Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0300 (resized).JPG
IMG_0287 (resized).JPG
IMG_0284 (resized).JPG
IMG_0271 (resized).JPG
20170222_071336 (resized).jpg
20170222_071347 (resized).jpg
20170222_071322 (resized).jpg
IMG_0224 (resized).JPG
IMG_0222 (resized).JPG
IMG_0140 (resized).JPG
IMG_0111 (resized).JPG
IMG_0109 (resized).JPG
IMG_0107 (resized).JPG
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_0097 (resized).JPG
IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Xenon

ok, I admit, I am in heaven right now. Found one of my wishlist games just posted on CL yesterday, a xenon. The story goes that the owner bought it new and has had it in storage for over 20 years (the attached pic shows it as found. sure looks like 20 years of dust on it!!). While I am skeptical of owner claims, this one has barely a mark on it, just one small wear mark on the playfield about the size of a dime. Otherwise in great shape. Cant wait to get this one unloaded and cleaned up. Will keep everyone posted on what I find.

image2 (resized).JPG

image5 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Oh Dude... Congrats!

-Brian

#3 2 years ago

My feeling exactly!! Got it for a song and couldn't believe my luck. Just one problem...cant unload it yet to look at it as I didn't tell the wife I bought it. She wants me to sell my strikes and spares before I get another one. So for now it under wraps in the back of the truck till I can sneak it in.

#4 2 years ago

Congratulations!
The jealousy runs deep in my house now...lol. If you need, I can just pop up north a state and store it for you in my truck. Just sayin......

#5 2 years ago

talk about a time capsule! Just opened the coin door just to peek inside. I felt like an archeologist and took some pictures to document everything. In the pic you can see the original paperwork in the brown folder on the left side, the service manual is in the back (likely where it fell when I tipped it on end to move). And in the upper right you can see the ORIGINAL rolled up advertisement poster that came with the machine.

OK, for some of you this may be an everyday occurrence but for someone just getting into this it made me feel like Howard Carter peeking into King Tuts tomb the first time. So cool.

And there was the original coin box with $16.25 still in it. Coins date from 1963 to 1985. So the story that it has been in storage that long seems to be true.

image2 2 (resized).JPG

IMG_0089 (resized).JPG

#6 2 years ago

Wow, owner didn't even empty coin box? Nice find!!

#7 2 years ago

Awesome find, I hope I am as lucky in my Xenon search. The poster and the quarters are the icing on the cake.

#8 2 years ago

Keys were lost years ago so the owner had no idea what was inside. He joked that there may be more money in the coin box than I was paying for the whole machine! (I wish that was true)

#9 2 years ago

Wow. Nice find.
Are you sure you don't mean 30 years?

#10 2 years ago

You are right. The owner didn't know how long, he just said "over 20". but based upon the coins I think it was actually in storage over 30.

#11 2 years ago

Funny you say that about money and the coin box. Years ago I bought several machines from a bar owner who lost the keys to one of the games. He said there were probably a lot of quarters in it, but he didn't have time or cared to find out. The game didn't make any sounds like coins in the coin box. I paid him his $500 for the games, loaded and didn't think about it. Bought these is the winter and just stored them in my garage. In the spring, i drilled the lock out of the back door (coin door had one of those theft proof locks that are a PIA to drill. I think there were like 30.00 on the floor of the cab. So, I was happy. Coin box didn't rattle a bit. Well, disassembled the mount for he box and pulled it out...it made no noise because it was jammed tight with quarters all the way into the mechs! Game couldn't have been playable because credits couldn't register when coins were put in. Counted over $800 in quarters. Wish that stuff happened more often.

#12 2 years ago

Ok, now I wish this came out of a bar and not someone's house!!

#13 2 years ago

Sold my strikes and spares today so I can finally tell the wife I bought the xenon and get it unloaded from the truck. Thank god for tinted windows so she never saw it in the back for the past week!

its dirty but its almost perfect. One small wear spot on the play field. original manuals and poster inside the cabinet. lets see how it cleans up!

