Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0300 (resized).JPG
IMG_0287 (resized).JPG
IMG_0284 (resized).JPG
IMG_0271 (resized).JPG
20170222_071336 (resized).jpg
20170222_071347 (resized).jpg
20170222_071322 (resized).jpg
IMG_0224 (resized).JPG
IMG_0222 (resized).JPG
IMG_0140 (resized).JPG
IMG_0111 (resized).JPG
IMG_0109 (resized).JPG
IMG_0107 (resized).JPG
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_0097 (resized).JPG
IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tommy-player.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Xenon

ok, I admit, I am in heaven right now. Found one of my wishlist games just posted on CL yesterday, a xenon. The story goes that the owner bought it new and has had it in storage for over 20 years (the attached pic shows it as found. sure looks like 20 years of dust on it!!). While I am skeptical of owner claims, this one has barely a mark on it, just one small wear mark on the playfield about the size of a dime. Otherwise in great shape. Cant wait to get this one unloaded and cleaned up. Will keep everyone posted on what I find.

image2 (resized).JPG

image5 (resized).JPG

#3 2 years ago

My feeling exactly!! Got it for a song and couldn't believe my luck. Just one problem...cant unload it yet to look at it as I didn't tell the wife I bought it. She wants me to sell my strikes and spares before I get another one. So for now it under wraps in the back of the truck till I can sneak it in.

#5 2 years ago

talk about a time capsule! Just opened the coin door just to peek inside. I felt like an archeologist and took some pictures to document everything. In the pic you can see the original paperwork in the brown folder on the left side, the service manual is in the back (likely where it fell when I tipped it on end to move). And in the upper right you can see the ORIGINAL rolled up advertisement poster that came with the machine.

OK, for some of you this may be an everyday occurrence but for someone just getting into this it made me feel like Howard Carter peeking into King Tuts tomb the first time. So cool.

And there was the original coin box with $16.25 still in it. Coins date from 1963 to 1985. So the story that it has been in storage that long seems to be true.

image2 2 (resized).JPG

IMG_0089 (resized).JPG

#8 2 years ago

Keys were lost years ago so the owner had no idea what was inside. He joked that there may be more money in the coin box than I was paying for the whole machine! (I wish that was true)

#10 2 years ago

You are right. The owner didn't know how long, he just said "over 20". but based upon the coins I think it was actually in storage over 30.

#12 2 years ago

Ok, now I wish this came out of a bar and not someone's house!!

#13 2 years ago

Sold my strikes and spares today so I can finally tell the wife I bought the xenon and get it unloaded from the truck. Thank god for tinted windows so she never saw it in the back for the past week!

its dirty but its almost perfect. One small wear spot on the play field. original manuals and poster inside the cabinet. lets see how it cleans up!

IMG_0092 (resized).JPG

IMG_0094 (resized).JPG

IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

IMG_0097 (resized).JPG

IMG_0100 (resized).JPG

IMG_0107 (resized).JPG

IMG_0109 (resized).JPG

IMG_0111 (resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago

and yes, both original keys for the head were in the cabinet. too bad the guy drilled out the lock in the head before checking inside. would have been nice to have both original locks. but hey, thats what Marco is for!

#18 2 years ago

All disassembled and the playfield waxed. Just waiting on the playfield protector from frank in Germany.

I ordered all new posts and caps from Marco. almost ordered red ones as the ones on the machine had faded to pink. Who would have guessed they started out blue and faded to pink? Glad I looked it up on the forum and found out they were blue. You guys saved me again!

Marco was out of the red lamp sleeves. Anyone know of another source?

IMG_0140 (resized).JPG

#22 2 years ago

I have looked at pinball resource but their website isn't very user friendly and they don't accept credit card payments. So pretty inconvenient. I wish that would change as I think they have a much better selection and pricing than Marco.

#31 2 years ago

after 30+ years in storage the batteries of course leaded and ruined the board. Didn't even mess with it, just dropped in an altec and it fired right up. Only did a quick self test and everything seems to be working perfectly.

I am curious on what to do with the posters, keep them rolled up like they came out of the factory, or have them unrolled and professional preserved/framed? I know with cars keeping it all original is what collectors want. restoring them actually lowers the value.

Or with over 11k Xenons made are the posters not that valuable either way?

#32 2 years ago

leaked...damn autocorrect!

#38 2 years ago

any recommendations on who to send the board to so I can try and save it?

2 weeks later
#40 2 years ago

Finally unrolled the poster and SURPRISE, there are two of them!!

Reverse rolling them now to flatten them and remove the ripples. Then will frame.

Ok, I'll ask the question(s)... what to do with them? What are they worth?

IMG_0222 (resized).JPG

IMG_0224 (resized).JPG

#42 2 years ago

Anyone have an estimate of their value? Keeping one and will sell the other. Maybe someone will want it to go with their xenon?

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Right, but I was interested in the pink ones.

sorry, I already threw them out. should have known to keep them in case another insider needed them

1 month later
#54 2 years ago

Finally finished. Replaced all the rubber and the rubber caps for the plastics. Got a playfield protector from frank in Germany to protect the almost pristine playfield paint. (still hoping they will do one for my strikes and spares...are you listening frank??!!)

Played it for the first time today. So much fun!!

IMG_0271 (resized).JPG

IMG_0284 (resized).JPG

IMG_0287 (resized).JPG

IMG_0300 (resized).JPG

#58 2 years ago

The wife thinks now that I finished the Xenon that her car can go back in the garage. Guess she forgot the strikes and spares hiding under the drop cloth in the pic waiting its turn to take over the entire garage. Sorry BMW, relegated to the driveway for a few months more!

#59 2 years ago

Archived after 5 days
Sold elsewhere
Machine - For Sale
Xenon Archived
Fully restored (full original status) “Selling my xenon that was a garage find that I posted on the forum (see link below). Will include the original full-size advertising poster that I found inside the machine that is...”
2019-01-12
Boiling Springs, SC
Now that I have it completed I listed it on the market. See ad here

#63 2 years ago

I was fortunate to have found 3 strikes and spares over the past 2 years that needed to be redone. I normally take about 6 months to repaint the cabinet and refinish the rest of the machine to get it back to almost new condition. When I get one done I keep it downstairs in the basement "man cave" to play while I work on the next one. Sold the first two S&S after finishing them and had just done the teardown of the 3rd S&S when I lucked into the xenon. I had to put work on the 3rd S&S on hold while I grabbed the xenon (like who can blame me since it was so pristine!!).

Unfortunately we are moving from DC to SC this summer so need to sell the xenon and finish S&S #3 soon so we aren't moving them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln, NE
$ 90.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tommy-player.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside