Xenon Experts Help Weird Problem

By Rascal-911

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I can not seem to find the problem with my Xenon. Any help would be greatly appreciated to solve this head-scratcher.
Basically when you have a captured ball in the lower saucer and the second ball goes into play, the first time you hit any of the four thumper bumpers with ball 2, it will eject the captured ball when it should hold it till you collect 3 more top saucers. If I manually go through the 3 saucer shots it will proceed normally and put second ball into play, but hit any thumper bumper and the captured ball flies out.
I am running an Alltek MPU with an original solenoid driver board. I've been checking switches, diodes, and any possible bad wiring, switch test shows 0 codes, and I just can't figure this out.

#2 7 years ago

If a ball is NOT captured, does the saucer eject solenoid fire anyway when a pop bumper is hit/fires? Just during regular gameplay?

Does the saucer fire along with bumpers in solenoid test?

-scott

#3 7 years ago

It only fires side saucer when ball is captures and second ball hits a thumper bumper. All solenoids fire in order during test and there are 0 stuck switches indicated.

#4 7 years ago

Could Be a bad switch compacitor. For the switch right here before the saucer in the chamber.
If one ball drains does it end the ball?(bonus count). Does the moto value increase when this happens?

#5 7 years ago

Sometimes my Xenon does the same thing. Following along to find out whats causing it.

#6 7 years ago

In switch test mode, do each of the pop bumper switches only register when pressed?

For that matter, do all of the switches only register themselves in test mode when pressed.

Sounds like a matrix issue.

#7 7 years ago

When the ball kicks out, if I loose the ball I can still have the second in play until I loose one, and it will end that turn with the second ball still in play. It thinks it is still captured. If I can recapture the first ball again it will continue to save it until I get the third top saucer where it proceeds normally with Exit Ball routine, but if I hit another thumper bumper it will continue to fire out of lower saucer. Very odd.
If the solenoid driver board was bad would it act normal in all other conditions except during captured ball?

#8 7 years ago

My guess is that switch above the held ball at the side eject hole is closing with jet bumper action. That switch will eject the held ball, so 2 balls are not at that location after going through the tube . I just looked at the switch matrix and the switch is #01. Check to make sure the switch contacts are not too close or maybe a bad diode . Good Luck

#9 7 years ago

If I manually capture ball and then touch thumper bumper it will kick out automatically and the switch above the lower saucer has normal looking gap. It doesn't appear to be an issue with that switch tripping due to vibration/movement.

#10 7 years ago

Can you go into switch test and hit the playfield in multiple places to see if it registers any switches?

#11 7 years ago

Boiled down it's one of two issues.
The switch above the saucer is gettin miss read.
The selonoid is getting fired when it shouldn't be.

Pick a route and start diag. Do you have another Bally/stern with a compatible selonoid driver board? Or test that transistor. Or replace that transistor and the cap on the board. Those caps can go bad and cause goofy stuff to happen.

Disconnect onenor both wires to that switch. retest. That cap can also cause troubles. They are cheap and could just be replaced.

#12 7 years ago

No amount of movement or hitting it will trigger it, the saucer solenoid. The only trigger I have found is during ball capture and hitting a thumper bumper (any of the 4). This machine had this issue when I bought it and got put on the back burner for awhile but now it is like a mission to make her work right. Takes all the fun away when it miss-functions.

I am not sure if it is related, but randomly usually once a game, on different switches, I get a credit award plus the extra credit crack.

My xenon has brain damage. I may have to do a solenoid driver board swap from Elektra, should be the same.

#13 7 years ago

OK, I think I have that one problem rectified. it appears there was a wire at the switch that was just barely holding on, I re-soldered and tried it out and ball eject appeared normal with no kick out when thumpers were hit. So I put the glass back on at tried a new game and now it constantly resets balls. This has to be a switch issue so I will do some more testing and see if I can get past the next issue.

Thanks all for the input. There is a learning curve fixing these things. Appreciate the help, thanks.
Edit note There seems to be another wiring issue in the coin door. Not sure exactly, the problem seems to have fixed itself when I opened the door. They are fussy machines apparently. If it happens more often I will have to look into that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-experts-help-weird-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.