IMG_0092 (resized).JPG

IMG_0094 (resized).JPG

IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

IMG_0097 (resized).JPG

IMG_0100 (resized).JPG

IMG_0107 (resized).JPG

IMG_0109 (resized).JPG

IMG_0111 (resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago

and yes, both original keys for the head were in the cabinet. too bad the guy drilled out the lock in the head before checking inside. would have been nice to have both original locks. but hey, thats what Marco is for!

#15 2 years ago

Check those coins, 64 back are silver.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-player:

And there was the original coin box with $16.25 still in it. Coins date from 1963 to 1985.

I believe most quarters 1964 and older, are mostly silver, and worth a few bucks each. So you may want to separate those out.

#17 2 years ago

Nice score enjoy that should clean up nice.

#18 2 years ago

All disassembled and the playfield waxed. Just waiting on the playfield protector from frank in Germany.

I ordered all new posts and caps from Marco. almost ordered red ones as the ones on the machine had faded to pink. Who would have guessed they started out blue and faded to pink? Glad I looked it up on the forum and found out they were blue. You guys saved me again!

Marco was out of the red lamp sleeves. Anyone know of another source?

IMG_0140 (resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago

Great find, dude!

#20 2 years ago

I really dig the art on the play field on this game, definitely a nice find. I'd consider that one a keeper.

#21 2 years ago

Marco was out of the red lamp sleeves. Anyone know of another source?

Pinball resource has those. Much better vendor than Marcos IMHO

#22 2 years ago

I have looked at pinball resource but their website isn't very user friendly and they don't accept credit card payments. So pretty inconvenient. I wish that would change as I think they have a much better selection and pricing than Marco.

#23 2 years ago

I have looked at pinball resource but their website isn't very user friendly and they don't accept credit card payments. So pretty inconvenient. I wish that would change as I think they have a much better selection and pricing than Marco.

There pricing is cheap because they dont spend a lot of money on maintaining a large website and dont have to pay for credit card and debit services. Plus they have better selection and better quality then everyone else.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

I believe most quarters 1964 and older, are mostly silver, and worth a few bucks each. So you may want to separate those out.

1963 and 1964 quarters are in fact 90% silver. Spot price today is about $3.1919 each. They are worth more intact than melted. Same holds true with the copper penny (half-of-1982 and older).

A lot of people don't grasp that concept but the reason is because coins have a predetermined weight and purity, which is much easier to rely upon and authenticate, over an unknown, melted chunk of metal.

In addition to that, it's also illegal to destroy US currently and attempt to resell it.

#25 2 years ago

So pretty inconvenient.

Just put in your order. When it comes, send a check. Bingo Bango.

#26 2 years ago

The best part is your playfield didnt yellow or discolor. That field is worth getting restored, it's not alot of work

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

When it comes, send a check

People still use checks? I'm sort of kidding. I haven't ordered any checks in 10 years, if we need one I have my wife write it.

It does annoy me how you can't just order online with a nice modern website and payment gateway. He's got great parts and selection but I just don't want to deal with those extra steps, so I've paid more to get the same thing elsewhere.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

People still use checks? I'm sort of kidding. I haven't ordered any checks in 10 years, if we need one I have my wife write it.
It does annoy me how you can't just order online with a nice modern website and payment gateway. He's got great parts and selection but I just don't want to deal with those extra steps, so I've paid more to get the same thing elsewhere.

If you have online banking, I'd bet you could send a check without even finding a checkbook. I did this for PBR as well as Bob Roberts. I set them up as a bill payment, just put in the name and address. Took seconds. When I got my invoice from PBR, I 'paid bill', just entering an amount and in the note putting the invoice #. Took about as long as logging into my banking site.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

If you have online banking, I'd bet you could send a check without even finding a checkbook.

That's a great idea man, I see people complain about his ordering system all the time. That could be an decent workaround for those people.

#30 2 years ago

Awesome find. Any idea if it fires up? If the batteries nuked the MPU make sure you have Energizer or Duracell honor their warranty!

So...what'd ya pay for it?

#31 2 years ago

after 30+ years in storage the batteries of course leaded and ruined the board. Didn't even mess with it, just dropped in an altec and it fired right up. Only did a quick self test and everything seems to be working perfectly.

I am curious on what to do with the posters, keep them rolled up like they came out of the factory, or have them unrolled and professional preserved/framed? I know with cars keeping it all original is what collectors want. restoring them actually lowers the value.

Or with over 11k Xenons made are the posters not that valuable either way?

#32 2 years ago

leaked...damn autocorrect!

#33 2 years ago

Good to hear it fired up!! Love Xenon

#34 2 years ago

Xenon is one of my favorite games! If you have the poster and you're going to keep the game...frame it and put it on the wall.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

If you have online banking, I'd bet you could send a check without even finding a checkbook. I did this for PBR as well as Bob Roberts. I set them up as a bill payment, just put in the name and address. Took seconds. When I got my invoice from PBR, I 'paid bill', just entering an amount and in the note putting the invoice #. Took about as long as logging into my banking site.

That's what I do, no big deal

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

In addition to that, it's also illegal to destroy US currently and attempt to resell it.

Do you mean coinage? It is illegal only if 1.) it is done it fraudulently (such as altering a date to make it appear to be worth more), or 2.) if it is a penny or a nickel. Silver quarters? Melt (and sell) away!

http://www.answers.com/Q/Is_melting_silver_coins_legal

#37 2 years ago

ruined the board

Hopefully not beyond repair by an expert though - I'm always picky about trying to keep and preserve the original boards, especially if serial numbers match on the others, which I suspect yours probably does. Seems like you have a nice original condition game for the most part aside from that. I'd probably keep the board and see if anyone can fix it. But in the meantime it's awesome you're up and running.

#38 2 years ago

any recommendations on who to send the board to so I can try and save it?

#39 2 years ago

I'd take some pics front and back of the damage and talk with chrishibler - he's fixed a few boards for me with damage from batteries leaking and I've never had any problems.

2 weeks later
#40 2 years ago

Finally unrolled the poster and SURPRISE, there are two of them!!

Reverse rolling them now to flatten them and remove the ripples. Then will frame.

Ok, I'll ask the question(s)... what to do with them? What are they worth?

IMG_0222 (resized).JPG

IMG_0224 (resized).JPG

#41 2 years ago

Great score xenon one of the best back glassess , try a tube shot ...

#42 2 years ago

Anyone have an estimate of their value? Keeping one and will sell the other. Maybe someone will want it to go with their xenon?

#43 2 years ago

What'd ya do with the pink posts? Did you toss them already? :\ Bet they weren't even in bad condition, and they're such an odd item would be fun to find a use for them. AFAIK nobody makes that exact style post anymore, yeah?

#44 2 years ago

Highly suggest Clive at The Coinop Cauldron for board work. Very professional, communicates well and is fairly priced. Clive all the way!

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What'd ya do with the pink posts? Did you toss them already? :\ Bet they weren't even in bad condition, and they're such an odd item would be fun to find a use for them. AFAIK nobody makes that exact style post anymore, yeah?

The posts are originally blue and turn pinkish with time and heat. The Pinball Resource sells them in blue.

Yves

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

The posts are originally blue and turn pinkish with time and heat. The Pinball Resource sells them in blue.
Yves

Right, but I was interested in the pink ones.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Right, but I was interested in the pink ones.

sorry, I already threw them out. should have known to keep them in case another insider needed them

#48 2 years ago

im changing out my pinkish posts out this weekend if someone wants them pm me of there going in the trash

Quoted from Frax:Right, but I was interested in the pink ones.

#49 2 years ago

My Xenon garage find this week. Fired up after I put it back together too!

20170222_071322 (resized).jpg

20170222_071347 (resized).jpg

20170222_071336 (resized).jpg

#50 2 years ago

Looks like you got 'pinkeye' also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Adelphi, MD
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside