Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230304_185226 (resized).jpg
20230304_185219 (resized).jpg
20230304_185136 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 46.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I just found this a couple months ago for the blue it's Rustoleum 2X satin Oasis blue. Judging by the cap it's a real close match. I haven't tried to match the red yet. Reds are pretty easy though, maybe rustoleum apple red? You want it on the darker red side I believe. I'm impressed that you are making your own stencils, why not use Pimp's? I made my own for F2K and was a ton of work, luckily F2K doesn't have intricate artwork. What material are you using for the stencils?

I would use Pimp's stencils, but the cost would be the same as my Xenon!(and that it out of my budget for now). I bought $20 worth of Oramask 810 stencil film to try it out and cut it on my works machine. It works fine, though I think I got the order wrong, it is not red first! I tried a part of the design on a piece of scrap wood, you can see I rushed it!

IMG_20190922_161908633 (resized).jpgIMG_20190922_161908633 (resized).jpg
#402 4 years ago
Quoted from dombutler:

I would use Pimp's stencils, but the cost would be the same as my Xenon!(and that it out of my budget for now). I bought $20 worth of Oramask 810 stencil film to try it out and cut it on my works machine. It works fine, though I think I got the order wrong, it is not red first! I tried a part of the design on a piece of scrap wood, you can see I rushed it![quoted image]

Yes the blue is first lol. That's a cool design. I guess you're going custom on the artwork?

1 week later
#403 4 years ago

Hi Gang - newcomer here!

Xenon was my favorite game in college, and I always said if I got a pin, it would be a Xenon. A few months ago my hubby surprised me with a beautiful Xenon!

Having never owned a pinball machine before, I have been reading a ton about care and maintenance. My machine was in great shape, but after a few weeks I decided it needed some cleaning. I removed the Mylar (which had a big hunk missing), and gave the playfield 3 coats of wax. I replaced all the rubber, all the coil sleeves, and some of the posts. I built a rotisserie, so I could more easily replace the skirts on the pop bumpers (the rest of the parts were in good shape). I am learning how to solder!

I am having a blast playing this old gem, and have enjoyed reading about everyone else's Xenon experiences.

xenon1 (resized).jpgxenon1 (resized).jpgxenon2 (resized).jpgxenon2 (resized).jpgxenon3 (resized).jpgxenon3 (resized).jpg
#404 4 years ago

That playfield is in great shape! So many of these Xenons were worn down to the wood.

#405 4 years ago

AnnKH
Note: you need a mini post assembly in front of the left spinner...
The top left mini post behind the spinner next to the tube does not
have a mini post rubber put on it.
Please put a ring on the lower right posts...
Your playfield is so mint...
Your game looks awesome!
Congratulations.

#407 4 years ago

Thanks, Vec-tor! I'll take care of that. I put everything back together the way I found it - apparently not the way it was supposed to be.

#408 4 years ago

Two fold question.
Are the tubes on Cybernaut the same as Xenon..?
If so where do get these replacements....?
Thanks

#409 4 years ago

Where can replacement tubes be had.????
I need one for cybernaut..

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Two fold question.
Are the tubes on Cybernaut the same as Xenon..?
If so where do get these replacements....?
Thanks

Quoted from vassq:

Take your tube to a plastic supply shop. I believe the tubes are made out of acrylic.

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Second the supply shop comment. It is a standard industry tube size.

#412 4 years ago

Anybody ever make a plastic for this spot?

Missing Plastic (resized).jpgMissing Plastic (resized).jpg
#413 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Anybody ever make a plastic for this spot?[quoted image]

Their was a plastic piece that was for the top right... The piece was never used in production.
The part was hidden buy the metal ramp assembly. One can find the missing plastic on IPDB.
The area that you have pointed out, has the white plastic clap filling in that spot.

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Their was a plastic piece that was for the top right... The piece was never used in production.
The part was hidden buy the metal ramp assembly. One can find the missing plastic on IPDB.
The area that you have pointed out, has the white plastic clap filling in that spot.

Found this on IPDB as well and there it is.
The Plastic Light Shield set.
Well now I need one...

image-16 (resized).jpgimage-16 (resized).jpg
#415 4 years ago

A plastic supply shop..? That's a very vague answer. You know why I didn't think of that..? Because I never heard of one.
If you know of one then maybe I could order one....

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

A plastic supply shop..? That's a very vague answer. You know why I didn't think of that..? Because I never heard of one.
If you know of one then maybe I could order one....

Plastic Supply Inc., of Maine
2 Karen Drive, Stop 4Westbrook, Maine 04092
(207)775-7778
(800)287-7835
(207)775-6044 FAX
Maine’s Original Source for all your CNC Routing, Fabrication, Welding, Sign Supplies and Engineering Plastics
Contact Us Today for a Quote
www.plasticsupplyofmaine.com
[email protected]
-----------------------------------
Try these guys... They could probably help you.

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

A plastic supply shop..? That's a very vague answer.

How about McMaster-Carr?

#418 4 years ago

Just replaced the volume and voice pots on my Xenon last night, all is well in the world.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/bourns/3362p-1-102lf/?qs=RwDwYDcw27qKqzC%2FPPozyg%3D%3D&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

Used these from Mouser. Part number 3362P-1-102LF

1 week later
#419 4 years ago

I picked up a Xenon a little while ago and was able to add credits to the machine and play it but now, I am not able to add any credits so i can play and i can not figure out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions for what could be wrong and preventing me from adding credits to the game to play? I am assuming (and hoping) it is a loose wire and will be an easy fix but I do not know for sure.

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I picked up a Xenon a little while ago and was able to add credits to the machine and play it but now, I am not able to add any credits so i can play and i can not figure out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions for what could be wrong and preventing me from adding credits to the game to play? I am assuming (and hoping) it is a loose wire and will be an easy fix but I do not know for sure.

We probably need a bit more detail to sort this out. Do you have credits showing on the display and the game won't start or are you at 0 credits and cannot add any? How did you add credits previously? If operating the coin switches on the door does not work then I would do a switch test in the diagnostics. Keep in mind the coin switch, start switch, and the diagnostics switch are all on the coin door and if the coin door connector is the problem, all these switches will not be working.

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I am not able to add any credits so i can play and i can not figure out what I am doing wrong.

There is a maximum credit setting. It caps out at 40.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#422 4 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum so i hope i post this in the correct thread. At our office we've got an Xenon. But we're having a few issues with it and i hope you guys could help us perhaps.

1st issue is that the ball sometimes exits the tubeshot without it being launched from the dropshot.
2nd issue sometimes our ball drops dead near the right flipper, in the right banks or in the top right corner. Could this have to do with the angle of the playing field.
Currently we got the field at 3,2 degrees. Is this a normal angle or should it be more?

Looking forward to your answers, thanks in advance!

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from Dutchy:

Currently we got the field at 3,2 degrees. Is this a normal angle or should it be more?

6.5 is more typical.

#424 4 years ago

If I understand the questions, I believe I've addressed these issues on my repair page at...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/xenon/repair/repair.html

An extra ring above the Exit Chamber slows the ball so it doesn't skip the saucer...

posts-03 (resized).jpgposts-03 (resized).jpg

Blue posts and double rings prevent hang ups at the drops...

shop-21 (resized).jpgshop-21 (resized).jpg

My playfield slope is adjusted pretty shallow and nothing gets stuck.

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

6.5 is more typical.

Thanks, we'll try that and see how it plays. thanks for the answer.

On a side note i think the angle maybe to steep for the power the flipper has. It's already hard to get the ball in the upperpart of the machine as it is. But the again i can imagine the ball picking up more speed on an steeper angle. so i said we'll try it.

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

If I understand the questions, I believe I've addressed these issues on my repair page at...
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/xenon/repair/repair.html
An extra ring above the Exit Chamber slows the ball so it doesn't skip the saucer...
[quoted image]
Blue posts and double rings prevent hang ups at the drops...
[quoted image]
My playfield slope is adjusted pretty shallow and nothing gets stuck.

Thanks for the answer, it's the answer we've been looking for. so we'll definently be checking out that one.

#427 4 years ago

So to clarify

These are the spot the ball gets stuck or drops dead quite regularly.
And a picture of the dropshot. As you can see we're missing a thick rubber there.
Also noticed the rubber showing cracks on multiple places, so i'll think i have to convice my boss to change them.
IMG_20191112_131732 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131732 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131646 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131646 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131654 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131654 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131721 (resized).jpgIMG_20191112_131721 (resized).jpg

#428 4 years ago

Get that rubber replaced and raise the rear leg levelers so you are at 6.5 degrees back to front. That should eliminate the areas you show the ball getting hung up.

#429 4 years ago
Quoted from Dutchy:

Looking forward to your answers, thanks in advance!

Hold your level to the bottom of the cabinet. If it's level there the game is configured as intended.

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Hold your level to the bottom of the cabinet. If it's level there the game is configured as intended.

I'll have to remember that one.

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from Dutchy:

These are the spot the ball gets stuck

The top picture...
there is supposed to be a pin in that spot to keep the ball from getting stuck.

1 week later
#432 4 years ago

Thanks guys for all the advise.

So far we've leveled out the playingfield by making the bottomplate of the cabinet completly level. First we used an app on our phone which improved the situation but we weren't satisfied with the results so we went with an real leveler. The improvement was noticable straight away and also resolved the ball getting stuck issue. It was a bit hard to screw the rear legs out but nothing a good amount of wd40 couldn't fix. Also i've cleaned the playing field with a very slight wet cloth. there was quite a layer of greyish dust and material of the balls. I didn't expect it would make that much of a difference but it really did. the ball runs much smoother and faster. When cleaning i noticed that the rubber in some places was in poor condition as well as quite some lightbulbs being broken.

So basically I got two questions:
Which rubberset do I need?
Which bulbs do i need? are they all the same type?

#433 4 years ago
Quoted from Dutchy:

Thanks guys for all the advise.
So far we've leveled out the playingfield by making the bottomplate of the cabinet completly level. First we used an app on our phone which improved the situation but we weren't satisfied with the results so we went with an real leveler. The improvement was noticable straight away and also resolved the ball getting stuck issue. It was a bit hard to screw the rear legs out but nothing a good amount of wd40 couldn't fix. Also i've cleaned the playing field with a very slight wet cloth. there was quite a layer of greyish dust and material of the balls. I didn't expect it would make that much of a difference but it really did. the ball runs much smoother and faster. When cleaning i noticed that the rubber in some places was in poor condition as well as quite some lightbulbs being broken.
So basically I got two questions:
Which rubberset do I need?
Which bulbs do i need? are they all the same type?

I don't know what suppliers you have in Europe but you can buy rubber ring kits specific to the machine and maybe add one larger one for the post in the tube shot capture area. Bulbs are all 44 or 47, you can use either one but most owners have switched to 47s as they use less power, generate less heat but are slightly dimmer than the 44s.

#434 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't know what suppliers you have in Europe but you can buy rubber ring kits specific to the machine and maybe add one larger one for the post in the tube shot capture area. Bulbs are all 44 or 47, you can use either one but most owners have switched to 47s as they use less power, generate less heat but are slightly dimmer than the 44s.

I initially went the #47 route to "save power & heat" BUT using #44 lamps were noticeably brighter I did get some LED cool white lamps and only used them under the pops at first then did the "controlled lamps" above the playfield. the tube shot strip uses #2181 indicator lamps soldered to the light board there (according to the manual) ... I've seen other machines with a colored LED diode used but the indicator lamps are brighter & the left side of the machine is already to dark

I think all the suppliers ship overseas I'm not sure who has the "best" white rubbers that were origonally installed. I've seen black rubbers installed & looks ok could also do "Titan" colored rubbers

#435 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

the left side of the machine is already to dark

A few people on here and myself wire one or both of the controlled lamps near the ball exit into the GI to light that area. They are rarely used as controlled lamps and the playfield is a bit brighter.

