Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230304_185226 (resized).jpg
20230304_185219 (resized).jpg
20230304_185136 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 13-36-15 KAIWEETS KWS-105 5 in 1 Wire Stripping Tool Electrical Wire Pliers with Screw Cutter (resized)
WIN_20240213_155205 (resized).JPG
IMG_9722 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
20240131_182010 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240127_194309288 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231208_043805742 (resized).jpg
There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 46.
#1851 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If you're checking continuity in the wiring harness, you have to check continuity from the tube strip all the way to the SCR. If the pin inside the connector is bad or broken you can have continuity between the top of the connector on the lamp board and the connector on the tube strip, but you will not have continuity between the tube strip and the SCR.

Is there a way to test voltage at the of the wire to see if there’s some current passing?

1 week later
#1852 1 year ago

Can anyone help me out here? I’m reassembling my cabinet after a repaint and I can’t for the life of me figure out where these 4 metal bushings came from! They were in my cabinet hardware baggie but could conceivably have come from the backbox and got mixed up. Any ideas??

4521D1D0-5975-4C02-8309-2DE587EAA9C6 (resized).jpeg4521D1D0-5975-4C02-8309-2DE587EAA9C6 (resized).jpeg

#1853 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Can anyone help me out here? I’m reassembling my cabinet after a repaint and I can’t for the life of me figure out where these 4 metal bushings came from! They were in my cabinet hardware baggie but could conceivably have come from the backbox and got mixed up. Any ideas??

Light panel hinges in the backbox? I'll have to look at my game later. I just did a total tear down and rebuild on the PF, and don't recall those being anywhere.

#1854 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Lock down receiver. There should also be 4 thick flat washers and 4 thin flat washers. 4 8-32 by 5/8 inch machine screws and lock nuts.

#1855 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Lock down receiver. There should also be 4 thick flat washers and 4 thin flat washers. 4 8-32 by 5/8 inch machine screws and lock nuts.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! Many thanks!

#1856 1 year ago

Two questions:

I built and installed Wolffpacc tech LED scoring displays. Fantastic product BTW! Anyhow I’m getting a loud hum after plugging in the displays. It wasn’t there prior to plugging them in. Grounding issue??

Second, some of the vocalizations are a little garbled, like the “Try” in “Try Xenon”. It sounds almost like the speaker is overloaded but the sound doesn’t change with volume. The speakers are new. The main sound board has been recapped, I haven’t done anything to the vocalizer board though. Thoughts?

#1857 1 year ago

Two questions:
I built and installed Wolffpacc tech LED scoring displays. Fantastic product BTW! Anyhow I’m getting a loud hum after plugging in the displays. It wasn’t there prior to plugging them in. Grounding issue??
Second, some of the vocalizations are a little garbled, like the “Try” in “Try Xenon”. It sounds almost like the speaker is overloaded but the sound doesn’t change with volume. The speakers are new. The main sound board has been recapped, I haven’t done anything to the vocalizer board though. Thoughts?

Stupid question, did you connect the ground strap from cab to head? Transformer grounded properly? The transformer grounds between the metal mounting plate and the cab ground braid. The humming can be difficult to trace. I had this with an EBD, grounding the lamp driver board helped. Does the sound change when the scores switch from current to HSTD scores in attract mode?

Adding the LED score displays can rob too much of the 5V supply. You need to make sure all connectors involved have a solid connection.

Garbled speech, did you swap out the sound and speech pots with the re-cap? Turn the speech pot from low to high a few times and see if it improves. Clean with tuner spray if you have some. Try re-seating the 40 pin interconnect ribbon. Swap out speech pot if no improvement. Newer design has an enclosed case to keep dirt out. GPE has them. If that doesn't work, re-cap Vocalizer.

#1858 1 year ago

Awesome, thanks for all the info! Will follow your instructions. The strap is connected for sure, I didn’t remove the ground straps in the backbox but will recheck those.

#1859 1 year ago

That hum is there to stay with the Wolff pac displays. I tried every single recommendation on pinside and did a few alternative grounding mods and flooded this thread with questions and still the whole time the game is on - WHHHHOMMMMM EEEEEEEE WHHHHOOMMMMMMMM EEEEEEEEEE WHHHHHOMMMMMM EEEEEEE every time the game goes back and forth between last score and high score

#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

That hum is there to stay with the Wolff pac displays. I tried every single recommendation on pinside and did a few alternative grounding mods and flooded this thread with questions and still the whole time the game is on - WHHHHOMMMMM EEEEEEEE WHHHHOOMMMMMMMM EEEEEEEEEE WHHHHHOMMMMMM EEEEEEE every time the game goes back and forth between last score and high score

Hrm, that’s not encouraging. Have you talked with Wolffpac? Maybe he would have some ideas?

Also, has anyone tried Wolffpac displays with the upgraded soundboard from geeteoh?

https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/soundsplus.shtml

#1861 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Which game?

#1862 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

You have removed the fuses for the high voltage section - it is no longer needed with LED displays ?
On WPC games I even disconnect the high voltage connectors in the cabinet so nothing is (potentially) going into the backbox.

#1863 1 year ago

Xenon

Quoted from Zigzagzag:

You have removed the fuses for the high voltage section - it is no longer needed with LED displays ?
On WPC games I even disconnect the high voltage connectors in the cabinet so nothing is (potentially) going into the backbox.

Yeah popped the fuse out first thing

#1864 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

That is good to know. I was on the fence on getting these displays.

How loud/annoying is the hum?

#1865 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

That is good to know. I was on the fence on getting these displays.
How loud/annoying is the hum?

Likewise. I was going to get them for ebd, but now, eh!

I bought a set of Lisy displays from a fellow Pinsider for my current xe resto that I'm miles from installing, so I can't report a review for now.

#1866 1 year ago

The displays are awesome but for some reason they cause a hum in my xenon that is basically sound torture. Ive pretty much rebuilt the entire sound board and speech board, tried a couple things with grounding that barely helped. Theres a ground loop or something going on that I cant isolate.
I have the Wolff Pacs in my Firepower also and no issues on that game at all. If anyone figures out how to get rid of the hum they should be given a Nobel prize.

If I leave Xenon on in my basement game room, my wife can be sitting on our couch in the upstairs living room and say "You left Xenon on...."

#1867 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

The displays are awesome but for some reason they cause a hum in my xenon that is basically sound torture. Ive pretty much rebuilt the entire sound board and speech board, tried a couple things with grounding that barely helped. Theres a ground loop or something going on that I cant isolate.
I have the Wolff Pacs in my Firepower also and no issues on that game at all. If anyone figures out how to get rid of the hum they should be given a Nobel prize.
If I leave Xenon on in my basement game room, my wife can be sitting on our couch in the upstairs living room and say "You left Xenon on...."

I'm grasping here but have you thought about the line filter? Your game is picking up noise somehow. Perhaps in the transformer? If you have another bally with the cab mounted xformer it wouldn't be too much work to swap temporarily. Is the supply voltage high coming into the sound board? I had an early Alltek solenoid driver in a xe a while ago that had really high voltage to the sound board and it caused issues.

#1868 1 year ago

Replaced the C23 cap on the solenoid board? I had a wicked hum/whine on my Space Invaders when the display changed from last game score to high score, and replacing C23 knocked off about 80-90% of that noise.

#1869 1 year ago

I have Pintech displays in my Xenon and there is no hum. Bally display hum is a common occurrence on older games with analog sound boards. The fix is to ground float the sound board off the mounts by using plastic washers. You may want to try that with the Sounds plus board. Temporarily unmount it and let it float without connected to the metal ground.

Also, verify your earth ground is good by plugging an outlet tester into the service outlet.

#1870 1 year ago

Anyhow I’m getting a loud hum after plugging in the displays.

If by chance you have any handy, try replacing capacitor C24 on the solenoid driver board with a tantalum 2.2uF 35V cap.

#1871 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:Replaced the C23 cap on the solenoid board? I had a wicked hum/whine on my Space Invaders when the display changed from last game score to high score, and replacing C23 knocked off about 80-90% of that noise.

I rebuilt an original Driver board and recapped it, then also did a swap with a new alltek, the alltek actually made the back and forth display hums louder.

Quoted from Quench:

If by chance you have any handy, try replacing capacitor C24 on the solenoid driver board with a tantalum 2.2uF 35V cap.

I havent tried replacing with a tantalum on C24

#1872 1 year ago

I'm working on bringing back to life this beautiful machine.
All is going well.
I found this tiny copper cable disconnect in the tilt bob area.
One side is attached to the screw again the wall, but where the other side goes??
Any help will be really appreciated

20221006_155624 (resized).jpg20221006_155624 (resized).jpg20221006_155628 (resized).jpg20221006_155628 (resized).jpg20221006_155652 (resized).jpg20221006_155652 (resized).jpg
#1873 1 year ago

Question, on my Xenon resto:

The trough kicker seems to be having trouble getting the ball over the hump in the ball trough. Adjust the arm? Is there a rubber cap piece that goes on there?
271B4F11-2574-4037-8728-E734FFBE5C33 (resized).jpeg271B4F11-2574-4037-8728-E734FFBE5C33 (resized).jpeg

#1874 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

I'm working on bringing back to life this beautiful machine.
All is going well.
I found this tiny copper cable disconnect in the tilt bob area.
One side is attached to the screw again the wall, but where the other side goes??
Any help will be really appreciated
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like it came unsoldered from the tilt rod

Bally Xenon pendulum (resized).jpgBally Xenon pendulum (resized).jpg
#1875 1 year ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Looks like it came unsoldered from the tilt rod[quoted image]

Thank you !!!!!

#1876 1 year ago

I'm missing one of the white plastic bands that hold the tube in place. I'm missing the one close to the ramp.
Do you know what part is it and
where I can find one of those??

20221007_120751 (resized).jpg20221007_120751 (resized).jpg20221007_120759 (resized).jpg20221007_120759 (resized).jpg
#1877 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

I'm missing one of the white plastic bands that hold the tube in place. I'm missing the one close to the ramp.
Do you know what part is it and
where I can find one of those??
[quoted image][quoted image]

Sending a PM

#1878 1 year ago

Here’s a dumb question, what keeps the metal arch at the top under the correct tension? Is there a screw that goes through the wood rail and holds it? Mine isn’t pushing back against the posts correctly when installed.

#1879 1 year ago

Question, on my Xenon resto:
The trough kicker seems to be having trouble getting the ball over the hump in the ball trough. Adjust the arm? Is there a rubber cap piece that goes on there?
[quoted image]

Same problem as mine. Is it a CPR playfield? I believe the mech is not in the correct position.

#1880 1 year ago

Here’s a dumb question, what keeps the metal arch at the top under the correct tension? Is there a screw that goes through the wood rail and holds it? Mine isn’t pushing back against the posts correctly when installed.

There are grooves under the post caps that grip the arch. You have to push and hold the arch rail against the posts as you tighten the tops down.

#1881 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Same problem as mine. Is it a CPR playfield? I believe the mech is not in the correct position.

I swapped 2 cpr xenon and didn't have that problem on either. Try a stronger coil?

#1882 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

There are grooves under the post caps that grip the arch. You have to push and hold the arch rail against the posts as you tighten the tops down.

Yep, that was it. Thanks!

#1883 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I swapped 2 cpr xenon and didn't have that problem on either. Try a stronger coil?

I loosened the mount screws and the mount won't shift forward at all. I thought about the idea of a stronger coil as well??

Is it possible the mount holes are slightly off and it's not hitting the ball with enough force?
As another option, what if I put some sort of hard plastic sleeve on the end of the arm? Make it slightly longer??

Not sure, I'm not excited about removing the mount and drilling new holes but if that is the only solution...

#1884 1 year ago

I loosened the mount screws and the mount won't shift forward at all. I thought about the idea of a stronger coil as well??
Is it possible the mount holes are slightly off and it's not hitting the ball with enough force?
As another option, what if I put some sort of hard plastic sleeve on the end of the arm? Make it slightly longer??
Not sure, I'm not excited about removing the mount and drilling new holes but if that is the only solution...

Fixed. I filled the prior holes with wood glue and a toothpick. Shifted the whole bracket forward about 1/16” and redrilled. Works great now.

#1885 1 year ago

I had the same situation awhile back on EBD. I noticed the kicker arm wasn’t sitting near enough to the ball, when the ball was at rest in the outhole. Moving the kicker arm slightly, so that it rested slightly against the ball, solved the issue completely! It has more momentum when it “pushes” the ball, rather than “smacking” it, to get it into the shooter lane. I did that by beefing up the plastic bumper with a small piece of thicker plastic tubing. Not had a problem since!

603A71DC-5361-4B48-9F1A-282ED85F39FB (resized).jpeg603A71DC-5361-4B48-9F1A-282ED85F39FB (resized).jpeg
#1886 1 year ago

Is there a rubber cap piece that goes on there?
[quoted image]

No, the kicker arm is bare metal.

#1887 1 year ago

Ok last gremlin (hopefully). Everything seems to be working fine except the machine fires two balls into the shooter lane at the start of the game. I get the "Enter Xenon" prompt twice and two balls fire. I have checked the trough switch and adjusted it, seems to be fine. I checked the tube shot saucer hole switch and adjusted that one as well thinking maybe it though there was a ball there, no change.
Any ideas?

