Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230304_185226 (resized).jpg
20230304_185219 (resized).jpg
20230304_185136 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chas10e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#392 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Pinsomniac:

Looking for the Guide Wires for the lower flipper feed. Mine snapped and I haven't found any that are the right size. Any ideas other than bending my own?

I did the same thing on mine, I happened to have a Fireball Home Edition and the rails were an exact match ( not sure what the part number would be or what other tables would be the same )

note: I JUST SWAPPED the lower half with the little bend on it
ebay.com link: Bally Fireball 76 Pinball Machine Home Ed Playfield Metal Ball Guides Wires

2 months later
#434 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't know what suppliers you have in Europe but you can buy rubber ring kits specific to the machine and maybe add one larger one for the post in the tube shot capture area. Bulbs are all 44 or 47, you can use either one but most owners have switched to 47s as they use less power, generate less heat but are slightly dimmer than the 44s.

I initially went the #47 route to "save power & heat" BUT using #44 lamps were noticeably brighter I did get some LED cool white lamps and only used them under the pops at first then did the "controlled lamps" above the playfield. the tube shot strip uses #2181 indicator lamps soldered to the light board there (according to the manual) ... I've seen other machines with a colored LED diode used but the indicator lamps are brighter & the left side of the machine is already to dark

I think all the suppliers ship overseas I'm not sure who has the "best" white rubbers that were origonally installed. I've seen black rubbers installed & looks ok could also do "Titan" colored rubbers

4 months later
#624 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Thanks everyone! Also does anyone know what all the numbers on the sound settings are? Everyone has told me to get to 18 and then set it to 3. Does anyone know what the rest of the settings do?

the rest of the settings in the manual
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2821/Bally_1980_Xenon_Manual_And_Schematics.pdf

I think there is a dip switch setting for voice in the attract mode as well. "try me again" ... I'm always a sucker for a sultry voice asking me to play more pinball.

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

That looks amazing! Are the lights in this game supposed to be primarily blues? My machine I bought someone really went to town on reds. I have a feeling it’s not right and I’d like to change back. For instance the backglass and play field what’s standard? Your blues look amazing!!! Also someone talk to me about the driver update needed on this game for upgrading for leds. What she’s strobing mean?

color tastes can be subjective

In the '80's the game shipped with #44 incandescent lamps and the tube shot were #2181 incandescent indicator lamps https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-2181
I think the upper arch had a red translucent sleeve over the GI lamps and behind the drops had red sleeves as well. So that's what I'd say "it's supposed to be"

#47 lamps run thermally cooler but are equally dimmer

I think early LED lamp technology in pinball games the lamps would "strobe" https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-ballystern-led-adapter-kit-review

LED's measured in "light temperature" is different from "thermal temperature" warm white is kinda yellow like incandescent , cool white is brighter-white towards blue. I think "non-ghosting LED's" are what you'd be looking for should you decide to go that route.

specific colors red/blue/green can be found as well in both incandescent & LED

Your tube strip sounds like it had been modified for little (red) LED indicator lamps https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-xenon-tube-lamps-to-leds-vids-guide

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

OEM Xenon had...
1) top arch x4 red tube
2) side drop target x4 red tube
3) left side x2 blue tubes ( by exit )
4) tube lamps wheat bulbs ( incandescence )
5) all lamps #44 bayonet ( incandescence )
-- except as noted above.

heh ya beet me , & I didn't know about the blue sleeves

Damonator 's machine is absolutely beautiful the lit posts really brighten up the left side of the playfield. do they flash when you make the tube-shot ?

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I couldn't quite look up post on this but I am wondering if there is a better solution than having a post by the apron near the center drain? I am getting quite a lot of bounce back up, either through center drain of left outlane...
I tried with or without a rubber but it doesn't make a big difference. What is the impact to just remove it?
[quoted image]

There was a Xenon on location I played at that would bounce the ball back up on a left lane drain if it had some good velocity .... I never complained about it then

I suppose manipulating the way the ball travels down the apron to that post will resolve that issue. My machine is away from me at the moment. A left out-lane drain on my machine was always as designed.

A center drain and a "Lazerouse" off that post would be considered fair-play and it does take a bit of skill to NOT FLIP.

3 weeks later
#680 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Does anyone know how to de activate Attract mode on the game?

Dip switch 29 off ???? If Your talking about the speech part ? "Try Xeeee-non" on one page of manual it says it repeats every 2 minutes. another page in the manual it says it's just the at the end where it says "Try me again" https://www.ipdb.org/files/2821/Bally_1980_Xenon_Manual_And_Schematics.pdf

As for the flashing lights I don't think so.

7 months later
#914 3 years ago
Quoted from RONR11:

Hey guys need help. iPhone cloud pics are gone. I got 2 issues and looked at a dozen pics and some are different. I can’t see where the enclosed bracket goes and where the correct standoffs go on my ramp. Txs Ron
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-gray-posts#post-4346256

and again the bracket goes on top of the plastic to the left above the spinner for the very seldom air-ball

5 months later
#1101 2 years ago

play_pinball I snapped a pic of the other area grey posts for the ramp here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-gray-posts#post-4346256

3 months later
#1252 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Enjoying playing Xenon daily. Still dialing it in and making adjustments.
Sometimes the ball in play hits the gate and the locked ball falls out onto the playfield. What do I adjust?

