Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Trying to finish up my Xenon frankenstein project and I am having a problem with the sound. It works fine for a while and after it warms up the sound cuts out. Speech works all the time. I can turn off the machine for a while and then it works fine.

I also have several lamps that don't work, well they work fine in the test but during game play they do not light. Can't figure it out as I am more familiar with the Lamp matrix that Williams has.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Chris

#2 7 years ago

Bump for the morning crowd.... thanks!

#3 7 years ago

Your sound issue is most likely the caps on the 2 boards. Get a cap kit from GPE and see if that issue goes away.

Your lamp issue will likely be one of 4 things, bad SCR on the lamp board that corresponds to the lamp that is out, a bad socket, bad connectors/header pins or a bad lamp decoder chip. Do you have any lamps that stay on all the time?

#4 7 years ago

I have already replaced the caps! And from GPE also!

And the lamps work in the lamp test just not during game play. And I have activated everything to light those lamps!

Thanks!

#5 7 years ago

For the lamps check MPU J1 connectors and the lamp driver input for issues like cracked header pins, wires loose in IDC plug, lack of continuity. One floating line can cause banks of lights to not work. The decoder chips on the lamp board are robust and almost never fail.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks Dude, I will try that when I get home! Any ideas on the sound cutting out?

#7 7 years ago

Bad connectors/header pins on the sound boards is the usual culprit.

#8 7 years ago

If you turn on and off the game immediately after it as warmed up and the sound is still there, but then after turning it off and letting it cool off for a while the sound returns, that would likely be a temperature intermittent. Give the cables the first examination & also check all your power supply voltages.

If it's not the cables or power supply, I would then get the freeze mist out and spray components one at a time in the audio output chain to see if a specific component or area of the audio power amplifier is sensitive to the temperature and begins to work again.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks wayout! It does require a cooling off period, and I have replaced all the connectors with trifurcons so I will try the freeze spray, can I just use compressed air cans turned upside down?

Also I have checked the voltages and they match the schematic callouts...

Thanks again!

#10 7 years ago

Feel the IC's with your hand when the sound cuts out to see if there is one that is much hotter than the others, it could also be the sockets that the ROMs/RAM/Processor is seated in.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from zeiram:

can I just use compressed air cans turned upside down?

Yes.

#12 7 years ago

As Xenon75 said, you can feel the ICs. On some electronics certain ones do get warm, not sure about these specifically. If you pull away a finger because it burns, yeah that's surely bad. But also it might not be an IC. Could be a different component (regulator, cap, transistor, resistor etc..) that could be failing when it gets warm. A failing component begins to pass more current, this makes it get hotter which in turn makes it pass more current, and so on. The formal name for this is "thermal runaway"

The freeze spray is a much more controlled and intense cold, so not certain that the compressed air will work but you can certainly try it if that is all you have access to. Another thing we do with a temp failure that takes some time before it happens is the reverse, hitting components with the heat gun a little to accelerate the temperature. This is a lot more difficult and a lot more risky though.

Good luck, let us know.

#13 7 years ago

Problems solved! Though they were both silly! An awesome friend discovered the solutions

Sound problems were just the 6821. (Even though I had a put a "new" one on)

Lamp issues a non issue. They work just didn't get the features activated during game play.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Chris

2 years later
#14 5 years ago

Just want to share my Xenon sound glitch experience to help the next guy. All sounds worked including voice until after about 15 minute warmup. Then the "Xenon" sound file would distort and garble. I went ahead and replaced the caps on the sound board. I found that the Vocalizer board had been repaired before. It had a few new diodes and some board trace problems. I pulled each ROM chip one at a time and cleaned the pins with 600 grit. I found two chips with soldered on pins. I resoldered these. Everthing is working great now. I hate pulling those chips. Just remember to be gentle and patient. Hope that helps.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside