Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230304_185226 (resized).jpg
20230304_185219 (resized).jpg
20230304_185136 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 46.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Maybe he doesn't have a new one laying around??

Maybe, but you can't clean an old one. The carbon and metal flakes are embedded into the nylon.

Buy a bag of them (50 for $15), cause almost every coil uses that same sleeve

Wipe the plunger off with alcohol so you don't contaminate the new sleeve

#252 5 years ago

I don't know about everyone else, but you get completely screwed on shipping unless you have a big order all at once. That .50 piece turns into $10 because it's the only thing you need.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't know about everyone else, but you get completely screwed on shipping unless you have a big order all at once. That .50 piece turns into $10 because it's the only thing you need.

Definitely a challenge for anything ordered versus being able to buy locally but some vendors are definitely worse than others. It is one of the reasons I use Pinball Resource so much.

#254 5 years ago

If he needs one I have plenty.

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That .50 piece turns into $10 because it's the only thing you need.

Just 5 minutes of labor to go pick your part, put it in an envelope and print a label would cost more than .50 cents.

#256 5 years ago

I miss mine too, it was mylared but way back then there wasn't an internet so I didn't trust trying to remove it without possibly screwing things up.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

I have a Xenon that I recently restored, came out great, just having a few issues that I hope someone can shed some light on. After plugging everything back in I learned I had a few wires on incorrectly, which was fixed and machine started up after. the first issue now, the outhole ejector fires very faintly and will not advance the ball up the guides to start a game. If I push the ball up manually it will start up and can play. Secondly, I had great flippers before restoration and now the left flipper is rather weak and also sticks at times for a few seconds. Change EOS?
thanks for the suggestions

What was the problem causing the weak flipper?

#258 5 years ago

So an update, I took the coil mech apart for ball trough. I simply cleaned the plunger and the coil sleeve (yes I don't feel like ordering one and paying shipping cost, at least at this time. I recently ordered $250 worth of items from Pinball Life and Marco...when I build a significant list up again to justify shipping cost it will be on the list). I also replaced coil stop. It works perfectly now. If the problem returns I will modify to raise the ball guide up higher to decrease angle.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

What was the problem causing the weak flipper?

I still haven't completely nailed this one down yet. I replaced EOS, have yet to rebuild. My inexperience led me to purchase just a nylon bushing, coil stop, and sleeve. Wish I would've done a rebuild kit. I also replaced the cabinet flipper switches, which significantly helped, as the are a lot tighter now. Down the road I will do the flipper modification to Fliptronic

#260 5 years ago

Here are few pics of the restoration. Overlay turned out pretty good. A fun machine and classic, will be a keeper.

IMG_2973 (resized).jpgIMG_2973 (resized).jpgIMG_3215 (resized).jpgIMG_3215 (resized).jpgIMG_3217 (resized).jpgIMG_3217 (resized).jpgIMG_3227 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_3227 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_3254 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_3254 (002) (resized).jpg

#261 5 years ago

Wow, your PF damage was worse then mine! I'm thing of replacing the playfield, on the list for the next run, fingers crossed.

IMG_1321 (resized).jpgIMG_1321 (resized).jpg
#262 5 years ago
Quoted from Craigb:

I'm thing of replacing the playfield, on the list for the next run, fingers crossed.

Worth every penny.

#263 5 years ago

Hi all. I have an issue with my right hand side targets where they get stuck up high. I tightened checked and clean the mech underneath but any advice appreciated.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

That sure looks like an original Bally capacitor on that switch. I would start there.

Replacing that cap seems to have done the trick!

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. I have an issue with my right hand side targets where they get stuck up high. I tightened checked and clean the mech underneath but any advice appreciated.

Does, the flipper move freely with game off, not rubbing on playfield, coil sleeve, not binding?

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Did they used to work for you?

Did this happen after a playfield swap or new rubbers?

#267 5 years ago

They were working ok.
The long bracket on the target bank came loose and I retightened. Only one now getting stuck. I will try and get some pics.
Thanks for the replies so far.

20181112_134132 (resized).jpg20181112_134132 (resized).jpg
#268 5 years ago

On a plus got to fit my custom coin inserts as well!

20181112_151236 (resized).jpg20181112_151236 (resized).jpg
#270 5 years ago

Well I was able to verify that the game will play...so the tear down begins. Definitely needs some attention.

I'll keep you posted. I will have a couple of project playfields for sale if anyone is interested

20181016_162603 (resized).jpg20181016_162603 (resized).jpg20181016_162614 (resized).jpg20181016_162614 (resized).jpg20181016_162620 (resized).jpg20181016_162620 (resized).jpg20181117_154214 (resized).jpg20181117_154214 (resized).jpg20181117_154224 (resized).jpg20181117_154224 (resized).jpg20181117_154237 (resized).jpg20181117_154237 (resized).jpg20181117_154252 (resized).jpg20181117_154252 (resized).jpg

#271 5 years ago

timab2000 do you have the backglass?

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

timab2000 do you have the backglass?

Yes I do it's not in the best shape would like to find a nicer one

#273 5 years ago

Anybody have any playfield and backglass scans to share? Thanks!

1 week later
#274 5 years ago

Made some progress on my game in the past couple of days. Cleaned the bottom of cabinet, repaired the bad and busted area in the back cabinet fiberboard or whatever they call it.

Cleaned up the coin box plate and replace some of the wood for that, and cleaned up the transformer/rectifier plate. Looks better than it did. I'll post more as I get to it.

Tim

20181117_154224 (resized).jpg20181117_154224 (resized).jpg20181128_151147 (resized).jpg20181128_151147 (resized).jpg20181128_151227 (resized).jpg20181128_151227 (resized).jpg20181117_154214 (resized).jpg20181117_154214 (resized).jpg20181128_151441 (resized).jpg20181128_151441 (resized).jpg20181126_135410 (resized).jpg20181126_135410 (resized).jpg20181128_151018 (resized).jpg20181128_151018 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#275 5 years ago

Decided to start a new post on the makeover of my Xenon, rather than clog this one up. If you are interested here is the link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-gets-a-makeover-on-a-budget-hopefully

Thanks Tim

2 weeks later
#276 5 years ago

Does anyone know where I might find a reproduction power supply warning decal you know, the yellow sticker that goes on the power supply board believe it has red lettering. Thanks in advance

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Does anyone know where I might find a reproduction power supply warning decal you know, the yellow sticker that goes on the power supply board believe it has red lettering. Thanks in advance

a Pinsider that restored a Bally Eight Ball Deluxe had the decal reproduced.
Check the Bally Eight Ball Deluxe club.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Silly question time, what do the pop bumpers score on xenon? The manual and the instructions in pinball arcade say 100 per hit, mine however are behaving very strangely, giving anything from 100 to 1600. Maybe a faulty diode somewhere?

Following on from my initial post, here's a vid of the scoring from pop bumper hits. I haven't been able to spend any time on it yet as its at a friends house not local to me. In the video you can see me activate the 4 pop bumpers, the first one scores 800 every time, 2nd and 3rd score 100 each correctly, and the 4th scores anything from 100 to over 1000. I'm pretty sure no other switches are being activated by vibration. I notice each switch has a diode and a capacitor on so I'm thinking ( hoping! ) they are causing the problem and it'll be as easy as replacing those. Anyone seen anything like this before?

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

In the video you can see me activate the 4 pop bumpers, the first one scores 800 every time, 2nd and 3rd score 100 each correctly, and the 4th scores anything from 100 to over 1000.

The 4th pop bumper is scoring 800 points in the video like the first pop bumper.

A clue is that the two yellow standup targets on the left side each score 700 points so that's probably where the extra score is coming from. You'll need to work out if it's a vibration issue or switch matrix issue. First off, put a piece of paper between the contacts on both of those yellow target switch contacts to stop them activating and see what happens to the pop bumper scores.

The pop bumpers and those yellow targets all have capacitors on them, make sure none of the caps has broken a lead.

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The 4th pop bumper is scoring 800 points in the video like the first pop bumper.
A clue is that the two yellow standup targets on the left side each score 700 points so that's probably where the extra score is coming from. You'll need to work out if it's a vibration issue or switch matrix issue. First off, put a piece of paper between the contacts on both of those yellow target switch contacts to stop them activating and see what happens to the pop bumper scores.
The pop bumpers and those yellow targets all have capacitors on them, make sure none of the caps has broken a lead.

Thanks for the reply. In the video, yes, 800 for both but its just a short video, its not always 800. Good suggestion, I've just asked my friend to test your theory. Thanks.

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Thanks for the reply. In the video, yes, 800 for both but its just a short video, its not always 800.

Don't forget to go into switch test mode and check each switch one by one. You'll need to remove both balls and reset the drop targets up before you start the test so that there's no closed switches. Activate each switch starting from the highest number working your way to the lowest number as they're identified in the Xenon manual. It's important that you do it in reverse order and note any incorrect readings.

#282 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Don't forget to go into switch test mode and check each switch one by one. You'll need to remove both balls and reset the drop targets up before you start the test so that there's no closed switches. Activate each switch starting from the highest number working your way to the lowest number as they're identified in the Xenon manual. It's important that you do it in reverse order and note any incorrect readings.

Thanks very much for the info, my friend has confirmed one of the yellow standups was very sensitive and has adjusted it. Strange we didn't find this before as he had previously tried the thump the playfield method and not found the dodgy switch.

#283 5 years ago

Any of you Xenon troubleshooters want to take a crack at this one? Enter Xenon...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-interminent-coil-pulsing

1 month later
#284 5 years ago

Is there any interest in new transport tubes? With the Xenon logo (or anything else) laser engraved on there?

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Is there any interest in new transport tubes? With the Xenon logo (or anything else) laser engraved on there?

Any way to make the engraving light up, like engraved toppers do?

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Any way to make the engraving light up, like engraved toppers do?

You're one step ahead of me...
I was considering also offering a replacement for the bulb strip on the back with a modern equivalent - addressable LED's controlled by an Arduino. Breathing during normal gameplay and a chase effect when you hit the tube? Very customizable.
In terms of lighting up the engraving, I was looking at something like this: ebay.com link: 2x 40mm BLUE 12 Leds SMD Angel Eyes Car Head Light Halo Rings AC252
Ordered some to try out, might just fit perfect. One on each end of the tube could give a very nice effect!

2 weeks later
#287 5 years ago

hi - great thread... I have a near-mint Xenon I bought 10 yrs ago ($1100/ebay) and am looking to play it more often.

it has 2 problems, i was hoping you could help...

- left flipper has started becoming intermittent... any ideas? it works mostly fine if i hit both flippers at once, both L & R work... but on its own its sometimes slow or doesn't move ..now how am i gonna 'try a tube shot' like that? lol

- slow traveling ball gets stuck at start of tube where it meets small metal flange.. frustrating to have to slide glass down to poke it midgame...looks like a small indentation in metal at end of ramp.. should i try to flatten w/pliers? I saw a break in tube, small piece gone at lip, so i reversed tube, that may help

xenon is my only pin, im in my 50s, remember it from my younger years, love my xenon pin thx pin dudes

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from xenondude:

hi - great thread... I have a near-mint Xenon I bought 10 yrs ago ($1100/ebay) and am looking to play it more often.
it has 2 problems, i was hoping you could help...
- left flipper has started becoming intermittent... any ideas? it works mostly fine if i hit both flippers at once, both L & R work... but on its own its sometimes slow or doesn't move ..now how am i gonna 'try a tube shot' like that? lol
- slow traveling ball gets stuck at start of tube where it meets small metal flange.. frustrating to have to slide glass down to poke it midgame...looks like a small indentation in metal at end of ramp.. should i try to flatten w/pliers? I saw a break in tube, small piece gone at lip, so i reversed tube, that may help
xenon is my only pin, im in my 50s, remember it from my younger years, love my xenon pin thx pin dudes

My Xenon has the same issue at the tube entrance too. I also have the ball get stuck sitting on the top edge of the targets at the right, usually on the second or third targets. I have not really found a good solution to either issue.

For your flipper, I assume it is not mechanically binding. Try yanking on the solder joints in case that makes a change. Try shorting out the EOS switch and see if that makes the flipper has full power (don't hold the flipper button in that state it will quickly overheat). If that helps you can temporarily clean those contacts to get it working for a while.

#289 5 years ago

For the drop targets you need to raise them so they sit above the edge of the wood. Usually this is done with a piece of cardboard and some tape on the bottom which lifts them higher a bit.

For the tube...I think we'd need to see a picture of your tube area (entrance and exit). It should have an ever so slight downward slope to the left. One end of the tube should be notched and that is where it sits on the ramp (that piece that juts out)

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I also have the ball get stuck sitting on the top edge of the targets at the right, usually on the second or third targets. I have not really found a good solution to either issue.

Replace white posts with short blue posts and double rings.

shop-21 (resized).jpgshop-21 (resized).jpg

#291 5 years ago

thanks, good ideas!

#292 5 years ago

here's a video i filmed last night

#293 5 years ago

Dange! that video is a trip... .
No drugs needed.

#294 5 years ago

The Suzanne Ciani website has been modernized and all the old Xenon content appears to be gone. All the old links are dead...

https://www.sevwave.com/early_ciani/ciani_xenon.html

https://www.sevwave.com/early_ciani/ciani_xenon2.html

https://www.sevwave.com/early_ciani/ciani_xenon/xfiles/xenonQA.html

The content can still be viewed on the Wayback Machine.

#295 5 years ago

n/m wrong thread!

#296 5 years ago

I'm looking for a set of vocalizer roms. Does anyone know where these can be purchased or anyone out there that can burn a set for me? I have a working original set but they are causing some static and some of the speech calls are just plain rough. Sounds plus board and vocalizer board have been re-capped and I've already put a new pot on the sounds plus board. I've narrowed it down to the original rom chips being the culprit. Those things are just plain crusty. Let me know if you can help. Thanks.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from dmartin244:

I'm looking for a set of vocalizer roms. Does anyone know where these can be purchased or anyone out there that can burn a set for me? I have a working original set but they are causing some static and some of the speech calls are just plain rough. Sounds plus board and vocalizer board have been re-capped and I've already put a new pot on the sounds plus board. I've narrowed it down to the original rom chips being the culprit. Those things are just plain crusty. Let me know if you can help. Thanks.

If someone doesn't offer to do them for you, I know that Actionpinball.com carries them.

#298 5 years ago

Silly question for the group-
Does anybody know the meaning of mota as it pertains to Xenon. I have heard a couple theories one being it is simply atom spelled backwards, more commonly it is slang for marijuana!

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Silly question for the group-
Does anybody know the meaning of mota as it pertains to Xenon. I have heard a couple theories one being it is simply atom spelled backwards, more commonly it is slang for marijuana!

I always assumed it was the marijuana meaning..it even looks like a leaf. Not sure how that actually correlates with the game theme though.

#300 5 years ago

Xenon's acronyms are
1) KMIEC =
KINETIC
MOLECULAR
INTEGRATED
EVOLUTION
CYLINDER
2) MOTA =
MOLECULAR
OBJECT
TUBE
AWARD

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/6?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.