You're saying when the 2'nd ball on playfield hits the cattle-gate, the locked ball will lip-out of the saucer ?

I wonder if the two fins in the saucer are to close together so it cradles the ball to high -or- to much tension on the leaf switch

got a pic of that area or a video of it happening ?

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Yes, that’s exactly what it’s doing. No video as it doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it’s frustrating. I’ll check to see how the ball sits in there and compare it to the top kick out hole.

I also thought perhaps it's the switch just above the saucer activating -as if- a 2'nd ball was shot in the tube , that would fire the kicker though so that may be an indication if that is happening.

1 week later
#1268 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Happy day! CPR Gold Xenon playfield came in the mail. This is a playfield from three years ago that a fellow Pinsider had from a prior restoration. Had a few mechs populated but then the prior owner lost interest I guess. Anyhow, I snagged it for a good price.
Old grossness:[quoted image]
New Hotness:
[quoted image]

You're gonna want that pin in near the exit chamber, the new playfield isn't drilled for it though : it slows the ball down so it's less likely to lip-out of the saucer.

Xenon saucer pin (resized).jpgXenon saucer pin (resized).jpg
#1274 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:Does that spring post actually do anything?

I don't have my machine close by & not good at shooting video.

Multiball was an afterthought as it was being designed and thankfully it was implementd

The ball bobbles first between the washer post and a ball lane guide, -then- between the washer post & a playfield post with a rubber ring , sometimes putting a 2'nd rubber ring there helps, -then- between the rubber ringed post and that little pin.

I am not sure how those springs come into play

Xenon exit chamber bobble (resized).jpgXenon exit chamber bobble (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Ball three stays in the out hole, not sure if this is normal or not.

There are only supposed to be 2 balls installed in the game.

#1410 2 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Meaning playing ball three, end of game.

yeah I thought that's was what you meant.

Remove both balls & do a switch test , there is probably a stuck switch under the apron.

#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Mine didn't have the 2 ball issue until after I swapped the PF. It could be that the adjustment on this micro is very touchy and has to be in sync with the other trough switches? IDK. I think it's there to help the MPU keep track of the balls, or so I read on old threads. But regardless, my game played fine w/o it.

The switch right before the left saucer correct ? doesn't that eject a ball from that saucer if there is one there? also doesn't is reset the fast background music to a slower pace ? I don't have my machine close by to tell.

I've been told to snip a capacitor leg at the switch (until you can replace it ?)

4 months later
#1671 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Does anyone have spare saucer eject bracket they’d sell? This one has a broken weld.
[quoted image]

I had another game that had this problem ... I can't weld so I used a 2 part epoxy on the underside to reattach the fins that cradle the ball in the saucer.

3 months later
#1830 1 year ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Hey xenon owners wondering if you can chime in here.
Sometimes when there is a ball locked in the saucer and I tilt the machine the ball in the saucer will kick out and then both balls will drain and sometimes both end up in the shooter lane.
It only seems to happen when I wiggle the machine to tilt it. If I just manually activate the tilt Bob then it does not kick the ball out of the saucer.
I thought maybe the locked ball was rocking back and forth during a tilt and triggering the saucer switch multiple times but I adjusted that switch so it stays closed when there is a ball locked in there even if you are wiggling the machine.
I checked switch test and everything appears to be working as it should.
There is a new altek CPU installed.
I put the machine in switch test and wiggled the machine and banged the playfield but no switch activates.
The tilt Bob switch and the saucer switch are not in the same row or column in the switch Matrix.
The tilt switch under the play field is not adjusted too close together and it works fine as well.
From your experience is it normal for the locked ball to kick out during a tilt? I feel like it is not normal.
Can't seem to figure this one out though. Any other suggestions?

If I have a ball locked and I tilt it will kick out the locked ball ... so I'd say "normal"

What I think may be happening with the 2 balls in shooter lane is :

when the machine resets from the tilt it launches the 1'st ball THEN the ball kicked out from lock lands in the outhole and launches the 2'nd ball thinking the 1'st ball did NOT qualified the playfield.

I Just tried it with the glass off holding the 2'nd ball then dropped it in the outhole while 1'st ball was in shooter lane

#1833 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply!
Hmmm so it DOES kick out on your machine with a tilt? That is very interesting.
I think you are perfectly correct about the 2 balls making their way to the trough. It seems when they both drain close to eachother both do not end up in the shooter lane but if there is a few seconds between the balls draining the 2nd ball kicks to the trough (like you say, the machine thinks it is the 1st ball not validating the playfield).
Can you try to tilt the machine just by moving the tilt bob with your hand and not moving the entire machine (with a ball locked) and see if the ball kicks out of the lock then? If I just activate the tilt with my hand it does NOT kick out??????

interesting, If I use my finger to move the tilt-bob it does the same as yours, tilts but doesn't eject the locked ball

