus on the lamp driver board goes high impedance when not connected to the 6vdc feature lamp bus. Then when a SCR turns on a connection to ground, adjacent lamps get a leaking path to ground through two resistors in the network.

I disagree with Alltek's position their lamp board can be run with no feature lamp connection and regular bulbs. Specially on games that use solenoid expander relays.

1 year later
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Reviving this post to find out if anyone knows if the Alltek Lamp board can drive both LEDs and incandescant bulbs.

I obtained a partially shopped out Xenon that has about half its playfield converted to LED. some stay on all the time, some wont go on at all.
thanks!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Reviving this post to find out if anyone knows if the Alltek Lamp board can drive both LEDs and incandescant bulbs.
I obtained a partially shopped out Xenon that has about half its playfield converted to LED. some stay on all the time, some wont go on at all.
thanks!

I've had 2 Xenon's that both had issues with an Alltek lamp board and LED's. Even with the jumper connected, I had a dim glow on feature lamps when they should be off. Installed an OE lamp board and I just used LED's in the GI lamps and incandescants in the feature lamps.

#10 5 years ago

did you also replace the axillary lamp board with an alltek, and add the jumper?
I have a Xenon with all alltek boards and led lights with no problems, and yes you should
be able to run both leds and incandescent bulbs together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-led-wont-turn-fully-off?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.