#1888 1 year ago

That part takes a little finesse to get it to set right.
You kind of have to find the "sweet spot"... slide/push the rail around..
slight curve bends... etc,etc,etc.
Then do final setting as Lovef2k writes post #1880.

#1889 1 year ago

Ok last gremlin (hopefully). Everything seems to be working fine except the machine fires two balls into the shooter lane at the start of the game. I get the "Enter Xenon" prompt twice and two balls fire. I have checked the trough switch and adjusted it, seems to be fine. I checked the tube shot saucer hole switch and adjusted that one as well thinking maybe it though there was a ball there, no change.
Any ideas?

There’s probably 10 different ways to fix this throughout the thread

#1890 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

There’s probably 10 different ways to fix this throughout the thread

Doh! Search function is my friend.

Yeah, bad microswitch. I disconnected it and problem solved.

#1891 1 year ago

99.9% done. I have the upgraded sound card on the way but otherwise she is in play and find bugs mode. So far, no further issues!

Thanks so much to all on the thread that helped me turn this:
C53AAE5E-ADD1-4FF9-8462-BCEEBCB7D21E (resized).jpegC53AAE5E-ADD1-4FF9-8462-BCEEBCB7D21E (resized).jpegD4EF45C7-017E-4909-99BF-29DD1C667E1C (resized).jpegD4EF45C7-017E-4909-99BF-29DD1C667E1C (resized).jpeg

Into this:
754FFB4D-78EB-476F-835E-7197D69DF165 (resized).jpeg754FFB4D-78EB-476F-835E-7197D69DF165 (resized).jpegDB9C433E-0B8D-4E7A-A02D-A1DE8D7A89E5 (resized).jpegDB9C433E-0B8D-4E7A-A02D-A1DE8D7A89E5 (resized).jpeg

#1892 1 year ago

I am back in the club. I have been looking far and wide for this girl and settled on this example to restore. This one comes with the uber-rare metal vacuum hose tube shot mod already installed. How lucky can a guy get ? EA679144-59E3-436F-862E-9E88E1645EB4 (resized).jpegEA679144-59E3-436F-862E-9E88E1645EB4 (resized).jpeg46B9D13E-2A9F-4A01-B2DC-587EA1B9B4F1 (resized).jpeg46B9D13E-2A9F-4A01-B2DC-587EA1B9B4F1 (resized).jpeg

#1893 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I am back in the club. I have been looking far and wide for this girl and settled on this example to restore. This one comes with the uber-rare metal vacuum hose tube shot mod already installed. How lucky can a guy get ? [quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome back. Other than the vacuum tube she looks complete.

#1894 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I am back in the club. I have been looking far and wide for this girl and settled on this example to restore. This one comes with the uber-rare metal vacuum hose tube shot mod already installed. How lucky can a guy get ? [quoted image][quoted image]

Im curious to hear the sound the ball makes going through that tube LOL

#1895 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Im curious to hear the sound the ball makes going through that tube LOL

Probably more like a high pitched cry of pain rather than an "ooh" or an "aah", or so I have heard.

#1896 1 year ago

99.9% done. I have the upgraded sound card on the way but otherwise she is in play and find bugs mode. So far, no further issues!
Thanks so much to all on the thread that helped me turn this:
Into this:

Where did you get those apron cards?

#1897 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I bet that metal tube sounds strange. That be the first thing to go. Welcome back to the club.

#1898 1 year ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

Where did you get those apron cards?

Mr_Tantrum

#1899 1 year ago

I'm happy with the restoration results....I'm new to the club.

20221014_175055 (resized).jpg20221014_175055 (resized).jpg20221014_175404 (resized).jpg20221014_175404 (resized).jpg20221014_175600 (resized).jpg20221014_175600 (resized).jpg20221014_175603 (resized).jpg20221014_175603 (resized).jpg20221014_175608 (resized).jpg20221014_175608 (resized).jpg20221014_175616 (resized).jpg20221014_175616 (resized).jpg20221014_175620 (resized).jpg20221014_175620 (resized).jpg20221014_175627 (resized).jpg20221014_175627 (resized).jpg20221014_175631 (resized).jpg20221014_175631 (resized).jpg
#1900 1 year ago

I will ask this question in the nicest way, but you do know that the posts for Xenon came from the factory as blue ?

Over time, most Xenon posts faded to pink and yours are no different.

Some people like the look of pink or don't know that the original color was blue.

Not a right or wrong decision, just curious why you used the original faded to pink posts instead of new blue ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

There are 2,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.