#436 4 years ago

bobukcat chas10e QuietEarp Thanks for your answers guys.

Yesterday the leftflipper died on us. We decided not to screw with all of it ourselfs after we lifted the playingfield. Luckily we have a contact for maintenance and he'll do it for us. Hopefully i can learn some things looking how he does it. It all seems a bit initmidating to me with 0 knowledge of these things.

#437 4 years ago

I had a Xenon...sold it 8 years ago. I have another one now.

Does anyone have a source on where to buy the tube with the laser etching?

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I had a Xenon...sold it 8 years ago. I have another one now.
Does anyone have a source on where to buy the tube with the laser etching?

I bought one when I first saw it a few years back but I never used it. Compared to the original, the size of the etched tube was a smaller diameter and I was afraid the small might hit the edges of the tube opening. I still may have. I will check.

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Not sure if you ever figured this out but check the fish paper insulator on the game start switch contacts, it has a tendency to shift and short out the switch. It will let the game boot but no credits are added and no game starts.

#440 4 years ago

Time for some Xenon maintenance!

All new posts and elastics, serviced the flipper mechs, fresh wax and replaced some missing caps on various switches. The plunge is an actual skill shot now that the switches up top for the drops are working proper, I can get 3 at a go now =)

20191129_211112_resized_1 (resized).jpg20191129_211112_resized_1 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#441 4 years ago

?Anyone know where this particular clear plastic piece from Playfield Protectors goes? It doesn't seem to match anything that I recognize and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/H_lH2OZcRkavFmeZnJIVEg?categoryid=24&category=Clear%20Plastics&name=Xenon%20%7C%201980

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

?Anyone know where this particular clear plastic piece from Playfield Protectors goes? It doesn't seem to match anything that I recognize and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/H_lH2OZcRkavFmeZnJIVEg?categoryid=24&category=Clear%20Plastics&name=Xenon%20%7C%201980

It either mounts on top of rectifier board in lower cab or in front oF solenoid board in back box... compare screw holes

#443 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

It either mounts on top of rectifier board in lower cab or in front oF solenoid board in back box... compare screw holes

Nope; I still have both of those in mine and it doesn't match/line up with either. In any case, they are selling it as a Xenon-specific part, not a Bally/Stern solenoid board generic or -54 power module shield.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to buy either one of those parts:
Bally/Stern Solenoid Board HV shield: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/M-1837
Bally -54 Power Module HV Shield: https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-power-module-fuse-covershield-kit.html

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Anyone know where this particular clear plastic piece from Playfield Protectors goes?

It goes under the apron on the right side above the ball switch/release trough area - see here:

https://images.pinside.com/f/53/77/f53773109aa44c38fb98a560e00dad59afd1169e.jpg

#445 4 years ago

That's interesting. I looked long and hard at that part and couldn't figure out what it was for. My game has a completely different metal shield over the trough. But it looks like the playfields were dimpled for either option. I'm curious to hear what others have in their games.

#446 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

My game has a completely different metal shield over the trough.

I've seen a metal cover too - this one is a different metal variation to what I've seen:

https://images.pinside.com/e/1d/97/e1d976f4171d504b3d465e2ac6e73d4cd3169748.jpg

#447 4 years ago

Never have seen either type.

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I think my Xenon has the metal type, I was just cleaning switches on mine last week and I don't recall a clear cover.

#449 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

By accident, abuse or transit there must have been scenarios where the ball could potentially pop out of the trough.
Two Xenons I worked on last year had the plastic cover, another had a metal cover.

#450 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Two Xenons I worked on last year had the plastic cover, another had a metal cover.

I'm going to assume that the plastic cover is for the early production and
the metal cover is for later. The metal cover is faster to install on an assembly
line than the plastic style cover. Or they ran two separate lines from different
suppliers. A collection of serial numbers could add insightfulness to the variations to the two
outhole trough design.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 90.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/9?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.