• Latest reply 4 days ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 10.09.14 AM (resized).png
There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 46.
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Wish someone with the part would post measurements. I have access to someone who could create new ones. If a owner would be willing, please send me the measurements for both parts.
Mike

I would be interested in one of these if you reproduce it.

#352 4 years ago

hmm, so i thought i got my xenon all working but its doing a weird reset thing at random times.

new power board, new sdb, altek mpu

will play then just randomly everything will turn off except the gi.

i thought I had it fixed by replacing a connector on the power board. let the game sit for 4 hours yesterday in attract mode and it did not reset. played one game and it just randomly reset.

fiddled with connectors this morning to see if something was loose. had it in a game and locked a ball and left the other ball in the shooter lane.

game sat like that for maybe 30 minutes and then it turned everything off but the gi.

what would be a good place to start trouble shooting?

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

hmm, so i thought i got my xenon all working but its doing a weird reset thing at random times.
new power board, new sdb, altek mpu
will play then just randomly everything will turn off except the gi.
i thought I had it fixed by replacing a connector on the power board. let the game sit for 4 hours yesterday in attract mode and it did not reset. played one game and it just randomly reset.
fiddled with connectors this morning to see if something was loose. had it in a game and locked a ball and left the other ball in the shooter lane.
game sat like that for maybe 30 minutes and then it turned everything off but the gi.
what would be a good place to start trouble shooting?

What does it sound like when it resets? Does it make a sound like one of the slam switches is hit? You can manually trigger that to check.
If so, I would ask if you ever have any false bumper or sling shot firings while playing, even if only occasionally.

If it silently resets like you power cycled it, chances are it is a power supply issue.

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What does it sound like when it resets? Does it make a sound like one of the slam switches is hit? You can manually trigger that to check.
If so, I would ask if you ever have any false bumper or sling shot firings while playing, even if only occasionally.
If it silently resets like you power cycled it, chances are it is a power supply issue.

no sound, everything just goes dead with just GI still on.

havent had any false firing of slings or pops while playing.

it is a new board installed in it but it was installed by a previous owner. I wonder if there is a bad component on it perhaps?

#355 4 years ago

Did you repin the connectors? That's the first thing I do on early bally pins.

#356 4 years ago

Check your 5V supply level and make sure it is not too low in case the new SDB is not working right.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Did you repin the connectors? That's the first thing I do on early bally pins.

I'm with Drewscruis on this one. New power board, SDB and MPU should eliminate rectifier/regulator/logic issues, which leaves connectors as probable suspects.

It sounds to me like the MPU is losing power momentarily and the program is jumping off track, locking up the board. I would for sure repin J4 on the MPU and J3 on the SDB. These control power distribution after the rectifier board to the regulator and MPU. On this design of rectifer board the connectors don't usually burn or break so you're probably good there.

#358 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll buy some new connectors and go from there . Cheers!

1 week later
#359 4 years ago

Mpu sound settings questions on Xenon. Setting display on ball in play to display 18, then choose 03 for all sounds and all speech. Is it just me or does anyone else see the setting for 18 goes up to 07 if you keep scrolling? Has alteck mpu so is this just because other games use the same board or is there something wrong here?

#360 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

Is it just me or does anyone else see the setting for 18 goes up to 07 if you keep scrolling?

The count to 7 is part of the Bally operating system (v 40) used at that time. What you're seeing is normal. I haven't checked but the functionality likely wraps around after 03, i.e. 00 to 03 settings are probably the same as 04 to 07.

#361 4 years ago

I just acquired my 3rd Xenon, the first 2 are long gone so I can join the group lol. Xenon was my second pin and my first resto. I did it 10 years ago and restored 7 more games since. This latest addition is rough and I haven't powered her up yet. I plan to do another full resto on this one. I just got the 2019 CPR PF and it's stunning. The game has a nice backglass so I'm good to go except for the cab. It is badly bowed on one side. I have a wood shop local that will gut custom pieces for me but I will have to strip everything from the cab before I can bring it there. I will update with pics as I go.

#362 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I have a wood shop local that will gut custom pieces

Ouch!

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

I picked up a xenon a while back and noticed it has one cabinet speaker from the factory. Most of the pics on here seem to show two speakers. Anyone else with a one speaker cab?[quoted image]

That's odd, are you sure it's a Xenon cab? Does the serial number on the side start with EXE?

#365 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That's odd, are you sure it's a Xenon cab? Does the serial number on the side start with EXE?

The speakers are a always questionable... I have a Bally Flash Gordon with two speakers.
As I recall, Bally and others, would put whatever was available, at that time, to keep the
assembly line going. So... if one supply house was going on empty they would use another.

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The speakers are a always questionable... I have a Bally Flash Gordon with two speakers.
As I recall, Bally and others, would put whatever was available, at that time, to keep the
assembly line going. So... if one supply house was going on empty they would use another.

It's my understanding that in the early FG production, the sounds plus board was changed to the Squawk and Talk board. I had an early FG serial number in the low 1000's and it had 2 speakers and sounds plus board. And all the FG's I have seen with Squawk and Talk boards had a single speaker so I always assumed that was they way they were made, but it makes sense that they probably used what was available at the time. I'm sure 1 larger speaker is cheaper than 2 smaller ones and it's 1 less hole that needs to cut. I often wondered if the 2 sound boards are plug and play interchangeable? Or is the cab wiring different?

#367 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It's my understanding that in the early FG production, the sounds plus board was changed to the Squawk and Talk board. I had an early FG serial number in the low 1000's and it had 2 speakers and sounds plus board. And all the FG's I have seen with Squawk and Talk boards had a single speaker so I always assumed that was they way they were made, but it makes sense that they probably used what was available at the time. I'm sure 1 larger speaker is cheaper than 2 smaller ones and it's 1 less hole that needs to cut. I often wondered if the 2 sound boards are plug and play interchangeable? Or is the cab wiring different?

Looks like the main connector on each sound board are pin compatible.

#368 4 years ago

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, and razor cut to size.

Please PM me if interested.

Xenon_Title.jpgXenon_Title.jpgXenon_Instructions.jpgXenon_Instructions.jpg
#369 4 years ago

Joining the club!

Playfield is trashed, are there any hard tops out there?

DF70684F-470A-4D70-8FA2-8F1743D16474 (resized).jpegDF70684F-470A-4D70-8FA2-8F1743D16474 (resized).jpeg
#370 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Joining the club!
Playfield is trashed, are there any hard tops out there?[quoted image]

Let the fun begin! They usually have trashed playfields. If it's within your budget, CPR just did another repro. They have gold and silvers left. I just got a gold and it's really nice with no flaws. What game are you hiding behind the Xenon?

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Let the fun begin! They usually have trashed playfields. If it's within your budget, CPR just did another repro. They have gold and silvers left. I just got a gold and it's really nice with no flaws. What game are you hiding behind the Xenon?

Thanks! The other game is a Space Station that my friend received in part of the deal.

I'm going to look into the CPR playfields

#372 4 years ago

Picked up a fully working Xenon the other day with brother in law. Excited to join the club and figure this machine out!

#373 4 years ago

From post #368 I asked Mr_Tantrum to come up with an apron card set for Xenon. In less than a week, designed, printed and received. Here pics in a Merf's rerpro apron. These are heavy and glossy so no need for the acetate film on top. A nice added touch to my next Xenon repro! Size 5.5 in by 3.25 in fit's perfectly.

P7260056 (resized).JPGP7260056 (resized).JPGP7260057 (resized).JPGP7260057 (resized).JPGP7260062 (resized).JPGP7260062 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#374 4 years ago

Hello fellow Xenon owners! I had a few of these Xenon skateboard decks made. So if anyone is interested in some cool wall art for their game room please shoot me a message. Price is $100 each plus shipping and includes a special wall mount to hang it in your game room. I have a limited quality of these and once they are gone they are done. Please let me know if any of you would like one! Thanks!

383A5E6A-A72B-471D-9919-73AB3B1F3911 (resized).jpeg383A5E6A-A72B-471D-9919-73AB3B1F3911 (resized).jpeg45ED0D3C-BA4A-454E-A72A-C7F38F4FB900 (resized).jpeg45ED0D3C-BA4A-454E-A72A-C7F38F4FB900 (resized).jpeg4B78A5CA-36F6-4463-AD67-3F47A55BD83E (resized).jpeg4B78A5CA-36F6-4463-AD67-3F47A55BD83E (resized).jpeg7A73F798-1A04-4920-9741-4D1504F32574 (resized).jpeg7A73F798-1A04-4920-9741-4D1504F32574 (resized).jpeg7F65252C-784E-4E55-904F-CC1ED756A1CB (resized).jpeg7F65252C-784E-4E55-904F-CC1ED756A1CB (resized).jpegCF2959AE-A216-4558-B91C-E24E74DDDD7A (resized).jpegCF2959AE-A216-4558-B91C-E24E74DDDD7A (resized).jpegEAEDCD85-EFC4-4430-871C-17FC759C3F7B (resized).jpegEAEDCD85-EFC4-4430-871C-17FC759C3F7B (resized).jpeg
#375 4 years ago

The dishwasher vs Xenon

When I bought this I noticed prior to beginning the full restoration and new playfield swap the wring didn’t look right. There was a large purple wire that went from the large orange G.I. wire by the left side slingshot lights that went all the way down to the wire braid just past the last light on the left where the plastic tube exits. This purple wire also was connected to the tab on one light socket.

Problem was all the Mota lights and the xenon circle lights were all on constantly. Saw how they were supposed to work in a few videos. I spent a lot of time studying the conversation Quench and Tomdrum had about all his feature lights being struck on. I threw money at the problem with new lamp boards, this brightened the lights a little bit. Also finally took the time to get new Molex housing and eliminate the oem style 40 year old connectors.

So cut out the purple wire out and removed two bulbs thinking the G.I. and feature light circuits were possible crossed. This made the mota and xenon lights go very dim. The right hand side feature lights were still on.

When everything went into the dishwasher it was a tangled up mess coming out. Some of the braids were broken. I had drawn the paths on the old playfield but I expected to be in a world of hurt since I knew going in it was hacked with the purple wire someone had added and I never had played or seen a good working xenon. Did the best I could to piece it back together.

So thinking a bad solder joint between the left and right hand sides of the wire braid now... I grabbed one of the alligator clips jumper wires I bought earlier and picked two random points on the braid from right to left. Holy Shit! What a difference. All lights were brighter and the spinning rotation effects I had seen in videos was now working.

I had also tested there was no continuity on anything from the rectifier board j1 plug unplugged between G.I., switched, and returns.

I expect the using this jumper and simply moving it along he route I will find the bad break or weak solder joint in the braid.
But What i need to know is: Which lights on the left side are G.I. and which are switched?
I think it is a mix. Without looking I think there are 5 or six from the plastic tube exit to just below the side saucer.

#376 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

But What i need to know is: Which lights on the left side are G.I. and which are switched?
I think it is a mix. Without looking I think there are 5 or six from the plastic tube exit to just below the side saucer.

I show which lamps on the left side of the playfield are GI and which are controlled here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-with-comet-leds-and-custom-upgrades

#377 4 years ago

Thanks Bill,
that thread explained it. I think a previous owner hacked it to make all of them G.I. but he never removed them from the switched circuit positive. Nothing like chasing a problem caused by two issues at the same time.

Think I will add the boob lighting when I’m finished. Btw the chick between the boobs.... Might add another light for for her butt!

#378 4 years ago

I was staring at those controlled lamps by the tube exit thinking about putting them in the GI circuit. You guys have convinced me. They are worthless as they are and the GI is dark over there!

#379 4 years ago

Seems like the ROM should be modified so those left side lamps are normally ON and flash off instead.

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Seems like the ROM should be modified so those left side lamps are normally ON and flash off instead.

Yeah it just wasn’t thought out very well. Someone should’ve come up with the idea to put flashing lights above the playfield.

As I said before, I’ve been playing this game for over 30 years and I never noticed they flash so the effect is completely lost. Might as well be GI.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yeah it just wasn’t thought out very well. Someone should’ve come up with the idea to put flashing lights above the playfield.
As I said before, I’ve been playing this game for over 30 years and I never noticed they flash so the effect is completely lost. Might as well be GI.

Yes, thanks mine are now!

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I thought the same. I ended up putting red led's in those 2 switched lamps by the side eject hole and in the 2 by the shooter gauge to have a better effect.

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I thought the same. I ended up putting red led's in those 2 switched lamps by the side eject hole and in the 2 by the shooter gauge to have a better effect.

Also the 2 ball multi was added very late in the design.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Also the 2 ball multi was added very late in the design.

I remember them discussing that in the Xenon presentation at Expo a few years ago. At lunchtime one of the designers/engineers would play test the game and would throw a second ball on the playfield because he liked the multiball play. So they adopted multiball into the rules.

#385 4 years ago

Nevermind fixed it

#386 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to turn on attract mode on a xenon? Thanks in advance.

#387 4 years ago
Quoted from Roy6585:

Can anyone tell me how to turn on attract mode on a xenon? Thanks in advance.

It's one of the dip switches on the mpu. Can't remember which but it might be listed in the back box tech sheets. Power down game before changing and settings.

1 week later
#388 4 years ago

Mine's coming together!

Does anyone have any scans of the plastics or backglass?

#389 4 years ago

Looking for the Guide Wires for the lower flipper feed. Mine snapped and I haven't found any that are the right size. Any ideas other than bending my own?

#390 4 years ago

As far as I know, unless you find someone parting out a playfield, you're bending your own.
Marcos has a decent jig and wire you can use to start with.

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from JDissen87:

As far as I know, unless you find someone parting out a playfield, you're bending your own.
Marcos has a decent jig and wire you can use to start with.

That's what I did, and added more flow at the same time.

777a9a723242f8cf1f9b8febbe199116b4d1b281 (resized).jpg777a9a723242f8cf1f9b8febbe199116b4d1b281 (resized).jpg
#392 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Pinsomniac:

Looking for the Guide Wires for the lower flipper feed. Mine snapped and I haven't found any that are the right size. Any ideas other than bending my own?

I did the same thing on mine, I happened to have a Fireball Home Edition and the rails were an exact match ( not sure what the part number would be or what other tables would be the same )

note: I JUST SWAPPED the lower half with the little bend on it
ebay.com link: Bally Fireball 76 Pinball Machine Home Ed Playfield Metal Ball Guides Wires

#393 4 years ago

Another Xenon owner here.

I bought the boards and displays and got the rest free! It is missing the backglass (so if anyone has a good scan, it would really help me out). It was left in a damp unventilated place for about 6 years. It has the dreaded woodworm, even on the playfield! The seller was going to burn it. I'm currently drying it out and treating the woodworm, and then putting in quarantine until I am sure it's cured.

IMG_20190915_114524981 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_114524981 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_114532811 (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_114532811 (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_203053366 (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_203053366 (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_205411821 (resized).jpgIMG_20190915_205411821 (resized).jpg
#394 4 years ago

Good luck with the restoration... Congratulations.

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Good luck with the restoration... Congratulations.

Thanks, I have started a shop log on pinside https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/bally-xenon.43907/

I have a question about post colors, I see that most people are using blue posts, but the originals are more of an orange/yellow color. Is this just a color preference? Has anyone used red or clear posts?

Also, are there any playfield/side art/backglass scans available online?

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from dombutler:

I have a question about post colors, I see that most people are using blue posts, but the originals are more of an orange/yellow color.

Xenon OEM post color was a light blue color.
The post colors over the years have gotten oxidized.
The ribbed post reproduced today is of a darker blue color.
Xenon might look fantastic with clear posts.
--------------------------------------------
Note: Xenon came with red filters for the G.I. lamps...
----1) Four red filters for the top arch.
----2) Four red filters for the 1,2,3,4, behind the D/T.
----3) Two blue filters for the left G.I. flasher FX.

#397 4 years ago

I'm getting my 3rd Xenon restoration under way. I completely stripped the base cabinet. It was really rough, huge chunks of wood missing on the rear corner and lower front middle. One side was bowed inward. So I decided to get a new cab made. I had to take it apart in order for the wood shop to copy the 4 sides, cross members for the bottom and behind coin door. Also redoing the mount for the back box. So it will basically be a new cabinet when complete. Here's today's damage. I'm also taking a poll here. For the bottom do I use 1/4 inch ply, MDF or pressed hardboard?

P9210098 (resized).JPGP9210098 (resized).JPGP9210099 (resized).JPGP9210099 (resized).JPGP9210101 (resized).JPGP9210101 (resized).JPGP9210102 (resized).JPGP9210102 (resized).JPGP9210103 (resized).JPGP9210103 (resized).JPGP9210104 (resized).JPGP9210104 (resized).JPG
#398 4 years ago

1/4 ply or pressed hardboard, not mdf!

Does anyone have any color codes for painting the cab? I am making my own stencils, but finding it hard to match the paint as the cabinet has faded.
Would Rust oleum brilliant blue and cherry red be correct?

Thanks,
Dom.

#399 4 years ago
Quoted from dombutler:

Does anyone have any color codes for painting the cab? I am making my own stencils, but finding it hard to match the paint as the cabinet has faded.
Thanks,
Dom.</blockquote

Maui blue and sunrise red are a close match

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from dombutler:

Thanks,
Dom.

I just found this a couple months ago for the blue it's Rustoleum 2X satin Oasis blue. Judging by the cap it's a real close match. I haven't tried to match the red yet. Reds are pretty easy though, maybe rustoleum apple red? You want it on the darker red side I believe. I'm impressed that you are making your own stencils, why not use Pimp's? I made my own for F2K and was a ton of work, luckily F2K doesn't have intricate artwork. What material are you using for the stencils?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.