I did it twice balls 1 & 2 with a ball in the shooter lane , for ball 3 with a ball in the shooter lane I moved the machine as a regular tilt & the ball was kicked out of the shooter lane

the next game .... locked a ball ...ball shot in shooter lane ,tilted machine moving the box ..... ball ejected from side saucer & when it drained machine reset & launched a 2'nd ball into shooter lane

I took 1 of the 2 balls & re-locked it, when I moved the tilt-bob by hand it DIDN'T kick the ball from side saucer

#1836 1 year ago

Thanks for testing that out! Really appreciate that. Not sure what to think of that. Just does not make any sense to me yet why moving the machine causes the eject but hand tilting does not. I wonder if we share some common issue or this is just the way it is on Xenon machines?

Well for tournament play they usually keep my grubby fingers out of the coin-box area & keep the position of the tilt-bob a BIG SECRET !

4 weeks later
#1874 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

I'm working on bringing back to life this beautiful machine.
All is going well.
I found this tiny copper cable disconnect in the tilt bob area.
One side is attached to the screw again the wall, but where the other side goes??
Any help will be really appreciated
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like it came unsoldered from the tilt rod

Bally Xenon pendulum (resized).jpgBally Xenon pendulum (resized).jpg
4 months later
#1976 1 year ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Need help with something simple. I believe this has been discussed but couldn’t find it.
Game starts everything plays fine (for a year now) but recently when ball drops in side saucer (4 tube shot) it does not eject. Eject works when in test mode. Thanks all.
UPDATE: found this, trying now https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-side-saucer-eject-problem

So the coil is good in test mode,

What does a switch test reveal ( remove both balls from trough )

drop a ball in side saucer should red "33"

remove that ball (magnet helps) drop in outhole "08"

Manually operate from outhole to shooter trough ""ball release #1"" on display "02"

if all that registers ok remove the apron and test manually "ball release #2" switch displayed "28" (with both balls removed)

IMG_2528 (resized).JPGIMG_2528 (resized).JPGIMG_2529 (resized).JPGIMG_2529 (resized).JPG
#1979 1 year ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Thanks all. After cleaning and adjusting in the machine I said to myself “self, let’s do this the right way.” I removed both switches, cleaned and replaced resistors and everything’s working like a charm.
[quoted image]

Them both the switches buy the side saucer ? "end of tube" & "side saucer"

Yeah could have been a shorted diode or (capacitor on the end of tube switch)

Xenon saucer (resized).jpgXenon saucer (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1986 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Has anyone added the clear concentric ring posts from PBL to their Xenon? I'm curious as to what it looks like.

link? ... can't find it

2 weeks later
#2003 1 year ago
Quoted from FarAway:

New Xenon owner here, loving the game. I keep trying her again!
Questions on a couple of glitches, (I hope it is ok to post here and not in the tech forum?)
1) sometimes a slow roller ball will hang at the top of the ramp just prior to entering the tube and then the only way to free it is to tilt the game, anyone else experience this? Any suggestions or fixes?
2) sometimes after going through the tube the ball will roll right through the kickout and out the gate without even registering, anyone else experience this? Any suggestions or fixes?
Thank you

on #1 , I discovered my grey posts under the ramp were improperly installed & my ball would hang-up at the top of the ramp as you described.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-gray-posts#post-4346256

on #2
do you have a pic of the exit chamber area? a similar question was asked here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/26#post-6540462

there are 3 things that slows the ball down before it hits the side saucer after it comes out of the tube.

2 months later
#2048 11 months ago
Quoted from mkdud:

The 1-4 buttons are not sticking and are all working properly They have new caps installed and new diodes. I just spent a bunch of time going through the buttons & their switches. I have been cleaning the oxidation out of the switches as I go with 91% alcohol & a toothbrush.
When I finished doing this, I played 3 games. First 2 games, no phantom switches.
3rd game, no ball in lock, only # 4 target down, ball rolling across middle of PF, SLAM
What is the best cleaner and way to get the oxidation out?
I'm going to be working on the target switches next.

I'm wondering if this is sound board related

As game-play continues the background music gets faster in tempo , a tube-shot will reset the background music to the slowest tempo. I don't know how many switch-hits increases the tempo or how many times it increases to its max value.

I imagine in bookkeeping you can turn off the background music to see if there is any affect.

2 months later
#2095 8 months ago
Quoted from runpatboyrun:

Curious: what are the conditions for the Special to be lit on the outlanes on Xenon? Never saw it and super curious if anyone here has an answer to that![quoted image]

I think during Multiball , you need to hit the top saucer 3 times

6 months later
#2255 55 days ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Well I joined the club with a Xenon that was taken a part and now Ive got to figure out how to get it back together. Luckily, just the top side was removed so I dont think it will be too bad unless its missing parts.
Does anyone have a folder of shop out photos that they would be willing to share with me?
I plan to do a hardtop and really excited that I got this game!

Here's a post I made about the placement of the different sizes grey spacers for the ramp. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-gray-posts#post-4346256

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chas10e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon?tu=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.